Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

Dominic Payer

The XP backup utility is available for XP Home but not installed by default.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894

With it you can do full, incremental and differential backups.

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to try Acronis Charlie but it is only a Trial and I want
> something for backups after this computing course as well so something
> trusted like Acronis is what I would like. But buying it is not an option
> at
> the moment...I can wait.
> Maybe there is something basic I can do to backup any work I do.
> I could install 64Bit Professional on a second harddrive hoping I can
> backup Office 2003 which will be in XP Home.
> I do not have a reason other than backup, for loading XP 64Bit Edition.
> I may try the incremental backup in 64Bit Professional to backup the work
> I do and I can experiment with 3 or 4 free versions of various backup
> applications.
> I subscribed to giveawayoftheday website, thats its name, and downloaded
> free backup that was "hailed" worthy of use by members of a local computer
> community form members which I frequent. Quite a few people there seemed
> like it...Macrium Reflect.
>
> When th etime comes I may buy Acronis, going by its reputation.
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Download the trial of Acronis True Image and try it out. The trial is
>> fully
>> functional and free, just time limited. I personally use it and recommend
>> it.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > ...it is nice to get replies so quickly..
>> >
>> > I have the Seagate Acronis formatting utility that I downloaded from
>> > Seagate and using it to zero...a harddrive which takes 9 hours for a 2
>> > pass
>> > "thorough clean"...thrills me to the ends of the earth...buying
>> > something
>> > like that is something I prefer to leave in my wildest
>> > dreams...basically
>> > because I am an Invalid Benficiary receiving my core income from the
>> > government.
>> >
>> > What I am trying to achieve is when I am doing my New Zealand
>> > Certificate
>> > in Computing Level 2(and maybe also in, Business) course for which I
>> > will
>> > use
>> > Microsoft Office 2003 Professional in Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), I
>> > want
>> > to backup so my chances of losing any work are reduced. And now
>> > thinking
>> > about that, I would like to use the incremental backup as well.
>> >

>> > --
>> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

umwhat

* Automated System Recovery is not a supported feature in Windows XP
Home Edition using Backup * ...quoted.

Will 64Bit Professional XP allow me to backup what is in the Windows XP
Home Edition harddrive when 64Bit Professional XP is installed on a second
harddrive?

--

"Dominic Payer" wrote:

> The XP backup utility is available for XP Home but not installed by default.
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894
>
> With it you can do full, incremental and differential backups.
>

> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I would like to try Acronis Charlie but it is only a Trial and I want
> > something for backups after this computing course as well so something
> > trusted like Acronis is what I would like. But buying it is not an option
> > at
> > the moment...I can wait.
> > Maybe there is something basic I can do to backup any work I do.
> > I could install 64Bit Professional on a second harddrive hoping I can
> > backup Office 2003 which will be in XP Home.
> > I do not have a reason other than backup, for loading XP 64Bit Edition.
> > I may try the incremental backup in 64Bit Professional to backup the work
> > I do and I can experiment with 3 or 4 free versions of various backup
> > applications.
> > I subscribed to giveawayoftheday website, thats its name, and downloaded
> > free backup that was "hailed" worthy of use by members of a local computer
> > community form members which I frequent. Quite a few people there seemed
> > like it...Macrium Reflect.
> >
> > When th etime comes I may buy Acronis, going by its reputation.
> >

> > --
> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Download the trial of Acronis True Image and try it out. The trial is
> >> fully
> >> functional and free, just time limited. I personally use it and recommend
> >> it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> >>

> >> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

umwhat

...I see I am now asking about this in the other thread I started...XP 64Bit
installation USB devices.
--

"umwhat" wrote:

> * Automated System Recovery is not a supported feature in Windows XP
> Home Edition using Backup * ...quoted.
>
> Will 64Bit Professional XP allow me to backup what is in the Windows XP
> Home Edition harddrive when 64Bit Professional XP is installed on a second
> harddrive?
>
> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "Dominic Payer" wrote:
>
> > The XP backup utility is available for XP Home but not installed by default.
> > See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302894
> >
> > With it you can do full, incremental and differential backups.
> >

> > "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I would like to try Acronis Charlie but it is only a Trial and I want
> > > something for backups after this computing course as well so something
> > > trusted like Acronis is what I would like. But buying it is not an option
> > > at
> > > the moment...I can wait.
> > > Maybe there is something basic I can do to backup any work I do.
> > > I could install 64Bit Professional on a second harddrive hoping I can
> > > backup Office 2003 which will be in XP Home.
> > > I do not have a reason other than backup, for loading XP 64Bit Edition.
> > > I may try the incremental backup in 64Bit Professional to backup the work
> > > I do and I can experiment with 3 or 4 free versions of various backup
> > > applications.
> > > I subscribed to giveawayoftheday website, thats its name, and downloaded
> > > free backup that was "hailed" worthy of use by members of a local computer
> > > community form members which I frequent. Quite a few people there seemed
> > > like it...Macrium Reflect.
> > >
> > > When th etime comes I may buy Acronis, going by its reputation.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

Charlie Russel - MVP

It will backup all your files from any partition on your hard disk(s). Yes.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to try Acronis Charlie but it is only a Trial and I want
> something for backups after this computing course as well so something
> trusted like Acronis is what I would like. But buying it is not an option
> at
> the moment...I can wait.
> Maybe there is something basic I can do to backup any work I do.
> I could install 64Bit Professional on a second harddrive hoping I can
> backup Office 2003 which will be in XP Home.
> I do not have a reason other than backup, for loading XP 64Bit Edition.
> I may try the incremental backup in 64Bit Professional to backup the work
> I do and I can experiment with 3 or 4 free versions of various backup
> applications.
> I subscribed to giveawayoftheday website, thats its name, and downloaded
> free backup that was "hailed" worthy of use by members of a local computer
> community form members which I frequent. Quite a few people there seemed
> like it...Macrium Reflect.
>
> When th etime comes I may buy Acronis, going by its reputation.
>

> --
> ...scribble...scribble...scribble...
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Download the trial of Acronis True Image and try it out. The trial is
>> fully
>> functional and free, just time limited. I personally use it and recommend
>> it.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>

>> "umwhat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > ...it is nice to get replies so quickly..
>> >
>> > I have the Seagate Acronis formatting utility that I downloaded from
>> > Seagate and using it to zero...a harddrive which takes 9 hours for a 2
>> > pass
>> > "thorough clean"...thrills me to the ends of the earth...buying
>> > something
>> > like that is something I prefer to leave in my wildest
>> > dreams...basically
>> > because I am an Invalid Benficiary receiving my core income from the
>> > government.
>> >
>> > What I am trying to achieve is when I am doing my New Zealand
>> > Certificate
>> > in Computing Level 2(and maybe also in, Business) course for which I
>> > will
>> > use
>> > Microsoft Office 2003 Professional in Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), I
>> > want
>> > to backup so my chances of losing any work are reduced. And now
>> > thinking
>> > about that, I would like to use the incremental backup as well.
>> >

>> > --
>> > ...scribble...scribble...scribble...

umwhat

That is good news, thankyou a whole lot Charlie.

ps..I see you know well about...what I don't...and I see your answers are
easy to understand and when I am browsing I look for your name to
learn...thanks a whole lot Charlie.

--

celia_mariars@hotmailcom

celia_mariars@hotmailcom

"Michael" wrote:

> umwhat wrote:
> > If I dual boot XP Home and XP 64Bit Pro will I be able to backup the XP
> > Home installation from the XP 64Bit Professional partition?
> >

> If you have a back-up utility that runs on 64-bit Windows, you can do that.

umwhat

What I have done, is because I did was download and use the free Hirens Boot
CD which has Acronis True Image v8.1 and Acronis Disk Director which let me
resize partitions.
That is a great upgrade for me. The version of True Image is the free
version Acronis gave away some years ago.

yay yay yay !!!

hi...
bye...