Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > OT-DTV

OT-DTV

S. Smith

I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb. 09.
I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is lost.
The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
TIA
S.Smith

tony sayer

In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb. 09.
>I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
>DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
>nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
>antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
>with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
>transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
>sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is lost.
>The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
>on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
>reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
>the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
>TIA
>S.Smith

Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
posted to a public website would be of use...
--
Tony Sayer

Paul

S. Smith wrote:
> I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb. 09.
> I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
> DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
> nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
> antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
> with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
> transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
> sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is lost.
> The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
> on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
> reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
> the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
> TIA
> S.Smith

This article...

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/30...d-demystified/

mentions this site...

http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

so you can do a bit of planning. Maybe you can figure out where
the transmitters are located, and their distance from you ?

Paul

S. Smith

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
>>09.
>>I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing
>>the
>>DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
>>nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
>>antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
>>with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
>>transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
>>sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
>>lost.
>>The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
>>reception
>>on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
>>reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
>>the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
>>TIA
>>S.Smith
>>

> Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
> posted to a public website would be of use...
> --
> Tony Sayer

We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
outside on top of house.

tony sayer

In article <9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02>, S. Smith
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus

>"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
>>>09.
>>>I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing
>>>the
>>>DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
>>>nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
>>>antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
>>>with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
>>>transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
>>>sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
>>>lost.
>>>The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
>>>reception
>>>on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
>>>reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
>>>the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
>>>TIA
>>>S.Smith
>>>

>> Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
>> posted to a public website would be of use...
>> --
>> Tony Sayer

>We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
>outside on top of house.

Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...

--
Tony Sayer

S. Smith

"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02>, S. Smith
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>
>>"tony sayer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In article <iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01>, S. Smith
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>>>

>>> Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
>>> posted to a public website would be of use...
>>> --
>>> Tony Sayer

>>We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
>>outside on top of house.
>>

> Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...
>
> --
> Tony Sayer

Yuppers.

S. Smith

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:g3e4ni$lc8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> S. Smith wrote:
>> I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
>> 09. I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of
>> purchasing the DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are
>> Sanyo and very nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the
>> rooms that had 13" antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there
>> will be no problems with the switch over. The new TV's receive both
>> Analog and Digital transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the
>> Digital channels sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes
>> the signal is lost. The interference does not occur with the Analog
>> channels, but the reception on those is not as clear as the Digital
>> channels. I am wondering if the reception of Digital could be related to
>> our outside antena or maybe is it the area we live..DFW with maybe poor
>> transmission?
>> TIA
>> S.Smith

> This article...
>
> http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/30...d-demystified/
>
> mentions this site...
>
> http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
>
> so you can do a bit of planning. Maybe you can figure out where
> the transmitters are located, and their distance from you ?
>
> Paul

Thanks...that is something I had not thought about.
S.

Hp

tony sayer wrote:

> In article ?9Pw6k.27950$8q2.1771@trnddc02?, S. Smith
> ?(E-Mail Removed)? scribeth thus
> ?
> ?"tony sayer" ?(E-Mail Removed)? wrote in message
> ?news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ?? In article ?iJv6k.63632$Ni1.25728@trnddc01?, S. Smith
> ?? ?(E-Mail Removed)? scribeth thus
> ???I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
> ???09.
> ???I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing
> ???the
> ???DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are Sanyo and very
> ???nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
> ???antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there will be no problems
> ???with the switch over. The new TV's receive both Analog and Digital
> ???transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
> ???sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes the signal is
> ???lost.
> ???The interference does not occur with the Analog channels, but the
> ???reception
> ???on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I am wondering if the
> ???reception of Digital could be related to our outside antena or maybe is it
> ???the area we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
> ???TIA
> ???S.Smith
> ???
> ???
> ?? Where do you live and what type and where is your aerial?, a picture
> ?? posted to a public website would be of use...
> ?? --
> ?? Tony Sayer
> ?We are located just north of Dallas (Plano/Allen). The antena is located
> ?outside on top of house.
> ?
> ?
> Ummm.. Thats the USofA Dallas then?...
>
> --
> Tony Sayer

ALSO, you might explore antenna designs, if your outside unit was for analog
only, how is it rated for tomorrows digital ???

Neil Green

"S. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV
>change over in Feb. 09. I know there are alot of
>smart people in this NG. Instead of purchasing the
>DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's.
>They are Sanyo and very nice with speakers on the
>sides. These TV's are in the rooms that had 13"
>antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there
>will be no problems with the switch over. The new
>TV's receive both Analog and Digital transmissions.
>I have noticed that when viewing the Digital channels
>sometime have interference and show pixels and
>sometimes the signal is lost. The interference does
>not occur with the Analog channels, but the reception
>on those is not as clear as the Digital channels. I
>am wondering if the reception of Digital could be
>related to our outside antena or maybe is it the area
>we live..DFW with maybe poor transmission?
> TIA
> S.Smith

If your antenna was receiving analogue signals clearly
then it should be fine for digital.
Drop outs and some pixellation do occur more
frequently with digital, and the frequency of these
can be due to a number of things.
Some TV stations have a more consistent broadcast
signal, the reception can be poorer in some areas, it
can be effected by the digital decoder, the cabling in
the house, local factors such as power lines etc.
The occasional pixellation is to be expected, this is
the result of a temporary interruption to the signal,
but a complete loss of signal is something you should
investigate further.

S. Smith

"Neil Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:485af2eb$0$17508$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "S. Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I am not sure where to post my question about the TV change over in Feb.
>>09. I know there are alot of smart people in this NG. Instead of
>>purchasing the DTV converter, we opted to purchase new HD TV's. They are
>>Sanyo and very nice with speakers on the sides. These TV's are in the
>>rooms that had 13" antena hookups. Our main TV's are DirecTV and there
>>will be no problems with the switch over. The new TV's receive both
>>Analog and Digital transmissions. I have noticed that when viewing the
>>Digital channels sometime have interference and show pixels and sometimes
>>the signal is lost. The interference does not occur with the Analog
>>channels, but the reception on those is not as clear as the Digital
>>channels. I am wondering if the reception of Digital could be related to
>>our outside antena or maybe is it the area we live..DFW with maybe poor
>>transmission?
>> TIA
>> S.Smith

> If your antenna was receiving analogue signals clearly then it should be
> fine for digital.
> Drop outs and some pixellation do occur more frequently with digital, and
> the frequency of these can be due to a number of things.
> Some TV stations have a more consistent broadcast signal, the reception
> can be poorer in some areas, it can be effected by the digital decoder,
> the cabling in the house, local factors such as power lines etc.
> The occasional pixellation is to be expected, this is the result of a
> temporary interruption to the signal, but a complete loss of signal is
> something you should investigate further.

Neil, thank you...lots of good information.
S.