Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Passing data between pages

Passing data between pages

dbuchanan

newbie question
What are the various ways that data can be passed between pages.
For example; How is data about the logged in user passed to subsequent pages

Thank you,
Doug

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Hello Doug,

To pass values between pages, we can use a Session object, or a
Querystring, or a page's public property, or some "post" information, etc.
These method are documented and demonstrated in the MSDN article "How to:
Pass Values Between ASP.NET Web Pages"
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6c3yckfw.aspx and an article
"Passing Values between ASP.NET Web Forms"
http://www.dotnetbips.com/articles/c...946f4d311.aspx
. The articles have easy-to-follow examples for your references. For your
specific need of passing logged-in user name, I suggest that you start with
the "Session" variables. From my point of view, "Session" is the easiest
way to maintain the log-in information.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns, or need anything else.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.

dbuchanan

Jialiang,

Thank you for yor very informative reply.

Doug

I've detailed all the major techniques for passing data between pages here:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/PassData.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,