Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless and wired networking

wireless and wired networking

phlarkincpa

I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from AT&T)
a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop
connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the
printers connected to the desktop with the wireless laptop?
--
phlarkincpa

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

If both computers can connect to he Internet and the printer works, then you
are set hardware wise.
The rest is pending on correct Sharing Configuration.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"phlarkincpa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from
>AT&T)
> a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop
> connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the
> printers connected to the desktop with the wireless laptop?
> --
> phlarkincpa

Ron Krebs

"phlarkincpa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am being very cautious about setting up a home network. I have (from
>AT&T)
> a 2wire wireless gateway with a desktop connected by Ethernet and a laptop
> connected wirelessly. Do I need anything else (hardware) to share the
> printers connected to the desktop with the wireless laptop?
> --
> phlarkincpa

First check to see that both computers are listed under network places.
That should confirm that they're both in the same domain. Then go into
Printers and Faxes under control panel (assuming you're using Windows XP or
Vista) and select the default printer of your desktop. Right-click and
select Sharing. Share this printer on your network. Go into Printers and
Faxes on your laptop and select Add Printer. Browse for a Network Printer
(not Local), select the printer from your desktop which should be the only
one listed and you're good to go.

Ron