Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > slightly off-topic: when will Microsoft host a Silverlight newsgroup?

slightly off-topic: when will Microsoft host a Silverlight newsgroup?

Ken Fine

I know about this:
http://silverlight.net/forums/14.aspx
and this:
http://forums.asp.net/1127.aspx

Silverlight Beta 2 was announced at TechEd. I was impressed. When does
Silverlight get a first-class newsgroup?

-KF

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> When does Silverlight get a first-class newsgroup?

Probably, never.

I suspect that Microsoft is slowly transitioning from nntp to http,
i.e., from newsgroup support to support via web forums.

Apparently, no newsgroups are being created for new products any more.

Most MVPs have complained to Microsoft about that, suggesting that,
if MS wants to have web forums that's fine, but that nntp newsgroups
need not be phased out but, instead, an nntp front-end could be
created to access the forums datastore, like forums.asp.net does,
so that those who prefer nntp to access a support datastore not be
left out of the mix.

Microsoft has, consistently, denied that nntp is being phased out,
but the signals are quite clear, given that newsgroups for new products,
even ones as important as Silverlight, are not being created.

Even if "slightly off-topic", as you put it in the subject :
how do your guys (the "regular" end-users here ) feel about that ?

Which do you prefer : web forums or nntp newsgroups ?

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
======================================
"Ken Fine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know about this:
> http://silverlight.net/forums/14.aspx
> and this:
> http://forums.asp.net/1127.aspx
>
> Silverlight Beta 2 was announced at TechEd. I was impressed. When does Silverlight get a first-class newsgroup?
>
> -KF

Rory Becker

Hello Juan,

> Even if "slightly off-topic", as you put it in the subject : how do
> your guys (the "regular" end-users here ) feel about that ?
>
> Which do you prefer : web forums or nntp newsgroups ?

nntp FTW

I love having a reader which I can use to compose my replies in . I Love
the choice of reader that is available
While I understand the usefulness of "marking as an answer" and such like
I really don't think the browser can ever be as eficient for this purpose
for me.

--
Ror

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi KF,

Yes, as you've found, so far for SivlerLight, most of the community support
effort is put in the silverlight forum at

http://silverlight.net/forums

And there hasn't opened dedicated silverlight newsgroup(managed or
unmanaged ones). As Juan has mentioned, in a long term view, we're moving
more resource and more effort to the web based forums since they'll be the
mainstream in the future Microsoft development or non-developmente
community. Also, more MSFT dev or support engineers will participate in the
forums too.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead