Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > IIS response is slow

IIS response is slow

llevi

Hi there.

I have a simple web page ( 1 textbox, 1 label, 1 button). The page runs
under IIS, but it takes at least a minute before it allows me to enter
keystrokes after pressing ctl+f5.
environment: vista home premium, visual studio .net 2005.

Any ideas as to why this is so slow? how may i resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

llevi

Jeff Winn

Try loading the page directly from your browser by connecting to the website
when it's running. If it's fast there it's an issue with VS either building
the site, or attaching the debugger.

If you're working with a "Web Site" type of project and not a "Web
Application" you can go to the project properties for the build
configuration and tell the IDE to not build the website when you run it. The
assemblies used for the pages will build themselves when they're needed, so
you don't need to worry about it. If you're using a Web Application you'll
just have to wait while the project is being built.

"llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there.
>
> I have a simple web page ( 1 textbox, 1 label, 1 button). The page runs
> under IIS, but it takes at least a minute before it allows me to enter
> keystrokes after pressing ctl+f5.
> environment: vista home premium, visual studio .net 2005.
>
> Any ideas as to why this is so slow? how may i resolve this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> llevi

llevi

Thanks for your reply.

I did try running the page directly from the browser (outside of the IDE)
and that response is normal, fast. However, any attempt to run from within
the IDE (with or without the changes that you suggested) result in a response
of at least 1 or more mins.

"Jeff Winn" wrote:

> Try loading the page directly from your browser by connecting to the website
> when it's running. If it's fast there it's an issue with VS either building
> the site, or attaching the debugger.
>
> If you're working with a "Web Site" type of project and not a "Web
> Application" you can go to the project properties for the build
> configuration and tell the IDE to not build the website when you run it. The
> assemblies used for the pages will build themselves when they're needed, so
> you don't need to worry about it. If you're using a Web Application you'll
> just have to wait while the project is being built.
>
> "llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi there.
> >
> > I have a simple web page ( 1 textbox, 1 label, 1 button). The page runs
> > under IIS, but it takes at least a minute before it allows me to enter
> > keystrokes after pressing ctl+f5.
> > environment: vista home premium, visual studio .net 2005.
> >
> > Any ideas as to why this is so slow? how may i resolve this issue?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > llevi

Jeff Winn

Check the output window when you're trying to run the site. Keep an eye on
the IDEs progress as it builds your project. As long as it's not hanging
while building the startup time seems normal to me. If the IDE has finished
building and IE sits open for an extensive amount of time it might be
something with the debugger trying to attach itself to IIS.

In all honesty everything seems perfectly normal to me. It could be your
computer is just slow. )

"llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I did try running the page directly from the browser (outside of the IDE)
> and that response is normal, fast. However, any attempt to run from within
> the IDE (with or without the changes that you suggested) result in a
> response
> of at least 1 or more mins.
>
> "Jeff Winn" wrote:
>
>> Try loading the page directly from your browser by connecting to the
>> website
>> when it's running. If it's fast there it's an issue with VS either
>> building
>> the site, or attaching the debugger.
>>
>> If you're working with a "Web Site" type of project and not a "Web
>> Application" you can go to the project properties for the build
>> configuration and tell the IDE to not build the website when you run it.
>> The
>> assemblies used for the pages will build themselves when they're needed,
>> so
>> you don't need to worry about it. If you're using a Web Application
>> you'll
>> just have to wait while the project is being built.
>>
>> "llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi there.
>> >
>> > I have a simple web page ( 1 textbox, 1 label, 1 button). The page runs
>> > under IIS, but it takes at least a minute before it allows me to enter
>> > keystrokes after pressing ctl+f5.
>> > environment: vista home premium, visual studio .net 2005.
>> >
>> > Any ideas as to why this is so slow? how may i resolve this issue?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > llevi

Eliyahu Goldin

Delete your solution .suo file and see if it helps.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

"llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I did try running the page directly from the browser (outside of the IDE)
> and that response is normal, fast. However, any attempt to run from within
> the IDE (with or without the changes that you suggested) result in a
> response
> of at least 1 or more mins.
>
> "Jeff Winn" wrote:
>
>> Try loading the page directly from your browser by connecting to the
>> website
>> when it's running. If it's fast there it's an issue with VS either
>> building
>> the site, or attaching the debugger.
>>
>> If you're working with a "Web Site" type of project and not a "Web
>> Application" you can go to the project properties for the build
>> configuration and tell the IDE to not build the website when you run it.
>> The
>> assemblies used for the pages will build themselves when they're needed,
>> so
>> you don't need to worry about it. If you're using a Web Application
>> you'll
>> just have to wait while the project is being built.
>>
>> "llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi there.
>> >
>> > I have a simple web page ( 1 textbox, 1 label, 1 button). The page runs
>> > under IIS, but it takes at least a minute before it allows me to enter
>> > keystrokes after pressing ctl+f5.
>> > environment: vista home premium, visual studio .net 2005.
>> >
>> > Any ideas as to why this is so slow? how may i resolve this issue?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance,
>> >
>> > llevi

BWC

I've seen a similar situation happen when Javascript debugging is enabled.

If you run through Visual Studio without Debugging (Ctrl+F5) and the problem
goes away, this could be the case.

In Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Browsing select
both the "Disable script debugging" options (internet explorer) and (other)

"llevi" wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I did try running the page directly from the browser (outside of the IDE)
> and that response is normal, fast. However, any attempt to run from within
> the IDE (with or without the changes that you suggested) result in a response
> of at least 1 or more mins.
>
> "Jeff Winn" wrote:
>
> > Try loading the page directly from your browser by connecting to the website
> > when it's running. If it's fast there it's an issue with VS either building
> > the site, or attaching the debugger.
> >
> > If you're working with a "Web Site" type of project and not a "Web
> > Application" you can go to the project properties for the build
> > configuration and tell the IDE to not build the website when you run it. The
> > assemblies used for the pages will build themselves when they're needed, so
> > you don't need to worry about it. If you're using a Web Application you'll
> > just have to wait while the project is being built.
> >
> > "llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi there.
> > >
> > > I have a simple web page ( 1 textbox, 1 label, 1 button). The page runs
> > > under IIS, but it takes at least a minute before it allows me to enter
> > > keystrokes after pressing ctl+f5.
> > > environment: vista home premium, visual studio .net 2005.
> > >
> > > Any ideas as to why this is so slow? how may i resolve this issue?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > llevi

llevi

I tried this - same result

"Eliyahu Goldin" wrote:

> Delete your solution .suo file and see if it helps.
>
> --
> Eliyahu Goldin,
> Software Developer
> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/egoldin
> http://usableasp.net
>

> "llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for your reply.
> >
> > I did try running the page directly from the browser (outside of the IDE)
> > and that response is normal, fast. However, any attempt to run from within
> > the IDE (with or without the changes that you suggested) result in a
> > response
> > of at least 1 or more mins.
> >
> > "Jeff Winn" wrote:
> >
> >> Try loading the page directly from your browser by connecting to the
> >> website
> >> when it's running. If it's fast there it's an issue with VS either
> >> building
> >> the site, or attaching the debugger.
> >>
> >> If you're working with a "Web Site" type of project and not a "Web
> >> Application" you can go to the project properties for the build
> >> configuration and tell the IDE to not build the website when you run it.
> >> The
> >> assemblies used for the pages will build themselves when they're needed,
> >> so
> >> you don't need to worry about it. If you're using a Web Application
> >> you'll
> >> just have to wait while the project is being built.
> >>
> >> "llevi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

llevi

javascript debugging has been disabled and I had been using ctl+f5 to render
the page. Very strange, but this is painfully slow.