Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

Reply
Thread Tools

vista 64 - mouse pointer stuck in top left corner of screen

 
 
liquidstool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2008
hey all

yesterday i had to reinstall vista due to hdd failure, i reinstalled no
problems and to reward myself thought i'd play call of duty, excellent no
problems there.

Today i thought i'd kick some butt again and now disaster!

My mouse pointer refuses to move from the top left corner of the screen on
the main menu of call of duty. I also tried Call of duty UO and lo, the
same problem - not happy.

I've made no changes to anything, other than downloaded and installed SP1
after my game last night.

I don't know if it's anything to do with my screen settings, currently the
resolution is set to 1680x1050 but i'm sure that yesterday it was set
2080xsomething.

i did mess around with the dpi because on some programs, nero, windows mail
the text seemed blurry.

anyone offer any advice?

thx
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Carlos
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2008
Hi,
Is it a wireless mouse?
Have you checked the batteries?
Try another mouse or check your mouse in another PC.

Carlos

"liquidstool" wrote:

> hey all
>
> yesterday i had to reinstall vista due to hdd failure, i reinstalled no
> problems and to reward myself thought i'd play call of duty, excellent no
> problems there.
>
> Today i thought i'd kick some butt again and now disaster!
>
> My mouse pointer refuses to move from the top left corner of the screen on
> the main menu of call of duty. I also tried Call of duty UO and lo, the
> same problem - not happy.
>
> I've made no changes to anything, other than downloaded and installed SP1
> after my game last night.
>
> I don't know if it's anything to do with my screen settings, currently the
> resolution is set to 1680x1050 but i'm sure that yesterday it was set
> 2080xsomething.
>
> i did mess around with the dpi because on some programs, nero, windows mail
> the text seemed blurry.
>
> anyone offer any advice?
>
> thx

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2008
Good suggestions, Carlos. Also, failing anything else, go into the device
manager and delete the mouse entirely. Then allow Windows to re-detect it
and re-load any special drivers it uses.


--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel


"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Is it a wireless mouse?
> Have you checked the batteries?
> Try another mouse or check your mouse in another PC.
>
> Carlos
>
> "liquidstool" wrote:
>
>> hey all
>>
>> yesterday i had to reinstall vista due to hdd failure, i reinstalled no
>> problems and to reward myself thought i'd play call of duty, excellent no
>> problems there.
>>
>> Today i thought i'd kick some butt again and now disaster!
>>
>> My mouse pointer refuses to move from the top left corner of the screen
>> on
>> the main menu of call of duty. I also tried Call of duty UO and lo, the
>> same problem - not happy.
>>
>> I've made no changes to anything, other than downloaded and installed SP1
>> after my game last night.
>>
>> I don't know if it's anything to do with my screen settings, currently
>> the
>> resolution is set to 1680x1050 but i'm sure that yesterday it was set
>> 2080xsomething.
>>
>> i did mess around with the dpi because on some programs, nero, windows
>> mail
>> the text seemed blurry.
>>
>> anyone offer any advice?
>>
>> thx


 
Reply With Quote
 
Colin Barnhorst
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2008
I just went through that with a ps/2 mouse. I tried another mouse and no
problem so I chucked the ps/2 mouse for a new one and that also was fine. I
also suspect the mouse.

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Is it a wireless mouse?
> Have you checked the batteries?
> Try another mouse or check your mouse in another PC.
>
> Carlos
>
> "liquidstool" wrote:
>
>> hey all
>>
>> yesterday i had to reinstall vista due to hdd failure, i reinstalled no
>> problems and to reward myself thought i'd play call of duty, excellent no
>> problems there.
>>
>> Today i thought i'd kick some butt again and now disaster!
>>
>> My mouse pointer refuses to move from the top left corner of the screen
>> on
>> the main menu of call of duty. I also tried Call of duty UO and lo, the
>> same problem - not happy.
>>
>> I've made no changes to anything, other than downloaded and installed SP1
>> after my game last night.
>>
>> I don't know if it's anything to do with my screen settings, currently
>> the
>> resolution is set to 1680x1050 but i'm sure that yesterday it was set
>> 2080xsomething.
>>
>> i did mess around with the dpi because on some programs, nero, windows
>> mail
>> the text seemed blurry.
>>
>> anyone offer any advice?
>>
>> thx


 
Reply With Quote
 
liquidstool
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2008
Well thx for yor suggestions but none of them worked.

I did some experimenting and found that by changing the DPI to 96dpi and
then rebooting, the problem disappeared, however this does not explain why i
have never had this problem before, also as 96dpi is too small for me, i have
to go thru this sequence everytime i want to play COD - which is frequently!

My screen setings via my NVIDIA control panel suggest that i am using my
monitor's native resolution of 1680x1050 and that i use my monitors inbuilt
scaling (22" Samsung SyncMaster Plus 2232BW Pebble) My dispplay settings via
personalization show that the desktop is extended.

Given what i've discovered, i still feel that the problem is not the mouse
or drivers but rather is in some way connected to the display settings.

Any further useful info?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-26-2008
If you are of some considerable age, like myself, I think 1680x1050 on a 22"
could be a bit hard to decipher. Try setting it to 1280x800 (it is a
widescreen, isn't it? - otherwise try 1280x960!).

The default 'dpi' of standard monitors is usually either 96 or 72, making
changes to the 'dpi' can result in strange font rendering, the 'dpi' is
calculated from the geometrics of the physical screen, so I would recommend
experimenting, changing the resolution which will keep the 'dpi' and your
font rendering at something readable. (Hopefully?)


Tony. . .


"liquidstool" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well thx for yor suggestions but none of them worked.
>
> I did some experimenting and found that by changing the DPI to 96dpi and
> then rebooting, the problem disappeared, however this does not explain why

i
> have never had this problem before, also as 96dpi is too small for me, i

have
> to go thru this sequence everytime i want to play COD - which is

frequently!
>
> My screen setings via my NVIDIA control panel suggest that i am using my
> monitor's native resolution of 1680x1050 and that i use my monitors

inbuilt
> scaling (22" Samsung SyncMaster Plus 2232BW Pebble) My dispplay settings

via
> personalization show that the desktop is extended.
>
> Given what i've discovered, i still feel that the problem is not the mouse
> or drivers but rather is in some way connected to the display settings.
>
> Any further useful info?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
text in the upper left corner bob smith Java 2 10-05-2012 10:23 PM
How does .rjust() work and why it places characters relative toprevious one, not to first character - placed most to left - or to left sideof screen? crispy Python 6 08-20-2012 12:45 PM
x, y coordinates of the browser top left corner in Interenet Explorer. igpig@yahoo.com Javascript 1 05-04-2007 06:24 PM
objects default to top left corner when adding to templates LaurieRQHR ASP .Net Web Controls 0 04-11-2007 09:00 PM
Div in bottom left corner Nik Coughin HTML 1 02-20-2004 12:06 AM



Advertisments