Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: how to force java core dump?

Re: how to force java core dump?

Gordon Beaton

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:27:13 -0400, Bernie Ohls wrote:
> The problem is that it refuses to dump core, instead printing a log
> message as above. The log is nice but if I had a core file I could
> go in and see what's happening. So - is there a way to tell a Unix
> (Linux) JVM to stop catching SIGSEGV and give me a good
> old-fashioned core dump?

If your setup allows it, you could try running the JVM within gdb. Gdb
will tell you when the signal is raised (before the handler runs) and
you can tell gdb to dump a core file. If you let the process continue
after that the handler will run as usual.

Or load a native library with a function to clear the JVM's signal
handler (i.e. signal(SIGSEGV, SIG_DFL)) and call it early in your
application.

/gordon