Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Unexpected windows login during long operations

Unexpected windows login during long operations

wdudek

I have a website using windows integrated security, with anonymous access
turned off. The site is used to query orders from a database and when the
search takes a long time, a windows login box appears. Regardless of what
login the user enters into this, it does not accept it and the user is locked
out of the system. Our network team and myself have been unable to find out
why this is occurring, has anyone else had a similiar problem? Closing out of
the browser and trying again often results in the same problem.

Thanks,

Bill

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Bill,

From your description, your're encountering constant login prompt in your
ASP.NET page when it executes after a long period, correct?

I've also seen many such kind of issues beofre. Based on my experience,
when the web page continue prompt login dialog and fails(no matter whatever
you input), it probably indicate that there is some permission issue with
the IIS/ASP.NET's worker process identity. Also, the problem certainly is
related to the applicaiton or page since during its processing it may
access some certain resources that may require the permission from the
worker process's identity.

Therefore, you can first verify what's the current worker process's
identity, and for test, you can set it to a powerful account(even local
system) to see whether the result changes.

#Configuring ASP.NET Process Identity
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dwc1xthy.aspx

here is another article about the necessary permissios for IIS6 account:

#Default permissions and user rights for IIS 6.0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812614

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: =?Utf-8?B?d2R1ZGVr?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Unexpected windows login during long operations
>Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:44:00 -0700

>I have a website using windows integrated security, with anonymous access
>turned off. The site is used to query orders from a database and when the
>search takes a long time, a windows login box appears. Regardless of what
>login the user enters into this, it does not accept it and the user is

locked
>out of the system. Our network team and myself have been unable to find

out
>why this is occurring, has anyone else had a similiar problem? Closing out

of
>the browser and trying again often results in the same problem.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bill

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Bill,

How are you doing?

have you got any progress on this issue? If there is anything else need
help, please feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead