Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Intel, another nail in Vista's coffin....

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Intel, another nail in Vista's coffin....

 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2008
"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bobs wrote:
>> Brian Mathews wrote:
>>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:45:38 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> thingy wrote:
>>>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...el-dumps-vista
>>>>>
>>>>> ho ho....
>>>>>
>>>>> regards
>>>>>
>>>>> Thing
>>>> Really, that is the most biased one sided article I've read in a long
>>>> time. Are these guys a serious news site?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Very much so.
>>>
>>>> I especially like this bit....
>>>>
>>>> "If there was ever a company that is loyal to Intel, it is Apple"

>
> Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons Intel
> could make...
>
>>>> Apart from the decades they used other cpus that is.
>>>
>>>
>>> It sound like you are using VISTA Crap, many many Big Corporate firms
>>> in the US will not touch it
>>> with a barge poll.

>>
>> Thanks for that telling argument there, Brian. "VISTA Crap"....well you
>> convinced me.

>
> Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching Vista...in
> the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have much choice but the
> bigger ones are saying it makes no business sense...
>


So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case, there is
zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone to abandon
Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2008
Somewhere on teh intarweb "thing" typed:
> impossible wrote:
>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Bobs wrote:
>>>> Brian Mathews wrote:
>>>>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:45:38 +1200, Bobs
>>>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> thingy wrote:
>>>>>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...el-dumps-vista
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> ho ho....
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> regards
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thing
>>>>>> Really, that is the most biased one sided article I've read in a
>>>>>> long time. Are these guys a serious news site?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Very much so.
>>>>>
>>>>>> I especially like this bit....
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "If there was ever a company that is loyal to Intel, it is
>>>>>> Apple"
>>> Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons
>>> Intel could make...
>>>
>>>>>> Apart from the decades they used other cpus that is.
>>>>>
>>>>> It sound like you are using VISTA Crap, many many Big Corporate
>>>>> firms in the US will not touch it
>>>>> with a barge poll.
>>>> Thanks for that telling argument there, Brian. "VISTA
>>>> Crap"....well you convinced me.
>>> Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching
>>> Vista...in the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have
>>> much choice but the bigger ones are saying it makes no business
>>> sense...

>>
>> So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case,
>> there is zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone
>> to abandon Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.
>>

>
> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
> shifting to Vista.


LOL, don't expect straight discussion from "impossible". Everything is
twisted there, that's a prime example above of reading whilst biased. (I'm
being kind, "confused" is probably a more accurate term than "biased".)
--
Shaun.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2008
"thing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Bobs wrote:
>>>> Brian Mathews wrote:
>>>>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:45:38 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> thingy wrote:
>>>>>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...el-dumps-vista
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> ho ho....
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> regards
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thing
>>>>>> Really, that is the most biased one sided article I've read in a long
>>>>>> time. Are these guys a serious news site?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Very much so.
>>>>>
>>>>>> I especially like this bit....
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "If there was ever a company that is loyal to Intel, it is Apple"
>>> Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons Intel
>>> could make...
>>>
>>>>>> Apart from the decades they used other cpus that is.
>>>>>
>>>>> It sound like you are using VISTA Crap, many many Big Corporate firms
>>>>> in the US will not touch it
>>>>> with a barge poll.
>>>> Thanks for that telling argument there, Brian. "VISTA Crap"....well you
>>>> convinced me.
>>> Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching
>>> Vista...in the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have much
>>> choice but the bigger ones are saying it makes no business sense...
>>>

>>
>> So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case, there is
>> zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone to abandon
>> Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.

>
> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not shifting
> to Vista.
>


So why did you circulate that Inquirer flame-bait then? You certainly know
that this rag grasps for any gossip to make its ideological case that
Microsoft and Windows are doomed. If you disagree, yoiu should make that
clear.


 
Reply With Quote
 
impossible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2008
"thing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48614821$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "thing" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> impossible wrote:
>>>> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Bobs wrote:
>>>>>> Brian Mathews wrote:
>>>>>>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:45:38 +1200, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> thingy wrote:
>>>>>>>>> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...el-dumps-vista
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> ho ho....
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> regards
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Thing
>>>>>>>> Really, that is the most biased one sided article I've read in a
>>>>>>>> long time. Are these guys a serious news site?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Very much so.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> I especially like this bit....
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> "If there was ever a company that is loyal to Intel, it is Apple"
>>>>> Apple certainly at one stage was buying all the high end new Xeons
>>>>> Intel could make...
>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Apart from the decades they used other cpus that is.
>>>>>>> It sound like you are using VISTA Crap, many many Big Corporate
>>>>>>> firms in the US will not touch it
>>>>>>> with a barge poll.
>>>>>> Thanks for that telling argument there, Brian. "VISTA Crap"....well
>>>>>> you convinced me.
>>>>> Talking to Enterprise class vendors lots say no one is touching
>>>>> Vista...in the Enterprise space. Ma and Pa business may not have much
>>>>> choice but the bigger ones are saying it makes no business sense...
>>>>>
>>>> So they stay with XP -- that makes a lot of sense. In any case, there
>>>> is zero evidence that discontent with Vista is leading anyone to
>>>> abandon Windows. Your gossip-mongering is pointless.
>>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
>>> shifting to Vista.
>>>

>>
>> So why did you circulate that Inquirer flame-bait then? You certainly
>> know that this rag grasps for any gossip to make its ideological case
>> that Microsoft and Windows are doomed. If you disagree, yoiu should make
>> that clear.

>
> I did, in the heading....I didnt say XP users migrating to MAC/Linux....I
> said Intel yet another major corp. not going to Vista..
>
> Considering the love fest that is Wintel, that is a point worth pointing
> out.
>
>


It's still a love fest. Without Windows, Intel is just another chip
manufacturer -- and AMD probably doesn't even exist. Whether Intel decides
to upgrade its own desktops to Vista now or "Windows 7" later is an
irrelevant bit of specualtion that is the stock-in-trade of rags like the
Inquirer. Think about it: Did you actually read "the memo" they claim is the
source of their information? Of course you didn't, because they didn't
publish it -- not even a single solitary quote. Circulating their stuff is
as bad as circulating spam -- maybe just a little less informative.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2008
In article <4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing did write:

> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
> shifting to Vista.


They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap between
Dimdows sales and PC sales?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Will Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-25-2008
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing did write:
>
>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
>> shifting to Vista.

>
> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap between
> Dimdows sales and PC sales?


Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
news groups. Stay tuned!

-ws
 
Reply With Quote
 
biggles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-27-2008
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing did write:
>>
>>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
>>> shifting to Vista.

>>
>> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap
>> between Dimdows sales and PC sales?

>
> Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
> projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
> news groups. Stay tuned!
>
> -ws


try suse 11


Man what a ****ing cock up ..

reiser file corruption.

beagle file system corruption.

usual nvidia driver installation mess.

KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least

vmware server runs like crap on this.

gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .

pulse audio = another half baked mess.

fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
later

I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
slow package manager

If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out

biggles
 
Reply With Quote
 
Will Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2008
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:50:58 +0200 (CEST), biggles wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>> In article <4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing did write:
>>>
>>>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
>>>> shifting to Vista.
>>>
>>> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap
>>> between Dimdows sales and PC sales?

>>
>> Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
>> projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
>> news groups. Stay tuned!
>>
>> -ws

>
> try suse 11
>
>
> Man what a ****ing cock up ..
>
> reiser file corruption.
>
> beagle file system corruption.
>
> usual nvidia driver installation mess.
>
> KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least
>
> vmware server runs like crap on this.
>
> gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .
>
> pulse audio = another half baked mess.
>
> fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
> later
>
> I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
> slow package manager
>
> If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out
>
> biggles


I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.

-ws
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2008
Will Spencer wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:50:58 +0200 (CEST), biggles wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>
>>>> In article <4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing did write:
>>>>
>>>>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
>>>>> shifting to Vista.
>>>> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap
>>>> between Dimdows sales and PC sales?
>>> Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
>>> projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
>>> news groups. Stay tuned!
>>>
>>> -ws

>> try suse 11
>>
>>
>> Man what a ****ing cock up ..
>>
>> reiser file corruption.
>>
>> beagle file system corruption.
>>
>> usual nvidia driver installation mess.
>>
>> KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least
>>
>> vmware server runs like crap on this.
>>
>> gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .
>>
>> pulse audio = another half baked mess.
>>
>> fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
>> later
>>
>> I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
>> slow package manager
>>
>> If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out
>>
>> biggles

>
> I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
> laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
> problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
> didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.
>

I wouldn't. Of all the distros I have tried it was the slowest by far.
Almost as slow as Slowlaris (though to be fair I ran Solaris on an
underspecced machine). RH and Debian run at similar speeds. Ubuntu is
OK, but not snappy. The others I did not have long enough to make speed
comparisons or were cut down versions.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing' or
'hilarious', it usually isn't?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Will Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-28-2008
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:15:20 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

> Will Spencer wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:50:58 +0200 (CEST), biggles wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:11:55 +1200, Will Spencer wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:50:14 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> In article <4860a258$(E-Mail Removed)>, thing did write:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I didnt say they were abandoning windows....I said they were not
>>>>>> shifting to Vista.
>>>>> They must be abandoning Windows. How else to explain the growing gap
>>>>> between Dimdows sales and PC sales?
>>>> Baaah! I'm embarassed to admit I'm having to use Linux for one of my
>>>> projects. I can't wait to start complaining about Linux problems in the
>>>> news groups. Stay tuned!
>>>>
>>>> -ws
>>> try suse 11
>>>
>>>
>>> Man what a ****ing cock up ..
>>>
>>> reiser file corruption.
>>>
>>> beagle file system corruption.
>>>
>>> usual nvidia driver installation mess.
>>>
>>> KDE4 = shouldnt have seen daylight for another 18 mnths at least
>>>
>>> vmware server runs like crap on this.
>>>
>>> gnome version runs like well crap on my quad core system .
>>>
>>> pulse audio = another half baked mess.
>>>
>>> fonts = still the same crappy dot matrix fonts .. i have to fix that
>>> later
>>>
>>> I nearly went back to 10.3 but couldnt stand the thought of that fecking
>>> slow package manager
>>>
>>> If you thought vista was bad .... wait till ya try this out
>>>
>>> biggles

>>
>> I used to use KDE 2 in preference to Gnome a few years ago. But I have to
>> laugh at your list of issues. Brings back bad memories. But I also had
>> problems with kernels where networking features I compiled into the kernel
>> didn't work properly and what not. Pfft! Anyway, I'll look into Suse.
>>

> I wouldn't. Of all the distros I have tried it was the slowest by far.
> Almost as slow as Slowlaris (though to be fair I ran Solaris on an
> underspecced machine). RH and Debian run at similar speeds. Ubuntu is
> OK, but not snappy. The others I did not have long enough to make speed
> comparisons or were cut down versions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff


Ok thanks.

I'm allso looking at MySQL as an alternative to SQL Express for some of my
anti MS customers. But I notice it has a GUI management system now and a
beta Visual Studio 2008 data connector. Neato!

Anyone here use mySQL on Linux or Windows, what do you think of it?

-ws


-ws
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another nail hangs over HD-DVD's coffin Winfield DVD Video 53 02-12-2008 02:26 AM
compuer nail printer nail art painting Nail Art Printer Computer Salon Digital Paint MUST HAVE arcade Computer Information 1 11-30-2006 04:11 PM
compuer nail printer nail art painting Nail Art Printer Computer Salon Digital Paint MUST HAVE arcade Computer Information 0 11-30-2006 02:40 PM
compuer nail printer nail art painting arcade Computer Information 0 11-29-2006 02:58 PM
Another nail in film coffin Paul Heslop Digital Photography 9 08-11-2005 07:59 PM



Advertisments