Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > changing color of a string inside an asp.net textbox

changing color of a string inside an asp.net textbox

jc

It would appear I cannot do this unless it's a richtextbox...

but is there any way I can change the color of a given string inside a
textbox control?

Maybe with javascript? Postrender? CSS?

If not, does anybody have any javascript code where I can atleast
select (hilite) the given text?

Thanks for any help or information!

bruce barker

<input type="text"> does not support css on text segments (as there is no
span, etc). to set select its just javascript:

document.getElementById('myinput').createTextRange ().find('text to select');

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"jc" wrote:

> It would appear I cannot do this unless it's a richtextbox...
>
> but is there any way I can change the color of a given string inside a
> textbox control?
>
> Maybe with javascript? Postrender? CSS?
>
> If not, does anybody have any javascript code where I can atleast
> select (hilite) the given text?
>
> Thanks for any help or information!

nick chan

document.getElementById('textboxclientid').style.c olor = 'Blue';

On Jun 19, 6:24*am, jc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It would appear I cannot do this unless it's a richtextbox...
>
> but is there any way I can change the color of a given string inside a
> textbox control?
>
> Maybe with javascript? Postrender? CSS?
>
> If not, does anybody have any javascript code where I can atleast
> select (hilite) the given text?
>
> Thanks for any help or information!

jc

> document.getElementById('myinput').createTextRange ().find('text to select');

Thank you . I'm trying the below and getting OBJECT EXPECTED error in
javascript.

on my aspx page I have this:

function SearchText(selectit)
{
document.getElementById('TextBox_Body').createText Range().find(selectit);
}
</script>

In a class called pkb I have this function:

Public Function SelectText(ByVal SearchString As String) As String
Return "<script language='JavaScript'>" + vbCrLf +
"SearchText('" + SearchString + "')" + vbCrLf + "</script>"
End Function

and attempting to call the javascript like this:
ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock(Me.GetType, "client",
pkb.SelectText(TextBox_Search1.Text))

If rightclick view source on the page and do see that the textboxes ID
is TextBox_Body

If I step through the code, the dynamic javascript looks like this
when passed the string car:

<script language='JavaScript'>
SearchText('car')
</script>

Also, once I get past this, will i be able to select more than one
string or repeating strings? Also how can I make this not care about
case?

Thanks for any help or information.

jc

this gives me error "Object Expected"

The original html source:

<head>
<title>
Javascript testing
</title>
</head>

<form name="form1" method="post" action="_Blank" id="form1">

<script language="javaScript" type="text/javascript">
SearchText("test");
</script>

<input name="TextBox_Body" type="text" value="this is a test"
id="TextBox_Body" />
</form>

function SearchText(selectit)
{
document.getElementById('TextBox_Body').createText Range().find(selectit);
}
</script>

... a view source when the error occurs

<head>
<title>
Javascript testing
</title>
</head>

<form name="form1" method="post" action="_Blank" id="form1">

<input name="TextBox_Body" type="text" value="this is a test"
id="TextBox_Body" />
</form>

function SearchText(selectit)
{
document.getElementById('TextBox_Body').createText Range().find(selectit);
}
</script>

<script language="javaScript" type="text/javascript">
SearchText("test");
</script>

giving me the object expected on line 20

document.getElementById('TextBox_Body').createText Range().find(selectit);