Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > py2exe & application add-ons

py2exe & application add-ons

Alex Gusarov

Hello, I've met a problem - I want my program working without Python
installation but I have some add-on mechanism (add-ons represented by
separate .py files, and application auto-recognize such files on
start).

So, if I will using py2exe for main program and separate .py files for
add-ons, will I need Python installation on client machine?
Maybe other ways exist for such tasks?

--
Thx, Alex Gusarov

Matthew Woodcraft

Alex Gusarov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, I've met a problem - I want my program working without Python
> installation but I have some add-on mechanism (add-ons represented by
> separate .py files, and application auto-recognize such files on
> start).

> So, if I will using py2exe for main program and separate .py files for
> add-ons, will I need Python installation on client machine?
> Maybe other ways exist for such tasks?

py2exe's output includes a complete Python interpreter, so it should
work just fine.

If you want to load the .py files using 'import' you might have to
fiddle a bit, but if you just open the files and use 'exec' it should
be very easy indeed.

-M-

Mike Driscoll

On Jun 19, 6:00*am, "Alex Gusarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, I've met a problem - I want my program working without Python
> installation but I have some add-on mechanism (add-ons represented by
> separate .py files, and application auto-recognize such files on
> start).
>
> So, if I will using py2exe for main program and separate .py files for
> add-ons, will I need Python installation on client machine?
> Maybe other ways exist for such tasks?
>
> --
> Thx, Alex Gusarov

I know some of the people here swear by the "freeze" modules. As I
understand it, you can use them to just distribute your pyc files.
This makes updates very small, or so I've heard. I haven't tried it
yet.

Mike

Alex Gusarov

Thanks everybody, yes, I use 'exec' for files.
And "freeze" modules - thanks too, I almost forgot this opportunity.

--
Best regards, Alex Gusarov