Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon dealer problem

Canon dealer problem

ransley

I just bought a new Canon 450 Rebel XSI from Wolf - Ritz Camera in
Oak Park-Chicago Illinois, upon unboxing it the orange plastic
battery cover was completely cracked. Knowing Canon would not send out
a cracked battery cover I believe an employee just wanted a new
battery and rushed their actions and broke it, in swapping it out. I
went back but they had no more Rebels for an exchange.

The Lcd took 15 cleanings to remove a smudge in a corner so I might
suspect I bought a demo as smuges - oils from hands can penetrate
plastics.

Is any part of a New Canon covered by a removable protective plastic
film as my Sonys Lcds were?. My Rebel had none.

I have read total shots of a dslr is permanently recorded in Canons
but the manual does not show it or I cant find it, can anyone show me
how to access memory to see total shots taken on my new Rebel.

Wolf agreed I will get a new battery. But used is used and I paid
for a New Canon Rebel.

All my Canon film slr stuff I bought used , and I paid used prices
but It is agravating paying new prices and seeing evidence what I
bought is used.

Is there any other way to confirm you bought an unused new Canon
Rebel XSI. Thanks..

tony cooper

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:01:02 -0500, Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>[posted and mailed]
>
>Your mistake was in buying from Wolf Camera. Their prices are higher than
>from reputable merchants on-line. I have purchased several Canon digital
>cameras and none were wrapped in plasic. Nikon doesn't wrap their cameras
>in plastic either. Camera stores often open boxes and show customers
>cameras, so shrink wrapping would not not let them do that.
>I bought my last two Nikon DSLRs from B&H Photo on-line and have never had
>a problem even though the boxes were not shrink wrapped. Their prices were
>considerably lower than Wolf-Ritz Camera, as well. I may look at a camera
>at Wolf, but I buy from B&H. No sales tax either on-line.
>Your camera is probably not used. Perhaps a prospective customer handled
>it, but I would not call that used.

And I've purchased two Nikon D40s (one for me and one for my daughter)
at Ritz Camera online. I've also purchased a Nikon P2, a Canon
something (I forget what it was), a Sony video camera for me, a JVC
video camera for my son, and a couple of lenses...all from Ritz
online.

The service was always top-notch, the prices equal-to or better than
other online dealers, the shipping was free, and no sales tax was
charged.

The OP has a problem with a Wolf/Ritz camera store. He should have
immediately taken the camera back to the store and worked with them.
He should not have attempted to clean the LCD.

Your claim that B&H is "considerably lower" than Ritz is bullshit.
Both online operations are competitive in pricing. Either Ritz or B&H
may have a temporary special on some item that makes them lower, but
you have to be in the market for that item to take advantage of it.
Be a little patient, and the other store will have a special.

I would buy from B&H as I consider them a reputable company with a
good service record. Their prices are competitive. However, I've
dealt with Ritz because I've been pleased with them and I'm loyal to
vendors who perform.

You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
items. They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.

Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
you is on accessories. They'll try to push filters and batteries and
all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.

That's not unethical, though. The buyer has to exercise some judgment
when dealing with any supplier. Sheep get sheared.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ransley

On Jun 22, 7:00*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:01:02 -0500, Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >[posted and mailed]

> >Your mistake was in buying from Wolf Camera. *Their prices are higher than *
> >from reputable merchants on-line. I have purchased several Canon digital
> >cameras and none were wrapped in plasic. Nikon doesn't wrap their cameras
> >in plastic either. *Camera stores often open boxes and show customers
> >cameras, so shrink wrapping would not not let them do that.
> >I bought my last two *Nikon DSLRs from B&H Photo on-line and have never had
> >a problem even though the boxes were not shrink wrapped. Their prices were
> >considerably lower than Wolf-Ritz Camera, as well. I may look at a camera
> >at Wolf, but I buy from B&H. *No sales tax either on-line.
> >Your camera is probably not used. Perhaps a prospective customer handled
> >it, but I would not call that used.

> And I've purchased two Nikon D40s (one for me and one for my daughter)
> at Ritz Camera online. *I've also purchased a Nikon P2, a Canon
> something (I forget what it was), a Sony video camera for me, a JVC
> video camera for my son, and a couple of lenses...all from Ritz
> online.
>
> The service was always top-notch, the prices equal-to or better than
> other online dealers, the shipping was free, and no sales tax was
> charged.
>
> The OP has a problem with a Wolf/Ritz camera store. *He should have
> immediately taken the camera back to the store and worked with them.
> He should not have attempted to clean the LCD. *
>
> Your claim that B&H is "considerably lower" than Ritz is bullshit.
> Both online operations are competitive in pricing. *Either Ritz or B&H
> may have a temporary special on some item that makes them lower, but
> you have to be in the market for that item to take advantage of it.
> Be a little patient, and the other store will have a special.
>
> I would buy from B&H as I consider them a reputable company with a
> good service record. *Their prices are competitive. *However, I've
> dealt with Ritz because I've been pleased with them and I'm loyal to
> vendors who perform.
>
> You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
> items. *They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
> market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.
>
> Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
> you is on accessories. *They'll try to push filters and batteries and
> all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
> with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.
>
> That's not unethical, though. *The buyer has to exercise some judgment
> when dealing with any supplier. *Sheep get sheared.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
shots taken

tony cooper

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:16:37 -0700 (PDT), ransley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>> vendors who perform.
>>
>> You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
>> items. *They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
>> market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.
>>
>> Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
>> you is on accessories. *They'll try to push filters and batteries and
>> all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
>> with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.
>>
>> That's not unethical, though. *The buyer has to exercise some judgment
>> when dealing with any supplier. *Sheep get sheared.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

>799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
>it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total

I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
The camera was - from what you say -defective. You should have
returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
fix it.

You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
Wolf to get another one in. Wolf would have ordered a replacement.

That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
online. B&H seems to have them on backorder, though. You could have
had another camera within a week from an online source.

--

On Jun 23, 7:42*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:16:37 -0700 (PDT), ransley
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> And I've purchased two Nikon D40s (one for me and one for my daughter)
> >> at Ritz Camera online. *I've also purchased a Nikon P2, a Canon
> >> something (I forget what it was), a Sony video camera for me, a JVC
> >> video camera for my son, and a couple of lenses...all from Ritz
> >> online.

> >> The service was always top-notch, the prices equal-to or better than
> >> other online dealers, the shipping was free, and no sales tax was
> >> charged.

> >> The OP has a problem with a Wolf/Ritz camera store. *He should have
> >> immediately taken the camera back to the store and worked with them.
> >> He should not have attempted to clean the LCD. *

> >> Your claim that B&H is "considerably lower" than Ritz is bullshit.
> >> Both online operations are competitive in pricing. *Either Ritz or B&H
> >> may have a temporary special on some item that makes them lower, but
> >> you have to be in the market for that item to take advantage of it.
> >> Be a little patient, and the other store will have a special.

> >> I would buy from B&H as I consider them a reputable company with a
> >> good service record. *Their prices are competitive. *However, I've
> >> dealt with Ritz because I've been pleased with them and I'm loyal to
> >> vendors who perform.

> >> You have to deal with B&H carefully because they do sell "gray market"
> >> items. *They are upfront about it, though, and tell you when it's gray
> >> market...if you ask or if you read the listing carefully.

> >> Where Ritz, B&H, and all the rest of the major online suppliers zing
> >> you is on accessories. *They'll try to push filters and batteries and
> >> all the other accessory items, and they are never, never competitive
> >> with the accessories they try to add to a purchase.

> >> That's not unethical, though. *The buyer has to exercise some judgment
> >> when dealing with any supplier. *Sheep get sheared.

> >> --
> >> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

> >799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
> >it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
> >shots taken

> I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
> compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
> The camera was - from what you say -defective. *You should have
> returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
> fix it.
>
> You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
> Wolf to get another one in. *Wolf would have ordered a replacement. *
>
> That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
> online. *B&H seems to have them on backorder, though. *You could have
> had another camera within a week from an online source. *
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

799 with the IS lens was the price, B&H was 850, I have 10 days to get
a refund but it was their last one in stock, Buy online, now if I had
any issues I would have real problems. Buying local has alot of
benefits when there are any issues.

tony cooper

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT), ransley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 23, 7:42*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:16:37 -0700 (PDT), ransley
>>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> >799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
>> >it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
>> >shots taken

>> I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
>> compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
>> The camera was - from what you say -defective. *You should have
>> returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
>> fix it.
>>
>> You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
>> Wolf to get another one in. *Wolf would have ordered a replacement. *
>>
>> That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
>> online. *B&H seems to have them on backorder, though. *You could have
>> had another camera within a week from an online source. *
>>

>799 with the IS lens was the price, B&H was 850, I have 10 days to get
>a refund but it was their last one in stock, Buy online, now if I had
>any issues I would have real problems. Buying local has alot of
>benefits when there are any issues.

That depends. I've never had a problem dealing online with reputable
vendors, and I consider both Ritz and B&H to be reputable. I have
returned items. I recently returned a defective item to Abe's of
Maine. They do require that you get a Return Authorization, but the
do provide one.

Buying locally can be good or bad. Too often you have to deal with a
store manager that is too conscious of *his* bottom line and makes you
jump through hoops. Just being able to be face-to-face isn't always
an advantage.

B&H currently has that exact camera at $799, but doesn't have them in
stock. It says "June", but it wouldn't say anything if they were in
stock this day in June. Ritz has the exact camera at $799.

You do save sales tax when you buy online, but I don't know what the
sales tax amount is because I don't know your area.

I'm not encouraging you to deal online vs dealing in-store. I would
suggest you open up your thinking, though.

There are many online "stores" that I wouldn't touch with a 10'
monopod. You just have to check things out.

--

On Jun 23, 8:40*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 05:59:28 -0700 (PDT), ransley
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Jun 23, 7:42*am, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> I don't want to say that the problem was your fault, but you did
> >> compound the problem and place yourself in a very difficult position.
> >> The camera was - from what you say -defective. *You should have
> >> returned it immediately for credit without attempting to clean it or
> >> fix it.

> >> You were too impatient to find a Rebel at some other store or wait for
> >> Wolf to get another one in. *Wolf would have ordered a replacement. *

> >> That camera is available at the same price at Ritz online or B&H
> >> online. *B&H seems to have them on backorder, though. *You could have
> >> had another camera within a week from an online source. *

> >799 with the IS lens was the price, B&H was 850, I have 10 days to get
> >a refund but it was their last one in stock, Buy online, now if I had
> >any issues I would have real problems. Buying local has alot of
> >benefits when there are any issues.

> That depends. *I've never had a problem dealing online with reputable
> vendors, and I consider both Ritz and B&H to be reputable. *I have
> returned items. *I recently returned a defective item to Abe's of
> Maine. *They do require that you get a Return Authorization, but the
> do provide one. *
>
> Buying locally can be good or bad. *Too often you have to deal with a
> store manager that is too conscious of *his* bottom line and makes you
> jump through hoops. *Just being able to be face-to-face isn't always
> an advantage. *
>
> B&H currently has that exact camera at $799, but doesn't have them in
> stock. *It says "June", but it wouldn't say anything if they were in
> stock this day in June. *Ritz has the exact camera at $799.
>
> You do save sales tax when you buy online, but I don't know what the
> sales tax amount is because I don't know your area.
>
> I'm not encouraging you to deal online vs dealing in-store. *I would
> suggest you open up your thinking, though. *
>
> There are many online "stores" that I wouldn't touch with a 10'
> monopod. *You just have to check things out. *
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida- Hide quoted text -

I just looked at B&H its 850 with lens, Ritz is Wolf, same company.

tony cooper

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 07:01:54 -0700 (PDT), ransley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Buying locally can be good or bad. *Too often you have to deal with a
>> store manager that is too conscious of *his* bottom line and makes you
>> jump through hoops. *Just being able to be face-to-face isn't always
>> an advantage. *
>>
>> B&H currently has that exact camera at $799, but doesn't have them in
>> stock. *It says "June", but it wouldn't say anything if they were in
>> stock this day in June. *Ritz has the exact camera at $799.
>>
>> You do save sales tax when you buy online, but I don't know what the
>> sales tax amount is because I don't know your area.
>>
>> I'm not encouraging you to deal online vs dealing in-store. *I would
>> suggest you open up your thinking, though. *
>>
>> There are many online "stores" that I wouldn't touch with a 10'
>> monopod. *You just have to check things out. *
>>

>I just looked at B&H its 850 with lens,

Damn. I don't know what the specifics are of your camera other than
you posted that you have a
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Si_a_k_a_.html
If there's something about your specific camera I don't know, then
screw it. I was just trying to be helpful.

>Ritz is Wolf, same company.

Do you think I don't know this? I know enough to examine a camera
before I leave the store. I know enough not to take home a defective
camera and not to screw around cleaning the LCD or wait for a
replacement part. I know enough to return something that isn't right
the first day. I know enough to shop around and find other sources.
I know enough to be a little patient when spending $800.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

wrote:
: 799 was the price, I went back to the store 5 minutes after I bought
: it bit Wolf had no more Rebels, It still doesnt help me find total
: shots taken

Your camera's immediate predecessor, the Rebel XTi, doesn't track total shots,
so it doesn't surprise me if yours doesn't either.

Bob