Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Warranty after replacement ?

Re: Warranty after replacement ?

Steven M. Haflich

- Bobb - wrote:
> Anyone have experience with this ?

I have done considerable business with HP directly, and have twice had a
failed, unrepairable laptop replaced by them. In both cases the 1-year
manufacturer warranty was reset to the date the new machine was placed
in service.

I have not discussed this with HP or anyone else, but it seems to me
that time-limited warranties (whether 30 days, 90 days, or 1 year) are
intended as protection against infant failures, where a manufacturing
weakness in some component causes a failure in the early product
lifetime. Most failures occur either very early in the lifetime of a
clump of hardware, or else very late in its expected lifetime.
Extending the warranty of a replacement item to cover the possibility of
new infant failures in an early-in-the-lifetime replacement is a
reasonable and honorable thing for a manufacturer to do.

I wouldn't let Best Buy get away with it. I expect HP would have been
more honorable.

Ben Myers

Honor and ethics are obsolete concepts in American business and government these
days... Ben Myers