Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: ADSL 'failed installation'

Re: ADSL 'failed installation'

peterwn

On Jun 17, 10:40 pm, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You may already have a filter installed by the electrician and a
> specific socket where the rest of the cables terminate. Was done at a
> place my mate moved into (9 months old and the previous occupant never
> used adsl)

Good thought! If you use another splitter downstream of the first
splitter, there is no 'upper' frequency band to start with to filter
off, as the first filter has already done it.

Could OP please come back to us when the thing is working and tell us
what the problem was.

EMB

ofn01 wrote:

> According to Orcon who talked to Telecom Wholesale (who initially said the work was fine), it is a faulty ADSL port. They also said the standard of the equipment in our area is poor. Apparently the ADSL cards have 40 ports or something so they won't fix a faulty port as it is not worth it to replace the whole card.

The root of the issue is the incompetent monkeys who work for Downers or
whoever is the Chorus contractor in your area. They will happily port
awap to resolve issues with existing customers but *never* mark the
faulty gear* - thus some other sucker gets a right royal ****ing over by
the same bit of faulty gear. Downers (or whoever) gets paid well for
looking for an 'unknown' problem and thus won't reduce their revenue by
getting their staff to actually act in a sensible manner.

* I've just been down this track with a HDSL connection that kept
dropping.

peterwn

On Jun 18, 5:48 pm, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> According to Orcon who talked to Telecom Wholesale (who initially said the work was fine), it is a faulty ADSL port. They also said the standard of the equipment in our area is poor. Apparently the ADSL cards have 40 ports or something so they won't fix a faulty port as it is not worth it to replace the whole card.
>
> I would have thought they would have found this out straight away when they went to hook it up - rather than telling Orcon (who told us) for two days that the work was fine & having everyone think it was a problem with our house.

Actually one would think that the tech would check the port as a
matter of course before jumpering it to the phone line.

Out of interest, does anyone know the exchange arrangement? without
DSL there is a direct jumper on the Main Distribution Frame between
the cable termination and the switch termination (in the old days
there was one for each phone number since the phone number basically
reflected the configuration of the selectors). Presumably the tech
installs a separate filter or loops the jumper via the card which
would have a built in filter.

There seems to be a hell of alot of jumpering work at Wellington
Central (in Stout Street) judging by the fleet of 'Chorus' vans parked
outside especially in the mornings. One would wonder whether it would
be worthwhile to have a full time jumper person. In the old days the
exchange techs did the jumpering and the outside staff would
(hopefully) find dial tone at the pole box or in the grey pillar.