Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Full-frame sensor digicams are always SLRs?

Full-frame sensor digicams are always SLRs?

ray

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:21:54 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

> In article <2vj8k.24578$kx.36@pd7urf3no>, NimPhrey says...
>> Perhaps there is a technical or economic reason. Any takers?
>>
>> Why must consumers be limited to SLRs when they want to purchase a
>> full-frame digital camera.

> I hope some manufacturer will launch a camera with interchangeable
> lenses and a large sensor. This camera should have a high resolution EVF
> and a big, swivelable high res LCD. Possibly also fast phase detect AF.

Or with an option for NO LCD - I never use the .... things.

Keith Baird

"NimPhrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why must consumers be limited to SLRs when they want to purchase a
> full-frame digital camera.

"Full frame" is meaningful principally to users accustomed to 35mm
format SLR systems, who want the same angle-of-view for a given lens in
digital usage that they were accustomed to having with film.
Point-and-shoot users, on the whole, aren't concerned about the relation
of focal length to field of view, which they determine by eyeball rather
by a millimeter marking.

nospam

In article <1214370697.623179@ftpsrv1>, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Why must consumers be limited to SLRs when they want to purchase a
> >> full-frame digital camera.

> > they're limited to slrs for aps sized sensors too (the dp1 being the
> > lone exception). even olympus with a 2x crop factor has yet to put the
> > sensor in a compact camera.

> You forgot the Leica M8.

yes i did, but it's absurdly expensive and not something most people
would have considered buying.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I hope some manufacturer will launch a camera with interchangeable
> > > lenses and a large sensor.

> > kodak did it about 15 years ago, nikon/canon about 10 years ago, and
> > others followed.

> Perhaps I should add: also a reasonable pixel count is needed (12MP or
> higher).

a number of current dslrs have 12 or more megapixels.

> > > Possibly also fast phase detect AF.

> > it's already there in current slrs.

> Not available in live view mode.

nikon and canon can use phase detect for autofocus in live view,
however, the speed advantage is lost since the mirror needs to drop.
nevertheless, it's still faster than contrast detection.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Keith Baird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "NimPhrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Why must consumers be limited to SLRs when they want to purchase a
> > full-frame digital camera.

> "Full frame" is meaningful principally to users accustomed to 35mm
> format SLR systems, who want the same angle-of-view for a given lens in
> digital usage that they were accustomed to having with film.
> Point-and-shoot users, on the whole, aren't concerned about the relation
> of focal length to field of view, which they determine by eyeball rather
> by a millimeter marking.

full frame cameras are meaningful to people who want better high iso
performance, lower noise and better overall image quality, versus a
camera with a smaller sensor.

Jürgen Exner

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Keith Baird <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "NimPhrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Why must consumers be limited to SLRs when they want to purchase a
>> > full-frame digital camera.

>> "Full frame" is meaningful principally to users accustomed to 35mm
>> format SLR systems, who want the same angle-of-view for a given lens in
>> digital usage that they were accustomed to having with film.
>> Point-and-shoot users, on the whole, aren't concerned about the relation
>> of focal length to field of view, which they determine by eyeball rather
>> by a millimeter marking.

>full frame cameras are meaningful to people who want better high iso
>performance, lower noise and better overall image quality, versus a
>camera with a smaller sensor.

That's true only if you compare cameras with similar pixel count. Of
course you have to shrink each pixel in order to fit as many pixels on a
smaller sensor than on a larger one.
However this has very little to do with full frame versus smaller frame
in general.

jue

Keith Baird

nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> full frame cameras are meaningful to people who want better high iso
> performance, lower noise and better overall image quality, versus a
> camera with a smaller sensor.

Such users simply want a "bigger" sensor, not necessarily a "full"
sensor. "Full" strictly means 24mm x 36mm. If someone wants an even
larger sensor area, or a different aspect ratio, then "full frame" is
not enough.

Andreas Karrer

* Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> In article <250620080151285566%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam says...

>> > Possibly also fast phase detect AF.

>> it's already there in current slrs.

> Not available in live view mode.

Not avaliable in Canon/Pentax/Olympus style live view mode; available in
Sony's A350/A300.

- Andi

Dev/Null

"NimPhrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Perhaps there is a technical or economic reason. Any takers?
>
> Why must consumers be limited to SLRs when they want to purchase a
> full-frame digital camera.

I can't really think of any "consumer level" full-frame dSLR. The Canon 5D
price is really above what many consider "consumer"

Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If the camera drops the mirror, it drops out of the live view mode.

that's true but it's only down long enough to focus, and then it goes
back up.