Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Opteron 2.2 Ghz performance.

Dual Opteron 2.2 Ghz performance.

John John (MVP)

I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. The machine
comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
handling up to 16GB. The machine is in good working condition and I'm
thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. I'm thinking I may get
the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here
familiar with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?

John

Charlie Russel - MVP

Take it. Even if they're older Opterons, you'll have a very nice machine
indeed.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"John John (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. The machine
> comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
> handling up to 16GB. The machine is in good working condition and I'm
> thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. I'm thinking I may get the
> box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here familiar
> with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
>
> John

John John (MVP)

That's all the convincing I need. Thanks, Charlie.

John

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> Take it. Even if they're older Opterons, you'll have a very nice machine
> indeed.

Colin Barnhorst

And if you don't like it I know how to do UPS labels on the computer I do
have.

"John John (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's all the convincing I need. Thanks, Charlie.
>
> John
>
> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> Take it. Even if they're older Opterons, you'll have a very nice machine
>> indeed.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Wait in line, Colin. I'll take first dibs.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And if you don't like it I know how to do UPS labels on the computer I do
> have.
>
> "John John (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That's all the convincing I need. Thanks, Charlie.
>>
>> John
>>
>> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>>> Take it. Even if they're older Opterons, you'll have a very nice machine
>>> indeed.

Jim

On Jun 24, 7:58*am, "John John (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. *The machine
> comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
> handling up to 16GB. *The machine is in good working condition and I'm
> thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. *I'm thinking I may get
> the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. *Anyone here
> familiar with dual Opeterons? *Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
>
> John

I think you'll have a *blast!* I paid more than $6,000.00 for mine,
and I have slower Opterons. I ran x64 for three years and now I have
switched to Vista 64-bit. These are extremely versitile machines.
(I'm sorry to hear mine has depreciated so much!

Jim

John John (MVP)

Jim wrote:

> On Jun 24, 7:58 am, "John John (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. The machine
>>comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
>>handling up to 16GB. The machine is in good working condition and I'm
>>thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. I'm thinking I may get
>>the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here
>>familiar with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
>>
>>John

> I think you'll have a *blast!* I paid more than $6,000.00 for mine,
> and I have slower Opterons. I ran x64 for three years and now I have
> switched to Vista 64-bit. These are extremely versitile machines.
> (I'm sorry to hear mine has depreciated so much!

I guess Colin shouldn't bother making a UPS label, I don't think that I
will be needing one Yes, it's almost unbelievable how quickly
computers lose their value, sometime ago I came to the conclusion that
for a lot of folks paying $200-$300 for a used but powerful workstation
may be as good a choice as buying a new computer.

John

Bender

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jun 24, 7:58 am, "John John (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm being offered a Dual Opteron 2.2Ghz box at about $300. The machine
>> comes with a SCSI controller/drive and with 3 GB RAM, but is capable of
>> handling up to 16GB. The machine is in good working condition and I'm
>> thinking that at $300 it's almost a giveaway. I'm thinking I may get
>> the box as a "toy" and install an x64 version on it. Anyone here
>> familiar with dual Opeterons? Are those dual 2.2 Ghz worth a try?
>>
>> John

> I think you'll have a *blast!* I paid more than $6,000.00 for mine,
> and I have slower Opterons. I ran x64 for three years and now I have
> switched to Vista 64-bit. These are extremely versitile machines.
> (I'm sorry to hear mine has depreciated so much!
>
> Jim

When adjusted for inflation, I paid close to $6,000 for my 50 MHz 486
computer.