Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Software > Cannot uninstall printer

Cannot uninstall printer

Bugsb Bugsb is offline
Junior Member
Location: Bakersfield, California

I had a HP OfficeJet K80xi printer installed on my XP and when I upgraded to Vista then wanted to replace the printer I was unable to completely install my new HP OfficeJet J6450 because the K80xi won't completely uninstall. I contacted HP tech support and they worked with me for 3 1/2 the first night then a level 2 tech for 3 hours the second night. They then referred me to their engineering department who said this was a know fault with them. They claim Microsoft has locked them out of the area that would have allowed them to remove the driver in question. They say the only option I have is to re format my hard drive then reinstall XP and then Vista again. This they claim is the only way to delete the old driver.
Does anyone have any other suggestions because that is an awful lot of work and the possibility of losing valued info is great.