Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Stupid Safety Question About Photograghing Sunsets

Stupid Safety Question About Photograghing Sunsets

pmoscatello@comcast.net

I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 a while back and I'm very happy with it.
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...OLPIX-L11.html

What I'd like to know:
Is it safe to look directly at the sun through the LCD viewing screen
while taking many sunset photos?

Thanks,
Phil

Stewy

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,

> I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 a while back and I'm very happy with it.
> http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...5563/COOLPIX-L
> 11.html
>
> What I'd like to know:
> Is it safe to look directly at the sun through the LCD viewing screen
> while taking many sunset photos?

I've been photographing sunsets since buying my first digital in 2001.
I've never encountered any problems. If it's too bright to look at -
more than 2 or 3 diameters from the horizon, then wait. If you can look
directly for a second or so and have an afterimage but nothing more,
then there's no problem.

Remember that clouds make the most spectacular sunsets - in western
Scotland it often rains mid-afternoon making this area the most
beautiful for sunsets.

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 a while back and I'm very happy with it.
> http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...OLPIX-L11.html
>
> What I'd like to know:
> Is it safe to look directly at the sun through the LCD viewing screen
> while taking many sunset photos?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

You aren't looking /through/ the LCD screen, but "at" it. So it's OK.

However, be aware that in certain circumstances, an image of the sun can
damage the sensor (more precisely, the all-important colour filter bonded
to the front of the sensor), so you would be wise to minimise the time the
camera points at the sun, especially if it doesn't have a visible shutter
across the front of the lens when switched off.

David

Blinky the Shark

David J Taylor wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 a while back and I'm very happy with it.
>> http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...OLPIX-L11.html
>>
>> What I'd like to know:
>> Is it safe to look directly at the sun through the LCD viewing screen
>> while taking many sunset photos?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Phil

> You aren't looking /through/ the LCD screen, but "at" it. So it's OK.

On the other hand, if they *could* make LCDs as bright as the sun we could
finally easily see the damned things on sunny days.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

David J Taylor

Blinky the Shark wrote:
[]
> On the other hand, if they *could* make LCDs as bright as the sun we
> could finally easily see the damned things on sunny days.

My GPS has a transreflective colour LCD, and I have no difficulty seeing
that on the sunniest of days - the sunnier the better.....

Cheers,
David

pmoscatello@comcast.net

On Jun 20, 2:18*am, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-
this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

> You aren't looking /through/ the LCD screen, but "at" it. *So it's OK.
>
> David

Exactly, looking at the LCD screen is correct. If I were looking
through it, it wouldn't be safe. It seems to me that looking at the
LCD screen is about as safe as watching a sunset cam on a computer.

Phil

Marvin

David J Taylor wrote:

> You aren't looking /through/ the LCD screen, but "at" it. So it's OK.
>
> However, be aware that in certain circumstances, an image of the sun can
> damage the sensor (more precisely, the all-important colour filter bonded
> to the front of the sensor), so you would be wise to minimise the time the
> camera points at the sun, especially if it doesn't have a visible shutter
> across the front of the lens when switched off.
>
> David

That is why I take sunset pictures after sunset or when the
sun is behind a cloud. My rule of thumb is that I shouldn't
point the camera at a light that is too bright for me to
stare at.

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 19, 9:02 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 a while back and I'm very happy with it.http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...-Camera/25563/...
>
> What I'd like to know:
> Is it safe to look directly at the sun through the LCD viewing screen
> while taking many sunset photos?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Safe for you or the camera?

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Jun 19, 9:02 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I bought a Nikon Coolpix L11 a while back and I'm very happy with it.http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...-Camera/25563/...
>
> What I'd like to know:
> Is it safe to look directly at the sun through the LCD viewing screen
> while taking many sunset photos?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Sorry, I bumped the enter key accidently.

It is safe for you, but may NOT be safe for camera.

The imaging chip itself can withstand sun viewing for awhile with
higher f/#s but the filters, as someone else said, may be damaged more
easily. Again it would depend on the relative aperture of your lens.
A fast lens would probably burn a filter pretty fast. However, if the
sun is low down right at horizon, the solar radiance is also
attenuated. So the camera is at risk but how much depends on how long
it is pointed at sun and how high the f/# is. This says cheaper
cameras may be safer than more expensive ones with faster lenses

Personally if I were taking a sunset picture with the sun above the
horizon I would use a neutral density filter on the lens.

Paul Furman

Mike Beede wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Don Stauffer in Minnesota <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The imaging chip itself can withstand sun viewing for awhile with
>> higher f/#s but the filters, as someone else said, may be damaged more
>> easily.

> I thought the camera only stopped down briefly before taking
> a picture, not while composing. I know that's the way it
> works with an SLR, but don't know anything much about how
> other kinds of digital cameras work. Are there cameras that
> stop down during preview?

P&S models or DSLRs with live view work that way.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net