Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > System Tray Signal Strength -vs- Wireless Properties Strength

System Tray Signal Strength -vs- Wireless Properties Strength

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

After upgrading to XP SP2, my wireless signal strength shown in the system
tray shows "2" bars and calls it "Low". When I view all available wireless
networks, my network in the list shows "5" bars and "Excellent".

Why the two different strength levels? Which is correct?

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

As you already know, signal strength is a dynamic value that location and
environmental factors can affect. Here is why you have an acute
observation:

1) The View Available Wireless Networks list includes a snapshot of all the
networks in your vicinity. The signal strength displayed in this list is
captured just before the list is presented to you. When you open the
application open, the only ways to update signal strength in that list is to
inititiate a refresh by either clicking the 'refresh' option in the upper
left hand corner or by connecting to a wireless network.

2) The system tray icon displays a current signal strength when you hover
the mouse over the icon. However, this value will not change until you move
the mouse off the icon. Each time you hover, you will get the current
signal strength reported to Windows by the driver. If you hover for 30
seconds though, the information doesn't change.

So how to you observe signal strength in real time?

3) right-click on the system tray icon and select 'status.' This will
dynamically show signal strength reported to Windows from the wireless
adapter. If you wanted to take a laptop and walk around a site to get a
general idea of signal strength, just leave the status page open and watch
the bars.

Does this answer your questions?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After upgrading to XP SP2, my wireless signal strength shown in the system
> tray shows "2" bars and calls it "Low". When I view all available
> wireless
> networks, my network in the list shows "5" bars and "Excellent".
>
> Why the two different strength levels? Which is correct?

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

Thank you for the response. I understand your explanation of signal strength
and how it is reported.

However, If I right click the systray icon and go to status, the signal
meter will show 2 bars. Immediatley afterwards, I then click "View Wireless
Networks" and refresh the list via an F5, the repopulated list shows my
wireless connection with 5 bars.

There still shows to be a disconnect in the two reportings. I tried the
above method at 1 foot away from the wireless router and the system tray
signal strength never exceeded 3 bars. As before, the refreshed network list
still showed my wireless connection maxed out with 5 bars.

Any further suggestions? Thanks.

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> As you already know, signal strength is a dynamic value that location and
> environmental factors can affect. Here is why you have an acute
> observation:
>
> 1) The View Available Wireless Networks list includes a snapshot of all the
> networks in your vicinity. The signal strength displayed in this list is
> captured just before the list is presented to you. When you open the
> application open, the only ways to update signal strength in that list is to
> inititiate a refresh by either clicking the 'refresh' option in the upper
> left hand corner or by connecting to a wireless network.
>
> 2) The system tray icon displays a current signal strength when you hover
> the mouse over the icon. However, this value will not change until you move
> the mouse off the icon. Each time you hover, you will get the current
> signal strength reported to Windows by the driver. If you hover for 30
> seconds though, the information doesn't change.
>
> So how to you observe signal strength in real time?
>
> 3) right-click on the system tray icon and select 'status.' This will
> dynamically show signal strength reported to Windows from the wireless
> adapter. If you wanted to take a laptop and walk around a site to get a
> general idea of signal strength, just leave the status page open and watch
> the bars.
>
> Does this answer your questions?
>
> --
> Jerry Peterson
> Windows Network Services - Wireless

> "Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > After upgrading to XP SP2, my wireless signal strength shown in the system
> > tray shows "2" bars and calls it "Low". When I view all available
> > wireless
> > networks, my network in the list shows "5" bars and "Excellent".
> >
> > Why the two different strength levels? Which is correct?

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

Well isn't that annoying...

Would you mind replying with the adapter model and driver version? I will
attempt the same procedure in house and see what I can find out.