Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP 64Bit installation USB devices

XP 64Bit installation USB devices

umwhat

Will XP 64Bit Edition install onto a USB connected Sata2 harddrive? XP Home
Editon will already be installed onto a motherboard connected Sata harddrive.
The bios has boot from USB devices settings.

--
....scribble...scribble...scribble...

John John (MVP)

Other than Embedded editions no other Windows version has support for
installation on USB devices, it is not a supported installation. If you
search the net you will find some information from some folks who have
toyed with this and who claim to have gotten it to work, but you will
also find lots of reports of failure, bugs, and unstable installations.
Most who try eventually abandon the project because the results are
usually unstable Windows installations.

John

umwhat wrote:

> Will XP 64Bit Edition install onto a USB connected Sata2 harddrive? XP Home
> Editon will already be installed onto a motherboard connected Sata harddrive.
> The bios has boot from USB devices settings.

umwhat

I thought that to be the case but having seen the "Boot from USB" option in
the bios I asked the question.

>If you search the net you will find some information from some folks who have
> toyed with this and who claim to have gotten it to work, but you will
> also find lots of reports of failure, bugs, and unstable installations.

...yes...later it conks out.

--

"John John (MVP)" wrote:

> Other than Embedded editions no other Windows version has support for
> installation on USB devices, it is not a supported installation.
> Most who try eventually abandon the project because the results are
> usually unstable Windows installations.
>
> John
>
> umwhat wrote:
>
> > Will XP 64Bit Edition install onto a USB connected Sata2 harddrive? XP Home
> > Editon will already be installed onto a motherboard connected Sata harddrive.
> > The bios has boot from USB devices settings.

umwhat

Will Windows 64Bit Edition install onto a second harddrive if the second
harddrive is connected to an addon PCI card that has a Sata connector on it?
Still, the card would need to be 64 bit compatible...the card I saw says it
for 32bit but does not mention 64 bit.

--

umwhat wrote:

> I thought that to be the case but having seen the "Boot from USB" option in
> the bios I asked the question.

You can boot the computer from USB and you can boot other operating
systems from USB, but not Windows. A PE like Bart's PE is an operating
system that can run from a CD or flash drive. Live Linux CDs are also
operating systems that can be booted and run from USB CD, possibly Linux
versions can be installed on USB drives, I haven't looked into it so I
don't know. But a full Windows installation cannot be booted from USB
drives, it isn't supported.

John

John John (MVP)

Yes, absolutely. Find a suitable card and supply the drivers to the
setup program during the installation (use F6 and have the drivers on a
floppy diskette).

John

umwhat wrote:

> Will Windows 64Bit Edition install onto a second harddrive if the second
> harddrive is connected to an addon PCI card that has a Sata connector on it?
> Still, the card would need to be 64 bit compatible...the card I saw says it
> for 32bit but does not mention 64 bit.

Bobby Johnson

The hardware will work in 64-bit if the driver supports it.
It's the software drivers that are OS specific, not the
hardware.

umwhat wrote:
> Will Windows 64Bit Edition install onto a second harddrive if the second
> harddrive is connected to an addon PCI card that has a Sata connector on it?
> Still, the card would need to be 64 bit compatible...the card I saw says it
> for 32bit but does not mention 64 bit.

umwhat

Hi John,
...you are saying to install drivers at the F6 prompt during installation.
Is that a requirement for RAID and not a requirement for Non-RAID setup.I do
not wish to install a RAID setup.
I will have XP Home Edition on a first harddrive. I would like to install a
second harddrive to install XP 64Bit Edition. I want to use the Backup in the
XP Pro to backup the work I will do for a computer course using Microsoft
Office 2003 which I will install into the XP Home installation.
BTW...
....I was browsing tonight and got the impression that Microsoft Office
Professional 2003 is an operating system. Is that right?...I have thought I
would be installing it into an operating system, Windows XP Home Edition.

--

"John John (MVP)" wrote:

> Yes, absolutely. Find a suitable card and supply the drivers to the
> setup program during the installation (use F6 and have the drivers on a
> floppy diskette).
>
> John
>
> umwhat wrote:
>
> > Will Windows 64Bit Edition install onto a second harddrive if the second
> > harddrive is connected to an addon PCI card that has a Sata connector on it?
> > Still, the card would need to be 64 bit compatible...the card I saw says it
> > for 32bit but does not mention 64 bit.

John John (MVP)

It's a requirement for *all* controllers that do not have drivers
included on the Windows installation cd. In your case you will be
wanting to boot the drive on a controller on the add-on card so you will
need to supply the driver for the controller on that card, i.e. the
drivers that come with the card. Some of the most popular cards may
have drivers included on the Windows cd but don't count on that, most do
not and you will have to supply the driver when you install Windows.

John

umwhat wrote:

> ...I was browsing tonight and got the impression that Microsoft Office
> Professional 2003 is an operating system. Is that right?

No, that is one of the Microsoft Office Suite versions. The only
operating system that has "2003" in its nane is Server 2003.

John