Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Lost Vista games

Lost Vista games

Sam Steinhauser

I have wrecked Vista Ultimate x64 to the point of my games and Windows
features not working. I have a Intel 965 chipset with ICH8R and run 3 Raptors
in a RAID 5 config. I have a 4th. drive, 80gb Barracuda, for Linux and
storage. I got a wild hair to try Slackware. After what I felt was a
productive couple of hours learning about Linix fdisk and getting a root and
swap partition set up I managed to write over my second drive of the RAID
config. I run the Windows Vista disk repair utlitly a couple of times to no
avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding the
array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive back
in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel Matrix
Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say wcp.dll
isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk and
replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.

Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Sam

Carlos

Sam,
What you want to do is an "Upgrade Install" from within Vista.
This is equivalent to the old repair install during boot in Xp.
You will need a Vista DVD with the same version (or higher) that you have
currently installed, i.e., if you have Vista SP1 on your hard disk and your
Vista DVD is pre-SP1 you can't follow this procedure.
If you have Vista SP1 installed and your Vista DVD is SP1 then you are good
to go.
Just put the DVD in your DVD drive, let it auto-run and choose the "upgrade"
option.
That should reset things back to normal without losing your installed apps.
Carlos

"Sam Steinhauser" wrote:

> I have wrecked Vista Ultimate x64 to the point of my games and Windows
> features not working. I have a Intel 965 chipset with ICH8R and run 3 Raptors
> in a RAID 5 config. I have a 4th. drive, 80gb Barracuda, for Linux and
> storage. I got a wild hair to try Slackware. After what I felt was a
> productive couple of hours learning about Linix fdisk and getting a root and
> swap partition set up I managed to write over my second drive of the RAID
> config. I run the Windows Vista disk repair utlitly a couple of times to no
> avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding the
> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive back
> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel Matrix
> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say wcp.dll
> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk and
> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
>
> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
> --
> Sam

Charlie Russel - MVP

Carlos - with the new Upgrade Install, does the DVD also need to be of the
same "type" as your existing? So if you have OEM Vista, it would have to be
an OEM disk? I can see this being a problem for users running OEM who have
upgraded to SP1. Getting a disk out of your OEM that allows an upgrade
install might be an issue. (yet another reason I'm not a big fan of OEM.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sam,
> What you want to do is an "Upgrade Install" from within Vista.
> This is equivalent to the old repair install during boot in Xp.
> You will need a Vista DVD with the same version (or higher) that you have
> currently installed, i.e., if you have Vista SP1 on your hard disk and
> your
> Vista DVD is pre-SP1 you can't follow this procedure.
> If you have Vista SP1 installed and your Vista DVD is SP1 then you are
> good
> to go.
> Just put the DVD in your DVD drive, let it auto-run and choose the
> "upgrade"
> option.
> That should reset things back to normal without losing your installed
> apps.
> Carlos
>
> "Sam Steinhauser" wrote:
>
>> I have wrecked Vista Ultimate x64 to the point of my games and Windows
>> features not working. I have a Intel 965 chipset with ICH8R and run 3
>> Raptors
>> in a RAID 5 config. I have a 4th. drive, 80gb Barracuda, for Linux and
>> storage. I got a wild hair to try Slackware. After what I felt was a
>> productive couple of hours learning about Linix fdisk and getting a root
>> and
>> swap partition set up I managed to write over my second drive of the RAID
>> config. I run the Windows Vista disk repair utlitly a couple of times to
>> no
>> avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
>> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding
>> the
>> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive
>> back
>> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel
>> Matrix
>> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
>> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
>> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say
>> wcp.dll
>> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk
>> and
>> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
>>
>> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
>> --
>> Sam

Carlos

Charlie,
I concur with you that getting an SP1 OEM disc might be an issue.
Don't know whether the upgrade needs the same "type" or not, maybe Darrell
or some other regular might shed some light.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >> avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
> >> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding
> >> the
> >> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive
> >> back
> >> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel
> >> Matrix
> >> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
> >> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
> >> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say
> >> wcp.dll
> >> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk
> >> and
> >> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
> >>
> >> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.

Colin Barnhorst

As long as it not a recovery type dvd, an OEM provided dvd should be fine.
A retail dvd probably would not be since IIRC the pk is needed. I don't
have a system builder dvd that I can try in a vm or I would check that out.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding
>>> the
>>> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive
>>> back
>>> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel
>>> Matrix
>>> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the
>>> system
>>> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still
>>> runs
>>> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say
>>> wcp.dll
>>> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk
>>> and
>>> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
>>>
>>> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, I don't either. I strongly suspect the issue will be actually
_getting_ the right DVD from the OEM. That has been the problem in the past.
And I strongly suspect retail DVDs won't work on OEM boxes.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> As long as it not a recovery type dvd, an OEM provided dvd should be fine.
> A retail dvd probably would not be since IIRC the pk is needed. I don't
> have a system builder dvd that I can try in a vm or I would check that
> out.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Carlos - with the new Upgrade Install, does the DVD also need to be of
>> the same "type" as your existing? So if you have OEM Vista, it would have
>> to be an OEM disk? I can see this being a problem for users running OEM
>> who have upgraded to SP1. Getting a disk out of your OEM that allows an
>> upgrade install might be an issue. (yet another reason I'm not a big fan
>> of OEM.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sam,
>>> What you want to do is an "Upgrade Install" from within Vista.
>>> This is equivalent to the old repair install during boot in Xp.
>>> You will need a Vista DVD with the same version (or higher) that you
>>> have
>>> currently installed, i.e., if you have Vista SP1 on your hard disk and
>>> your
>>> Vista DVD is pre-SP1 you can't follow this procedure.
>>> If you have Vista SP1 installed and your Vista DVD is SP1 then you are
>>> good
>>> to go.
>>> Just put the DVD in your DVD drive, let it auto-run and choose the
>>> "upgrade"
>>> option.
>>> That should reset things back to normal without losing your installed
>>> apps.
>>> Carlos

Sam Steinhauser

Thank you all for the info! I have a Vista DVD from Best Buy but it is
pre-SP1 and I have everything up-to-date. I don't really play the Vista games
unless I'm just sittung by waiting for some utility to finish. If something
else critical or important is busted I will probably wipe it and do a clean
install. Whenever I put a bandaide on it, I always have this little telloing
me it isn;t quite right and would be better if I had wiped it
--
Sam

"Sam Steinhauser" wrote:

> I have wrecked Vista Ultimate x64 to the point of my games and Windows
> features not working. I have a Intel 965 chipset with ICH8R and run 3 Raptors
> in a RAID 5 config. I have a 4th. drive, 80gb Barracuda, for Linux and
> storage. I got a wild hair to try Slackware. After what I felt was a
> productive couple of hours learning about Linix fdisk and getting a root and
> swap partition set up I managed to write over my second drive of the RAID
> config. I run the Windows Vista disk repair utlitly a couple of times to no
> avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding the
> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive back
> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel Matrix
> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say wcp.dll
> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk and
> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
>
> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
> --
> Sam

Colin Barnhorst

Don't give up just yet. The Vista games can be turned on and off in the
Control Panel/Programs/Program Features/Turn Windows Features on and off.
After the box populates expand the Games entry and deselect. Close (perhaps
even reboot) and repeat the process to select your game(s). The software is
probably cached and no dvd needed (I suspect it is). If it does want the
dvd try the one you have and see what happens.

"Sam Steinhauser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you all for the info! I have a Vista DVD from Best Buy but it is
> pre-SP1 and I have everything up-to-date. I don't really play the Vista
> games
> unless I'm just sittung by waiting for some utility to finish. If
> something
> else critical or important is busted I will probably wipe it and do a
> clean
> install. Whenever I put a bandaide on it, I always have this little
> telloing
> me it isn;t quite right and would be better if I had wiped it
> --
> Sam
>

> "Sam Steinhauser" wrote:
>
>> I have wrecked Vista Ultimate x64 to the point of my games and Windows
>> features not working. I have a Intel 965 chipset with ICH8R and run 3
>> Raptors
>> in a RAID 5 config. I have a 4th. drive, 80gb Barracuda, for Linux and
>> storage. I got a wild hair to try Slackware. After what I felt was a
>> productive couple of hours learning about Linix fdisk and getting a root
>> and
>> swap partition set up I managed to write over my second drive of the RAID
>> config. I run the Windows Vista disk repair utlitly a couple of times to
>> no
>> avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
>> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding
>> the
>> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive
>> back
>> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel
>> Matrix
>> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
>> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
>> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say
>> wcp.dll
>> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk
>> and
>> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
>>
>> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
>> --
>> Sam

Sam Steinhauser

I went there and the box is blank. all my feaures are just gone.
--
Sam

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Don't give up just yet. The Vista games can be turned on and off in the
> Control Panel/Programs/Program Features/Turn Windows Features on and off.
> After the box populates expand the Games entry and deselect. Close (perhaps
> even reboot) and repeat the process to select your game(s). The software is
> probably cached and no dvd needed (I suspect it is). If it does want the
> dvd try the one you have and see what happens.
>
> "Sam Steinhauser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thank you all for the info! I have a Vista DVD from Best Buy but it is
> > pre-SP1 and I have everything up-to-date. I don't really play the Vista
> > games
> > unless I'm just sittung by waiting for some utility to finish. If
> > something
> > else critical or important is busted I will probably wipe it and do a
> > clean
> > install. Whenever I put a bandaide on it, I always have this little
> > telloing
> > me it isn;t quite right and would be better if I had wiped it
> > --
> > Sam
> >

> > "Sam Steinhauser" wrote:
> >
> >> I have wrecked Vista Ultimate x64 to the point of my games and Windows
> >> features not working. I have a Intel 965 chipset with ICH8R and run 3
> >> Raptors
> >> in a RAID 5 config. I have a 4th. drive, 80gb Barracuda, for Linux and
> >> storage. I got a wild hair to try Slackware. After what I felt was a
> >> productive couple of hours learning about Linix fdisk and getting a root
> >> and
> >> swap partition set up I managed to write over my second drive of the RAID
> >> config. I run the Windows Vista disk repair utlitly a couple of times to
> >> no
> >> avail and them realized what Slackware had done to my middle drive. I
> >> unplugged the middle drive and it booted to vista and started rebuilding
> >> the
> >> array with the missing drive. I shut down and plugged the middle drive
> >> back
> >> in thinking I would need to wipe it but Vista came up and the Intel
> >> Matrix
> >> Storage Manager started rebuilding the drives. It finished and the system
> >> runs just great like before except my Games won't open. Crysis still runs
> >> from the folder but Windows Solitaire, Mahjong, Spider, etc. all say
> >> wcp.dll
> >> isn't for this Windows or is corrupt. I have got it off the install disk
> >> and
> >> replaced it. I also tried sfc /scannow with no luck.
> >>
> >> Baffled with format c: closing in! Thanks for any suggestions.
> >> --
> >> Sam

Carlos

Charlie,
I may be pushing the envelope with this but...
Would it be legal for him to borrow an OEM SP1 DVD and do the "upgrade"?
In any case he has a legal OEM key.

Carlos