Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Wireless Internet in 2009 Chryslers

Wireless Internet in 2009 Chryslers

Agent Smith

Chrysler will offer wireless Internet access in 2009 models

latimes.com/business/la-fi-wificar25-2008jun25,0,1676276.story

The struggling automaker's announcement comes shortly before California
enacts a law that requires hands-free cellphone use while driving.

By Ken Bensinger, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 25, 2008

Have you ever thought rush hour on the 405 Freeway might be more
bearable if you could check your e-mail, shop for a book on Amazon,
place some bids on EBay and maybe even, if nobody is looking, download a
little porn?

Then perhaps you should be driving a Chrysler.

The nation's third-largest automaker is set to announce Thursday that
it's making wireless Internet an option on all its 2009 models. The
mobile hotspot, called UConnect Web, would be the first such technology
from any automaker.

Struggling Chrysler is hoping that providing motorists access to the
information superhighway will set it apart from competitors and help
reverse a dismal year; through May, sales are down 19.3% compared with
2007, the worst drop-off in the industry.

"It's a notion of always wanting to be connected wherever you are," said
Scott Slagle, Chrysler's senior manager of global marketing strategy,
who has been testing the technology since last week, allowing his
daughters to surf the Web from the back seat. "There's a demand for
that."

Coincidentally, Wi-Fi on wheels is being unveiled just days before new
hands-free legislation goes into effect July 1 in California and
Washington state. Those laws, designed to reduce accidents caused by
driver distraction, prohibit talking on a cellular phone without a
headset or other hands-free device.

Perhaps not surprisingly, safety advocates were less than overwhelmed by
Chrysler's innovation.

"Surfing the Web is something people really don't have any business
doing while they drive," said Jonathan Adkins, spokesman for the
Governors Highway Safety Assn. "It's definitely a distraction."

His and other safety groups say the only way to drive safely is without
using any electronic devices, headset or no.

Chrysler says that when the car is in motion, the service is intended to
be used only by passengers. The privately held company acknowledges,
however, that there is no way to prevent a driver from steering with one
hand and Web surfing with the other.

"We're relying on the responsibility of the consumer to follow
appropriate legislation," said Keefe Leung, Chrysler's engineer for the
product.

In that case, Californians tempted to Google and drive can breathe a big
sigh of relief: The new laws don't proscribe use of computers or the
Web, except for drivers under 18 years old. There is a different law on
the books preventing the use of television screens or video screens
farther forward than the rear of the front seats, but it's unclear
whether that measure applies to computers browsing the Internet.

State Sen. Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto), who authored the California laws,
is trying to clarify that situation. He's introduced legislation
prohibiting drivers from using any "mobile service device" (including
computers) or text-messaging while driving.

"It's great to see technology advance," Simitian said. "But this raises
a lot of concerns."

In Chrysler's defense, it's not the first company to offer Internet
access in cars. Avis Rent A Car introduced Avis Connect in January 2007.
Like UConnect Web, Avis Connect (which costs $10.95 a day) operates on
the 3G network using a cellular-based signal.

The device used by Avis is also available through its manufacturer,
Autonet Mobile, for $595 plus a $39 monthly subscription rate. Users get
download speeds of 600 megabits to 800 megabits per second.

Avis spokesman John Barrows said the device, which is portable, is
fairly popular but not in as much demand as GPS units.

"We emphasize that this is not for use by the driver while operating the
vehicle," Barrows said.

Chrysler will formally roll out the technology Thursday at an event in
Detroit spotlighting its 2009 lineup, which will appear in showrooms in
September. The automaker did not disclose pricing, but said there would
probably be a base charge for the option, plus a monthly or annual fee.

UConnect Web is an extension of the company's UConnect system, which
provides Bluetooth connectivity for cellphones and MP3 player
integration with the car stereo. Rival Ford provides similar services,
but without Web access, in its popular Sync system.

With the added Internet connectivity, drivers and passengers will be
able to get such devices as laptop computers and Nintendo Wii consoles
online. As to what users can download while in the car, Chrysler's Leung
said anything was fair game.

"There are no limitations in content," he said.

Morghan Phoenix

Agent Smith wrote:

> [...]
> vehicle," Barrows said.
>
> Chrysler will formally roll out the technology Thursday at an event in
> Detroit spotlighting its 2009 lineup, which will appear in showrooms in
> September. The automaker did not disclose pricing, but said there would
> probably be a base charge for the option, plus a monthly or annual fee.
>
> UConnect Web is an extension of the company's UConnect system, which
> provides Bluetooth connectivity for cellphones and MP3 player
> integration with the car stereo. Rival Ford provides similar services,
> but without Web access, in its popular Sync system.
>
> With the added Internet connectivity, drivers and passengers will be
> able to get such devices as laptop computers and Nintendo Wii consoles
> online. As to what users can download while in the car, Chrysler's Leung
> said anything was fair game.
>
> "There are no limitations in content," he said.

I think I need to buy a bloody tank, I'm allready almost killed at least
once every time I leave my house by some dumbshit in a hummer yapping on a
cellphone, now they're giving them even more distraction.

Agent Smith

"-=Biscuit=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Agent Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> delighted
> us to no end by taking a lime green crayon and scribbling in
> news:Xns9AC8594FC4653agentsmithtwoblockso@207.115. 17.102, on the
> hallowed day of Wed 25 Jun 2008 05:46:46a:
>

>> Chrysler will offer wireless Internet access in 2009 models
>>
>> latimes.com/business/la-fi-wificar25-2008jun25,0,1676276.story
>>
>> The struggling automaker's announcement comes shortly before
>> California enacts a law that requires hands-free cellphone use
>> while driving.
>>
>> By Ken Bensinger, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
>>
>> June 25, 2008
>>
>> Have you ever thought rush hour on the 405 Freeway might be
>> more bearable if you could check your e-mail, shop for a book
>> on Amazon, place some bids on EBay and maybe even, if nobody is
>> looking, download a little porn?
>>
>> Then perhaps you should be driving a Chrysler.
>>
>> The nation's third-largest automaker is set to announce
>> Thursday that it's making wireless Internet an option on all
>> its 2009 models. The mobile hotspot, called UConnect Web, would
>> be the first such technology from any automaker.

> This isn't new (though it's aftermarket equipment), and you can
> have it in any car.
>
> http://www.autonetmobile.com/

I'm moving my library into the car, to do some reading while I'm on the
road.