Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless networking and Win XP SP3

Wireless networking and Win XP SP3

JohnF@dteconsultancy.plus.com

Like fool I updated two of my computers on my home network to XP
SP3. The DEll Inspiron worked OK with onlythe need to tweak IE7. The
Compaq desktop, after updating suddenly decided that it would no
longer talk to the other Dell (Precision M65 XP Pro), however it would
talk to the Dell Inspiron. (by pinging eventually to test the
hardware). After trying two new PCI cards and a USB dongle to get
onto the network I still cannott transfer files from the M65 to the
Compaq and viceversa. The Compaq can't even ping itself but it can
ping the router/modem and the Dell Inspiron. The Dell M65 cannot ping
the Compaq but can ping the router and the the other Dell. Can
anyone shed any light on this problem or do I have to roll back to pre
SP3 days? Neither Dell nor Compaq nor Microsoft or Dlink or Belkin
can solve the problem. In the mean time the only way of transfering
big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
M65, not a very economic way of working.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Do you have 3 rd party security software running on Compaq? This search
result may help too.
XP SP3 Issues
We have received some reports that some security software may not work
after install XP SP3. You may want to check there is a new update for the
software ...
www.chicagotech.net/Windows/xpsp3.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like fool I updated two of my computers on my home network to XP
> SP3. The DEll Inspiron worked OK with onlythe need to tweak IE7. The
> Compaq desktop, after updating suddenly decided that it would no
> longer talk to the other Dell (Precision M65 XP Pro), however it would
> talk to the Dell Inspiron. (by pinging eventually to test the
> hardware). After trying two new PCI cards and a USB dongle to get
> onto the network I still cannott transfer files from the M65 to the
> Compaq and viceversa. The Compaq can't even ping itself but it can
> ping the router/modem and the Dell Inspiron. The Dell M65 cannot ping
> the Compaq but can ping the router and the the other Dell. Can
> anyone shed any light on this problem or do I have to roll back to pre
> SP3 days? Neither Dell nor Compaq nor Microsoft or Dlink or Belkin
> can solve the problem. In the mean time the only way of transfering
> big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
> M65, not a very economic way of working.

Lem

> Like fool I updated two of my computers on my home network to XP
> SP3. The DEll Inspiron worked OK with onlythe need to tweak IE7. The
> Compaq desktop, after updating suddenly decided that it would no
> longer talk to the other Dell (Precision M65 XP Pro), however it would
> talk to the Dell Inspiron. (by pinging eventually to test the
> hardware). After trying two new PCI cards and a USB dongle to get
> onto the network I still cannott transfer files from the M65 to the
> Compaq and viceversa. The Compaq can't even ping itself but it can
> ping the router/modem and the Dell Inspiron. The Dell M65 cannot ping
> the Compaq but can ping the router and the the other Dell. Can
> anyone shed any light on this problem or do I have to roll back to pre
> SP3 days? Neither Dell nor Compaq nor Microsoft or Dlink or Belkin
> can solve the problem. In the mean time the only way of transfering
> big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
> M65, not a very economic way of working.

You need to approach this more systematically instead of just swapping
hardware in and out.

Do you get any error messages?

If no, try MVP Hans-Georg Michna's networking troubleshooter:
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

And for what it's worth, my wireless network works fine after having
installed SP3.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

On 25 Jun, 00:55, Lem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Like *fool I updated two of my computers on my home network to XP
> > SP3. *The DEll Inspiron worked OK with onlythe need to tweak IE7. *The
> > Compaq desktop, after updating suddenly decided that it would no
> > longer talk to the other Dell (Precision M65 XP Pro), however it would
> > talk to the Dell Inspiron. (by pinging eventually to test the
> > hardware). * After trying two new PCI cards and a USB dongle to get
> > onto the network I still cannott transfer files from the M65 to the
> > Compaq and viceversa. *The Compaq can't even ping itself but it can
> > ping the router/modem and the Dell Inspiron. *The Dell M65 cannot ping
> > the Compaq but can ping the router and the the other Dell. * Can
> > anyone shed any light on this problem or do I have to roll back to pre
> > SP3 days? *Neither Dell nor Compaq nor Microsoft or Dlink or Belkin
> > can solve the problem. * In the mean time the only way of transfering
> > big files is to create a DVD on the compaq and take this across to the
> > M65, not a very economic way of working.

> You need to approach this more systematically instead of just swapping
> hardware in and out.
>
> Do you get any error messages?
>
> If no, try MVP Hans-Georg Michna's networking troubleshooter:http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> And for what it's worth, my wireless network works fine after having
> installed SP3.
>
> --
> Lem -- MS-MVP
>
> To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_...compessay.htm- Hide quoted text -

Hi all

Well it has been about a month of almost non-stop troubleshooting and
we are still in a quandary. The Dell M65 now talks to all computers
on the network (MSHOME), however the Compaq desktop will only talk to
the Dell M65. The Dell Inspiron will only talk to the M65. All the
computer appear on My Network Places>View network Computers on each m/
c. When the Compaq tries to access the Inspiron I get asked for a
password. Why? I didn't set one up and since it keeps telling me to
see the administrator, (That's me by the way) I cannot help me cos I
don't know how. I have given me a good talking to but it didn't help.
When I try to access the Compaq from the Inspiron I get the usual" \
\Dteoffice is not accessible see your administrator as you may not
have permission." I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR AND I HAVE GIVEN
PERMISSION. All sharing is OK. So I have this silly situation then
means that if I want to send a file from the Inspiron to the Compaq;
something I have to do regularly, which is why I had a network; I have
to first send it to the M65 and from there to the destination. Can
anyone help, I have reset the TCP/IP stack, configured all the
firewalls properly, run the Network Setup Wizard again, 'ping'ed till
my eyes bleed, re-installed drivers, read upteen Windows Knowledge
base articles, contacted Windows Support (??) and shouted a lot. All
computers can see and connect to the Internet so the wireless cards
work OK and they can all print to the two network printers. What else
can I try before the whole lot goes out the window and in comes the
Apple Macs!!!