Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Learning Python in a group

Learning Python in a group

Jonathan Roberts

Hi all,

I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
people.

I've currently got one other person to learn with me, and we plan to
work remotely over the net using tools such as IM/VoiP/Gobby/WIkis
etc. We'd still like a few others to work with us, with a group of
about 5 or 6 being seen as ideal. We'd also like to find somebody to
act as a mentor/guide who might be happy to meet with us once every
couple of weeks to help keep us moving in the right direction and find
solutions to problems when we get really stuck!

Wondered if there was anybody here who might be interested in working
with us in either of these roles? We both have differing goals, but
ultimately we'd just like to get more familiar so that we can provide
some simple fixes to packages we maintain/scratch a few itches of our
own. Any one is welcome, no matter what your own aim

Would love to hear feedback, especially from anyone who's interested
in working with us...

Best,

Jon

George Oliver

On Jun 22, 3:43 am, "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
> pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
> people.

hi Jon, I'm in the same situation as you and think a co-op method of
learning could be effective and fun. I found the Tutor list that David
mentioned a little while ago but also have been looking for a group
(without success so far). So count me in!

best, George

oesoriano@gmail.com

I might be interested in joining your group. I'm trying to learn
python, too, but tend to get frustrated by the isolation. can you
send me, or post, some details?

- O

AngelinaCarmen

I would like to be a part of this if enough people are able to join
up, I nabbed python less than two days ago, and have been trying to
absorb as much as I can out of websites and practice projects.
Learning this together would speed up the process slightly because we
could share tips and such, all in all, I'm up for it.

Satya Kiran

You can count me in too.I've been into python for sometime now.
I agree that a collaborative learning makes it fun and helps you reach
your goal faster.

Mensanator

On Jun 22, 5:43´┐Żam, "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
> pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
> people.
>
> I've currently got one other person to learn with me, and we plan to
> work remotely over the net using tools such as IM/VoiP/Gobby/WIkis
> etc. We'd still like a few others to work with us, with a group of
> about 5 or 6 being seen as ideal. We'd also like to find somebody to
> act as a mentor/guide who might be happy to meet with us once every
> couple of weeks to help keep us moving in the right direction and find
> solutions to problems when we get really stuck!
>
> Wondered if there was anybody here who might be interested in working
> with us in either of these roles? We both have differing goals, but
> ultimately we'd just like to get more familiar so that we can provide
> some simple fixes to packages we maintain/scratch a few itches of our
> own. Any one is welcome, no matter what your own aim
>
> Would love to hear feedback, especially from anyone who's interested
> in working with us...

Have you considered creating your own Google Group?

> Best,
>
> Jon

windstorm

On Jun 23, 1:12┬*pm, Mensanator <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 5:43´┐Żam, "Jonathan Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,

> > I'm looking to learn Python (as my first programming language) and I'm
> > pretty sure I'd be more successful doing this with a group of other
> > people.

> > I've currently got one other person to learn with me, and we plan to
> > work remotely over the net using tools such as IM/VoiP/Gobby/WIkis
> > etc. We'd still like a few others to work with us, with a group of
> > about 5 or 6 being seen as ideal. We'd also like to find somebody to
> > act as a mentor/guide who might be happy to meet with us once every
> > couple of weeks to help keep us moving in the right direction and find
> > solutions to problems when we get really stuck!

> > Wondered if there was anybody here who might be interested in working
> > with us in either of these roles? We both have differing goals, but
> > ultimately we'd just like to get more familiar so that we can provide
> > some simple fixes to packages we maintain/scratch a few itches of our
> > own. Any one is welcome, no matter what your own aim

> > Would love to hear feedback, especially from anyone who's interested
> > in working with us...

> Have you considered creating your own Google Group?
>

> > Best,

> > Jon

Yeah, set up your personal Google group, post the address here and ask
people who want to join in sounds like a better idea rather than
asking here. Considering time-zone, I don't know how you guys
communicate with each other "real-time". So "post in group, get
discuss and reply" may make more sense.