Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > New Jet, New Firefox

Reply
Thread Tools

New Jet, New Firefox

 
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2008
New versions of Jet optimising Java compiler and Firefox browser have
just been released.

For both it is a major upgrade.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/firefox.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2008
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:50:16 +0000 (UTC), Steve Sobol
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
said :

>
>I don't think the improvements in Firefox have any to do with Java,
>except that the rendering engine is supposed to be a lot faster no


Java and browsers are like ham and eggs.

One odd thing about the new Firefox is it seems to render a far
greater part of the Unicode set than I expected. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hexentities.html
to see what I mean.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-18-2008
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:06:26 GMT, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>One odd thing about the new Firefox is it seems to render a far
>greater part of the Unicode set than I expected. See
>http://mindprod.com/jgloss/hexentities.html
>to see what I mean.


I think what it must be doing is checking to see if a char is
available in the given font, and if not, uses a backup font. This is
not strictly kosher, but makes sense now we have some CPU power to do
it.

Maybe Java could get this too.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2008
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:50:16 +0000 (UTC), Steve Sobol
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>> I don't think the improvements in Firefox have any to do with Java,
>> except that the rendering engine is supposed to be a lot faster no

>
> Java and browsers are like ham and eggs.


You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??



Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2008
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:13:33 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??


no. In North America they are commonly eaten together, just as Java
and browsers often work together, either with Applets or with server
side code.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-19-2008
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:13:33 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> You mean that people eat both ham and eggs but not together ??

>
> no. In North America they are commonly eaten together, just as Java
> and browsers often work together, either with Applets or with server
> side code.


Applets are pretty rare today.

Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
various standards.

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-20-2008
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:57:45 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
>various standards.


That would be nice, but Ajax has undone that work.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2008
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:57:45 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> Server side Java and browsers are nicely separated by
>> various standards.

>
> That would be nice, but Ajax has undone that work.


No.

AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
coupling between the JavaScript running client side
and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

(except if you use GWT and its RPC mechanism)

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2008
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:51:10 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
>coupling between the JavaScript running client side
>and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.


However the server has to be aware of the flavour of JavaScript on the
client and adjust the code it sends to dodge its bugs and
eccentricities. The blood-brain server-client barrier is anything but
clean.

--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajh°j
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-21-2008
Roedy Green wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:51:10 -0400, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
>> AJAX still uses HTTP, HTML, XML etc. and there are no
>> coupling between the JavaScript running client side
>> and whether the server side is PHP, ASP.NET or Java EE.

>
> However the server has to be aware of the flavour of JavaScript on the
> client and adjust the code it sends to dodge its bugs and
> eccentricities. The blood-brain server-client barrier is anything but
> clean.


That is not how it is done (usually). The server send the same
JavaScript to all clients and the JavaScript itself tests
on what browser it is.

Arne
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firefox 1.0.7 or Firefox 1.5 Beta New releases are out Wild Will Computer Support 0 09-29-2005 07:00 AM
Firefox/Linux import bookmarks from Firefox/Windows? Marek Williams Firefox 2 06-11-2005 04:22 PM
Yahoo! Toolbar Beta for Firefox - Not Compatible with Firefox 1.0.2? NA Firefox 6 04-02-2005 06:13 PM
Firefox gamed - Drudge getting around Firefox popup blocker Venger Firefox 10 12-22-2004 04:37 AM
so what does IE or any of the IE shells have over firefox ? (any anti firefox ppl bother looking at recent plugins available?) *ProteanThread* Firefox 12 10-20-2004 08:31 AM



Advertisments