Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo database

Photo database

Keith nuttle

I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
places the month and date in the file name.

I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
structure.

Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
free ware, that will show:

thumbnail of the image
keywords to identify content of the image
location and date.

It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
the image files.

It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

Steve Chesney

Photoshop Elements on Windows platforms meets all your criteria except cost.
Look at the "Organizer" module.

An earlier version is available from Adobe for free as "Photoshop Album
Starter Edition" at
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...m/starter.html - I haven't looked
at it but it might meet your needs.

A new web-based alternative is Photoship Express
(https://www.photoshop.com/express/landing.html).

"Keith nuttle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VPa6k.8703$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
>currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
>places the month and date in the file name.
>
> I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
> as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
> structure.
>
> Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably free
> ware, that will show:
>
> thumbnail of the image
> keywords to identify content of the image
> location and date.
>
> It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
> rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change the
> image files.
>
> It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

Matt Ion

Keith nuttle wrote:
> I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
> currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
> places the month and date in the file name.
>
> I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
> as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
> structure.
>
> Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
> free ware, that will show:
>
> thumbnail of the image
> keywords to identify content of the image
> location and date.
>
> It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
> rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
> the image files.
>
> It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

Could try Picasa... it will do basic *non-destructive* editing if you
want, allows easy uploading to Picasa Web Albums (with plugins available
for uploading to Facebook, Flikr, etc.), and should cover your
cataloging needs. And of course, it's free, fast, and easily removed if
you don't like it.

John

Keith nuttle wrote:
> I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
> currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
> places the month and date in the file name.
>
> I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
> as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
> structure.
>
> Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
> free ware, that will show:
>
> thumbnail of the image
> keywords to identify content of the image
> location and date.
>
> It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
> rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
> the image files.
>
> It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

Here's a Freeware list of viewers and editors for you all to check out:

Photo Editing

ArtRage - http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html
Artweaver - http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version
Batch Photo Resizer - http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize
CDI - http://www.2haveit.com/listdetail~id~18923~pt~CDI.html
ColorPic - http://www.iconico.com/colorpic/
Deep Paint - http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3...ml?tag=lst-2-7
Delineate - http://delineate.sourceforge.net/
Digital Enhancer - http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.html
DNG Recover Edges -
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...er-Edges.shtml
Emco Photo Resizer - http://www.emco.is/photo_resizer/features.html
Exif Editor - http://semland.com/ir/#download
Exifer(save Exif) - http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
EyeBrowse - Catfish - http://eyebrowse.co.uk/EyeBrowse/
Faststone Image Viewer - http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
Faststone Maxview - http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
Faststone Photo Resizer - http://www.faststone.org/download.htm
Free Image Editor - Unstoppable Copier -
http://www.roadkil.net/datarecovery.html
FreeMorphing - Unstoppable Copier - http://www.roadkil.net/datarecovery.html
GroupShot - http://research.microsoft.com/projects/GroupShot/
iIco - http://www.mintrasystems.com/world/p...uct.php?p=iico
IdImager - http://www.idimager.com/freeware.htm
- http://www.idimager.com/freeware.htm
Image Analyzer - http://meesoft.logicnet.dk/ (Very nearly automatic
features to improve your pix, especially in the
SPECIAL pull-down, offering Auto Corrections.)
Image Resizer - http://semland.com/ir/#download
Inkscape - http://www.inkscape.org/
Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.net
JpegCrops - http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/
Maximys - http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41417
MS PhotoInfo -
MT Paint - http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/
Oriens Enhancer Gold -
http://www.photo-freeware.net/oriens-enhancer-gold.php
Paint.Net(Get Paint) - http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/
- http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
PhotoFiltre - http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm
PhotoMeister - http://www.photomeister.com/
PhotoScape - http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php
PhotoWipe - http://www.hanovsolutions.com/?prod=PhotoWipe
PictureShark(add watermarks) - http://www.picture-shark.com/
Pixcavator - http://www.pixcavator.com/
Pixia - http://www.ab.wakwak.com/~knight/
Pixie - http://www.nattyware.com/pixie.html
PixVue - http://www.softsea.com/review/PixVue.html
Serif PhotoPlus6 - www.freeserifsoftware.com
Sodipodi - http://www.sodipodi.com/
The Gimp - http://www.gimp.org/
Tuxpaint - http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint
Vicman Software (all free) - http://www.vicman.net/
Wax - http://www.debugmode.com/wax/
Wink - http://www.debugmode.com/wink/
WinMorph - http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/
Xnview - http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enhome.html

Image viewers:

Ahaview - http://www.aha-soft.com/ahaview/ahaviewfree.exe
CDI - http://www.2haveit.com/listdetail~id~18923~pt~CDI.html
FastStone Image Viewer - http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
Irfanview - http://www.irfanview.com/
My Album - http://pmeindre.free.fr/MyAlbum.html
Picasa - http://www.picasa.com/content/download.php
Shell Extension - http://www.firmtools.com/products/shellextension/
SlowView - http://www.slowview.at/
XNView - http://www.xnview.com/

Keith nuttle

The primary purpose would be that database aspect. The basic idea is to
tag the photo with some keywords, such that if I was looking for my
sailboat pictures, I could type in sailboat and it would show all
location of the pictures of my sailboat

Paul Furman

Keith nuttle wrote:
> I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
> currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
> places the month and date in the file name.
>
> I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
> as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
> structure.
>
> Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
> free ware, that will show:
>
> thumbnail of the image
> keywords to identify content of the image
> location and date.
>
> It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
> rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
> the image files.
>
> It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

For home use, I honestly think something like flickr is the best way to
go. Should be no problem finding the originals on your hard drive once
you search on the web versions. It's a lot of work tagging all the
images but quite useful to have that on the web versus just at home.

Ultimately there are better DAM (Digital Asset Management) solutions but
not good cheap ones. It should be possible to move your metadata from
one system to another, for example using the metadata to generate
keywords for stock photography submission but that's also probably going
to involve some pretty intense knowledge of database work & possibly
some programming. Alternatively, you can embed the metadata in the IPTC
fields of the jpegs (similar to EXIF) but careful as compatibility is
not very good for many such programs.

I wound up with a home brewed system for annotating on my edgehill.net
web pages using PHP and the info is stored in simple text files beside
the jpegs so I can search those and reformat however I like in the
future or load it up into a database if I decide to.

Most programs will let you keep your directory structure but if you go
in & move some pics without the program running, the data gets hosed.
Some programs will have a utility running in the background to detect
these kinds of changes.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

Keith nuttle wrote:

> I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
> currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
> places the month and date in the file name.

I got 95 Gb of jpg images (45531 images) and I'm using PixFiler from
http://www.br-software.com/

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

Clair Johnston

Keith nuttle wrote:
> I have about 3gb of pictures most 1.3 and 3.1 mega pixels in size. I
> currently have them organized by month, year, special event. My Olympus
> places the month and date in the file name.
>
> I would like to try some of the photo organization programs but hesitate
> as I don't want them to take over my photos and destroy the directory
> structure.
>
> Could someone one recommend a photo organization program, preferably
> free ware, that will show:
>
> thumbnail of the image
> keywords to identify content of the image
> location and date.
>
> It does not need any image manipulation capabilities, and must not
> rearrange the current directory organization of the photos, or change
> the image files.
>
> It must be easily removed if I don't like it.

On Linux: KPhotoAlbum http://www.kphotoalbum.org/ Does everything you
specified and allows fast classification. I've been running it on
Ubuntu with approx 20000 (60gb) of photos and an happy with the results.
I've got a directory structure similar to yours and wanted something
that didn't modify the file. This suited my needs. YMMV

Clair