Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What is 'script' in a ASPNET file

What is 'script' in a ASPNET file

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Isn't J# a language that Microsoft isn't allowed to call "Java", but looks a lot like that?
!> While JScript.Net is a .Net enhancement of j(ava)SCRIPT
!> (to be run on the server side in a ASP.Net application).

J#, Visual J# and vjsharp are all the same product, which is being retired.
You can *use* J# forever, but it won't be updated any more and support will end in 2015.

JScript and JScript.Net are Microsoft versions of JavaScript.
The latest version is JScript 8.0.

You can use JScript, if the redistributable is installed,
in an .aspx page by declaring it as the page language :

<%@ language="JScript" %>

You can also use it in Webservices, if the redistributable is installed :

<%@ WebService Language="JScript" class="YourClass"%>

re:
!> Maybe it needs to be installed specifically
!> (as opposed to C# and VB.Net that get installed automatically)?

You *can* install the Visual J# redistributable and it will work in VS 2008.

It's here :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vjsharp/bb188598.aspx

Support for Visual J# is not natively offered in VS 2008, though.
Visual J# was removed from Visual Studio 2008.

You don't have to install it for VS 2005, because support for it is built-in,
although only for Windows and Console programs, not for Web applications.

To add to all this jumble, there's also "Managed JScript",
which is different from JScript *and* from JScript.Net.

It's used by Silverlight.

Read about the differences between the several flavors of JScript here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/gauravseth/arc...d-jscript.aspx

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/