Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 upgrade from x86

x64 upgrade from x86

the_prophet

i've got xp pro x86, and i'd like to get x64. i don't, however, want to
re-purchase the whole thing (by next monday, no less).

i remember hearing about a way to acquire xp pro x64 for a nominal fee
rather than paying the full 150$ for the new software. is that still in
effect? was it ever in effect? how would i go about upgrading if i didn't
want to spend that much money?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Is that still in effect? No.
Was it ever? Yes, for a few months after the initial release of XP x64 - 3
years ago.

There is not "upgrade" to XP x64. It is a full, clean, install. You should
expect to format your system drive when going from 32-bit to 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"the_prophet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i've got xp pro x86, and i'd like to get x64. i don't, however, want to
> re-purchase the whole thing (by next monday, no less).
>
> i remember hearing about a way to acquire xp pro x64 for a nominal fee
> rather than paying the full 150$ for the new software. is that still in
> effect? was it ever in effect? how would i go about upgrading if i didn't
> want to spend that much money?

Colin Barnhorst

You have to migrate when you go from x86 to x64. XP Pro x64 does not even
have upgrade functionality. It is a complete fresh installation of Windows.
I'm not sure why you would prefer 64bit XP over 64bit Vista anyway. The
support for Vista x64 is much better now than for XP x64 and support for XP
x64 is not improving any more.

"the_prophet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> i've got xp pro x86, and i'd like to get x64. i don't, however, want to
> re-purchase the whole thing (by next monday, no less).
>
> i remember hearing about a way to acquire xp pro x64 for a nominal fee
> rather than paying the full 150$ for the new software. is that still in
> effect? was it ever in effect? how would i go about upgrading if i didn't
> want to spend that much money?

the_prophet

i'm fairly sure i wasn't being clear. i understand completely the difference
between 32-bit and 64-bit architecture - i run ubuntu 64-bit. i was asking
only if there was a cheap way to acquire another license as a 'sidegrade', if
you will, rather than just buying another whole thing.

as for vista vs xp, i'm a professional composer and songwriter, and all of
the applications i use are based in xp and work better there. i think
everyone on the planet knows that vista's audio stack is totally screwed up,
and i don't feel like attempting to bull my xp-based drivers for all my
equipment through vista. most of what i use doesn't have a vista variant,
anyways.

Charlie Russel - MVP

no, there's no cheap way to legally aquire a license. And if you're a
professional, as you say, then you, of all people, should understand about
IP and paying for the IP you use.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64