Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > learning c++

learning c++

Captain Cook

hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++ Programming language". it's
quite hard to follow. Are there any other good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?

thanks

Captain Cook

Captain Cook wrote:
> hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++
> Programming language". it's quite hard to follow. Are there any other
> good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?
>
> thanks

Anyone? If I haven't been clear about it, let me say that I need a book that gives me hints and
explains to me in detail at each gotchas, how a Java programmer might make mistakes w.r.t C++ and
also expounds on STL,Templates (pretty much everything from Bjarne's book). There used to be a
forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to find it at the moment. :[

thanks

dhlewis48

On Jun 25, 1:20 pm, Captain Cook <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Captain Cook wrote:
> > hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++
> > Programming language". it's quite hard to follow. Are there any other
> > good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?

> > thanks

> Anyone? If I haven't been clear about it, let me say that I need a book that gives me hints and
> explains to me in detail at each gotchas, how a Java programmer might make mistakes w.r.t C++ and
> also expounds on STL,Templates (pretty much everything from Bjarne's book). There used to be a
> forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to find it at the moment. :[
>
> thanks

Try Dietel's C++ How to Program. It is quite comprehensive
with a lot of examples, explanations, and UML.

Then there's C++ Gotchas by Stephen Dewhurst, an interesting
write on what C++ programmers (beginner, intermediate and
advanced) should look out for.

Both are listed on Amazon.

I don't recall any books for Java programmers on C++, though
I'm sure there should be.

nobody+cplusplus

dhlewis48 wrote:

> On Jun 25, 1:20 pm, Captain Cook <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Captain Cook wrote:
>> > hey folks i am having trouble going to sections of Bjarne's book "C++
>> > Programming language". it's quite hard to follow. Are there any other
>> > good books on C++ from Java programmers perspective?

>> > thanks

>> Anyone? If I haven't been clear about it, let me say that I need a book
>> that gives me hints and explains to me in detail at each gotchas, how a
>> Java programmer might make mistakes w.r.t C++ and also expounds on
>> STL,Templates (pretty much everything from Bjarne's book). There used to
>> be a forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to find it at the
>> moment. :[
>>
>> thanks

> Try Dietel's C++ How to Program. It is quite comprehensive
> with a lot of examples, explanations, and UML.
>
> Then there's C++ Gotchas by Stephen Dewhurst, an interesting
> write on what C++ programmers (beginner, intermediate and
> advanced) should look out for.

Wow, I knew of Dietel's Java book. Maybe I should give this a try.
C++ Gotchas might be available here in library.

> Both are listed on Amazon.
>
> I don't recall any books for Java programmers on C++, though
> I'm sure there should be.

A quick google tells me "C++ for Java Programmers" by Weiss. Is this any
good?

Sorry, I posted under different name than before. I felt it'd be a disgrace
to captain cook who travelled around the world.

--
thanks

Christian Hackl

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

--
Christian Hackl

nobody+cplusplus

Christian Hackl wrote:

> Captain Cook wrote:
>
>> There used to be a forum/faq tucked somewhere but i can't seem to
>> find it at the moment. :[

> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

great! thanks a lot. I've got to make it a habit to press Ctrl+D on
firefox This is definitely the faq i was after. thanks! thanks!

--
thanks

tragomaskhalos

On Jun 25, 7:09*am, nobody+cplusplus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A quick google tells me "C++ for Java Programmers" by Weiss. Is this any
> good?

http://accu.org/ is a good resource for book reviews.
Unfortunately the book you mention doesn't seem to be
in there. Caveat emptor wrt C++ books - the dross
outweighs the good stuff by a significant factor.
Search this group's archives for book recommendations,
"what books should I learn from?" questions come up quite
a lot (though I don't recall anyone asking from a Java
perspective recently).
Sorry this advice is a bit negative, but good luck !