Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No internet via wireless

No internet via wireless

RipperT

I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a Toshiba
laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing several
times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's MAC address
to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the modem and router
several times, tried different cables and XP shows that it's connected with
WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages except for the routers
setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer cannot display the page"
error. If I remove the network patch cable from the router and plug directly
into the computer, I can get internet. I have disabled all firewalls (except
the router's built in). Can someone guide me on what to check for next?
Many thanx,
Ripper

Phillip Windell

"RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
news:ewAwc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
>Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
>several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
>MAC address to the router,

Don't clone anything. These things are designed so the average clue-less
"home user" can get them working. So if you have to go through complex steps
and complex configurations then you are most likely going down the wrong
path.

> rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the modem and router several
> times, tried different cables and XP shows that it's connected with WPA
> security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages except for the routers
> setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer cannot display the page"
> error. If I remove the network patch cable from the router and plug
> directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have disabled all
> firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide me on what to
> check for next?

Try things in this order..

1. Forget the wireless, disable the wireless nic, and for the moment
physically plug the laptop into one of the LAN Switch ports on the back of
the WRT54G. I do *not* mean unplug the Internet cable and plug that into
the laptop,...the WRT needs to stay in the game. If you still get no
internet access then the wireless was never your problem to begin with and
you will have to troubleshoot at this point from this perspective. If you
do get access then move on to dealing with the wireless

2. Forget the security at the moment and run it as an open network.
Connect wirelessly and see if you get proper results. If it works then move
on to enabling the WPA security. If it does not work there is either
something wrong with the wireless components of the WRT or the wireless nic
of the laptop,...or maybe an incompatibility between the two.

3. Configure the WPA carefully. Do make any typos. After connected try to
ping something that is outside on the internet. Do it by *IP#*,..not by
name. For example try pinging Google by "ping 64.233.167.147" If it pings
then you have a valid connection. Now try it by name "ping www.google.com".
If it pings you are good to go,...if it fails you have DNS configuration
issues.

Jack often post some links that he has that should be good to help you
troubleshoot beyond the simple things I suggested. Here are the links he
usually posts:

Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Pavel A.

"(E-Mail Removed)>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
news:ewAwc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
> Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
> several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
> MAC address to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the
> modem and router several times, tried different cables and XP shows that
> it's connected with WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages
> except for the routers setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer
> cannot display the page" error. If I remove the network patch cable from
> the router and plug directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have
> disabled all firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide
> me on what to check for next?
> Many thanx,
> Ripper

Pardon me if this is too obvious.... but how the router is supposed
to connect to the internet?
Have you set it to connect automatically, or you start the
connection manually from the PC, thru PPPoE etc.?

--PA

Lem

RipperT < wrote:
> I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a Toshiba
> laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing several
> times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's MAC address
> to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the modem and router
> several times, tried different cables and XP shows that it's connected with
> WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages except for the routers
> setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer cannot display the page"
> error. If I remove the network patch cable from the router and plug directly
> into the computer, I can get internet. I have disabled all firewalls (except
> the router's built in). Can someone guide me on what to check for next?
> Many thanx,
> Ripper

You've got 3 or 4 different things going on simultaneously. Step back
and do it systematically.

First of all, are you certain that the wireless adapter in the laptop is
on and working? That is, can you get to the "View available wireless
networks" display? If not, check for a physical and/or Fn+Fkey combo to
turn the adapter on/off. Check in Device Manager. Make sure that
*either* Windows WZC *or* the manufacturer's wireless configuration
utility is running -- not both.

If you're sure that the laptop end of things is working properly, reset
the router to factory defaults. Access the router's web configuration
utility, go to Administration > Factory Defaults, select "Yes" and click
Save Changes. Otherwise, press the "reset" button on the back panel.
The manuals generally say to press this for about 10 seconds, but
sometimes you have to give it a little more encouragement, as follows:
keep the reset button pressed while you remove power from the router and
then reconnect the power; keep the reset button pressed for 30 seconds
or more after you reconnect the router's power.

What sort of broadband device are you connecting to? If it's a DSL
modem, you don't have to clone the MAC address.

On the other hand, some ISP-supplied DSL modems (notably Earthlink) are
default set to UHP mode in which they are, in effect, one-port routers.
When you connect the modem directly to the computer and successfully get
to the Internet, do you have to enter a user name and password? If you
have a DSL connection and your modem does *not* require a
userid/password, then you need to reconfigure the modem (not the router)
to operate in bridge mode and use the PPPoE connection mode of the WRT54G.

It may be possible, although I haven't tried it, to leave such modems in
UHP mode and then use the "accept a DHCP address" connection mode of the
WRT54G.

Cable connections, unlike DSL connections, are usually setup to provide
the device connected to the cable modem with an automatic IP address.
So, in the WRT54G, you need to select that option for "Internet
connection type."

Once you have the correct connection type, connect a computer to one of
the WRT54G's LAN ports, login to the configuration utility, go to the
"Status" page and confirm that the WRT54G itself is really connected to
the Internet. If it isn't, and if you have a cable connection, here is
where you may have to clone the MAC address of the PC that was
originally connected to the cable modem (although often these will reset
after some period of disconnection).

Now that you're positive that the WRT54G is connected to the Internet,
leave the computer connected to the LAN port and try to surf. If you
can't, there's something peculiar going on, possibly a defective router.
Check the IP address of the computer using ipconfig /all. It should
be 192.168.1.xxx. The default gateway should be 192.168.1.1.

Only after you can successfully get to the Internet by connecting to one
of the WRT54G's LAN ports should you start to configure the wireless
settings. Start by changing the SSID, but do *not* disable SSID
broadcast. Set the wireless network mode as appropriate. Pick a
channel: use either 1, 6, or 11. Leave *all* other wireless settings at
their defaults.

Disconnect the cable to the LAN port and try to connect wirelessly. OK?
If no, is the SSID you created visible in "View available wireless
networks"? What happens when you try to connect?

If yes, reconnect the cable to the LAN port, log back into the router,
and *now* configure the wireless encryption. Pick WPA2-PSK, assuming
that the Toshiba can handle WPA2. Do not add any other wireless
security measures or "access restrictions." Disconnect the LAN cable
and try to connect. What happens?

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

John

What type of broadband connection you got?
DSL? Cable modem?

"RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
news:ewAwc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
>Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
>several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
>MAC address to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the
>modem and router several times, tried different cables and XP shows that
>it's connected with WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages
>except for the routers setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer
>cannot display the page" error. If I remove the network patch cable from
>the router and plug directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have
>disabled all firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide me
>on what to check for next?
> Many thanx,
> Ripper

RipperT

Many thanx to all who replied. It is a cable connection. As it turns out
(using Phillip's and Lem's helpful steps) I was supposed to clone the MAC
address, as I've often had to with Linksys/Comcast. I originally cloned the
laptops' adapters' address. I subsequently allowed the Linksys setup utility
to clone the computer's MAC address (not the adapter), then joy.
Thanx again,
Ripper

"RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
news:ewAwc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
>Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
>several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
>MAC address to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the
>modem and router several times, tried different cables and XP shows that
>it's connected with WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages
>except for the routers setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer
>cannot display the page" error. If I remove the network patch cable from
>the router and plug directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have
>disabled all firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide me
>on what to check for next?
> Many thanx,
> Ripper

Barb Bowman

Actually, if you are using a Comcast cable modem, all you should
need to do is power cycle the cable modem if you put a different
Ethernet device behind it.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

ripperT

Barb Bowman wrote:
> Actually, if you are using a Comcast cable modem, all you should
> need to do is power cycle the cable modem if you put a different
> Ethernet device behind it.
>
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:05:56 -0400, "RipperT" <<RiPpErT>@nOsPaM.nEt>
> wrote:
>
>> Many thanx to all who replied. It is a cable connection. As it turns out
>> (using Phillip's and Lem's helpful steps) I was supposed to clone the MAC
>> address, as I've often had to with Linksys/Comcast. I originally cloned the
>> laptops' adapters' address. I subsequently allowed the Linksys setup utility
>> to clone the computer's MAC address (not the adapter), then joy.
>> Thanx again,
>> Ripper
>>
>> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
>> news:ewAwc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
>>> Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
>>> several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
>>> MAC address to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the
>>> modem and router several times, tried different cables and XP shows that
>>> it's connected with WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages
>>> except for the routers setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer
>>> cannot display the page" error. If I remove the network patch cable from
>>> the router and plug directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have
>>> disabled all firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide me
>>> on what to check for next?
>>> Many thanx,
>>> Ripper
>>>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Thanx, Barb, I will certainly try that next time. A definite time saver.
Rip