Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > undeleteable bookmark folder in Firefox 3

Reply
Thread Tools

undeleteable bookmark folder in Firefox 3

 
 
Trevor Smithson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2008
In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
folder, in Firefox 2.

With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2008
Trevor Smithson wrote:
> In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
> folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
> folder, in Firefox 2.
>
> With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
> get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
> this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?


they've changed the format of the bookmark system in FF 3,
and it sucks.

Are you looking in the bookmark manager? If so, are you
looking at the top level called "bookmarks toolbar" or "All
Bookmarks"? If so, then you can't get rid of those.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2008
pyotr filipivich wrote:
> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on
> Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:02:58 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>> Trevor Smithson wrote:
>>> In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
>>> folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
>>> folder, in Firefox 2.
>>>
>>> With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
>>> get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
>>> this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?

>> they've changed the format of the bookmark system in FF 3,
>> and it sucks.

>
> Urf.
>
> Seeing as how I'm trying to synchronize the bookmark files between
> two separate computers in two separate locations, this may prove "sub
> optimal".
>
> I'll wait and see.
>
> pyotr


unfortunately, you cannot share the bookmark files from FF 3
to FF2. FF 3 uses a brand new system.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2008
pyotr filipivich wrote:
> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on
> Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:12:47 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>> pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
>>> the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on
>>> Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:02:58 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>>>> Trevor Smithson wrote:
>>>>> In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
>>>>> folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
>>>>> folder, in Firefox 2.
>>>>>
>>>>> With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
>>>>> get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
>>>>> this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?
>>>> they've changed the format of the bookmark system in FF 3,
>>>> and it sucks.
>>> Urf.
>>>
>>> Seeing as how I'm trying to synchronize the bookmark files between
>>> two separate computers in two separate locations, this may prove "sub
>>> optimal".
>>>
>>> I'll wait and see.
>>>
>>> pyotr

>> unfortunately, you cannot share the bookmark files from FF 3
>> to FF2. FF 3 uses a brand new system.

>
> I can live with that - if I just have to make one conversion.
>
> What I am concerned about it getting "bookmark file" from computer
> A to computer B. Right now, both systems run FF2. Any upgrade will
> be simultaneous, or more likely from computer B to computer A.
> (Computer B has the fast connections - downloads get done there.)
>
> tschus
> pyotr
>
> posting from computer A. B-)


in the address bar for FF 3, type in about:config. Click on
the little warning message, then look for this entry:

browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML

once found, double click on it and change it to true. Now,
when you close FF 3, all your bookmarks will be save to the
bookmarks.html file.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-24-2008
pyotr filipivich wrote:
> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
> the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on
> Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:23:11 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>> pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
>>> the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on
>>> Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:12:47 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>>>> pyotr filipivich wrote:
>>>>> I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Peter Potamus
>>>>> the Purple Hippo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote on
>>>>> Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:02:58 -0700 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>>>>>> Trevor Smithson wrote:
>>>>>>> In Firefox 3 I have an undeletable top-level folder. I have the same
>>>>>>> folder, in a different location and set as the bookmark toolbar
>>>>>>> folder, in Firefox 2.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> With Firefox 2 I could set any folder as the toolbar folder and then
>>>>>>> get rid of this top-level folder. But I can't figure out how to do
>>>>>>> this in Firefox 3. Any suggestions?
>>>>>> they've changed the format of the bookmark system in FF 3,
>>>>>> and it sucks.
>>>>> Urf.
>>>>>
>>>>> Seeing as how I'm trying to synchronize the bookmark files between
>>>>> two separate computers in two separate locations, this may prove "sub
>>>>> optimal".
>>>>>
>>>>> I'll wait and see.
>>>>>
>>>>> pyotr
>>>> unfortunately, you cannot share the bookmark files from FF 3
>>>> to FF2. FF 3 uses a brand new system.
>>> I can live with that - if I just have to make one conversion.
>>>
>>> What I am concerned about it getting "bookmark file" from computer
>>> A to computer B. Right now, both systems run FF2. Any upgrade will
>>> be simultaneous, or more likely from computer B to computer A.
>>> (Computer B has the fast connections - downloads get done there.)
>>>
>>> tschus
>>> pyotr
>>>
>>> posting from computer A. B-)

>> in the address bar for FF 3, type in about:config. Click on
>> the little warning message, then look for this entry:
>>
>> browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML
>>
>> once found, double click on it and change it to true. Now,
>> when you close FF 3, all your bookmarks will be save to the
>> bookmarks.html file.

>
> Kewl - that's what I'm doing now, moving the bookmark file back
> and forth.
>
> Thanks
>
> pyotr
>


if the computers are on the same network, then try this
[note: I don't know if this is going to work because of the
changes in the bookmark system in FF 3, but]: in the address
bar for FF 2 type in about:config, click on the little
warning, and look for this entry:

browser.bookmarks.file

once found, double click on it and change it to point to the
FF 3 bookmarks.html file.

If you don't see that entry, then right click on any entry,
select New, String, and enter the above line in the first
box, and the location in the second.

Another Note: the file bookmarks.html in FF 3 only become
active when you close the program.

--
*IMPORTANT*: Sorry folks, but I cannot provide email help!!!!

Warning: Private emails sent to me may become public

Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Undeleteable file folders CJA Windows 64bit 3 07-21-2009 03:54 PM
Searching for lost bookmark folder? Dan Firefox 2 04-04-2007 01:54 PM
How to change icons for item in bookmark toolbar folder> Galaxy Firefox 8 07-10-2004 06:57 PM
Bookmark extension or plugin for firefox. TIA roadster3043 Firefox 0 05-07-2004 04:15 AM
how to make a file or folder undeleteable? Tones Computer Information 2 02-19-2004 07:33 AM



Advertisments