Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Convert 8mm video to DVD

Convert 8mm video to DVD

Jeff

What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Jrgen Exner

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
>card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

I think taking screen shots using the video mode in a P&S is a rather
poor way, but probably the best you can do using digital photo
equipment.

You may want to ask in a NG that actually deals with video, thou. People
there are probably more familiar with video equipment.

jue

Paul Heslop

Jeff wrote:

> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
> card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

It could depend on a number of things, including how fast your
processor is and your usb speed. Also resolutions, check what is on
offer for what kind of recording quality you're after. I haven't used
a dvd device but have used 2 tv cards, the cheapest had smaller
resolutions yet seemed to give cleaner pictures, the more expensive
didn't have as many connections and seemed a grainier picture.

Now I use a dvd recorder with hard drive for these things, record to
hard drive in best quality for length and do any snipping there before
transferring to disc.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look

Jeff

They are some old videos I would like to preserve on DVD's. I will try a
video card with TV in see the resolution. Thanks
"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff wrote:
>>
>> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV
>> video
>> card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

> It could depend on a number of things, including how fast your
> processor is and your usb speed. Also resolutions, check what is on
> offer for what kind of recording quality you're after. I haven't used
> a dvd device but have used 2 tv cards, the cheapest had smaller
> resolutions yet seemed to give cleaner pictures, the more expensive
> didn't have as many connections and seemed a grainier picture.
>
> Now I use a dvd recorder with hard drive for these things, record to
> hard drive in best quality for length and do any snipping there before
> transferring to disc.
>
> --
> Paul (We won't die of devotion)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
> card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

Have you got a playback device (an 8 mm camera) for the tapes. The best
approach (IMHO) is to use a digital camera as an ADC (Analog to Digital
Converter). The process is explained in the digital camera's manual. That
way, I could make a dvd from a VHS tape. The analogue signal goes to the
digital camera, then streamed through firewire to your computer. Everything
else is like burning any DVD with footage of your digital camera (I presume
you have one).

HTH,

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Jeff

Are you talking about a digital camcorder or camera? I have a digital
camera but are not sure what you mean.

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g3omna$jsm$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV
>> video card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks
>>

> Have you got a playback device (an 8 mm camera) for the tapes. The best
> approach (IMHO) is to use a digital camera as an ADC (Analog to Digital
> Converter). The process is explained in the digital camera's manual. That
> way, I could make a dvd from a VHS tape. The analogue signal goes to the
> digital camera, then streamed through firewire to your computer.
> Everything else is like burning any DVD with footage of your digital
> camera (I presume you have one).
>
> HTH,
>

> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

ransley

On Jun 23, 10:49*am, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. *Should I use a TV video
> card or USB device and recommendations. *Thanks

Easiest and maybe best is playback on the 8mm camera output to dvd
recorder

Jeff

The recorder is a burner on my computer. I don't have a video card with TV
in. I would have to get a card or looking for another way.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jeff wrote:

> The recorder is a burner on my computer. I don't have a video card with TV
> in. I would have to get a card or looking for another way.
>
> "ransley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Jun 23, 10:49 am, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. Should I use a TV video
> > card or USB device and recommendations. Thanks

> Easiest and maybe best is playback on the 8mm camera output to dvd
> recorder

a hard disc dvd recorder usually does help, specially if you need to
edit.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

ransley

On Jun 23, 10:49*am, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the best way to convert 8mm video to DVD. *Should I use a TV video
> card or USB device and recommendations. *Thanks

If its only a a few 8mm many camera stores offer the service, it would
be cheaper then buying equipment for 1 job, Real cheap dvd recorders
can do a poor job, I returned one it was so bad and paid up. Even with
a card you need a program to capture it, and get it to dvd. I dought
its expensive to pay to have it done and it will be done right.