Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Network Question

Network Question

Jeff Strickland

Two computers, maybe more if this works.

A business out in the wine country where there is no high speed service in
the area. There is a need (a requirement) for high speed internet, so the
owner bought a Verizon card for a connection. The card has a montly fee of
60-ish dollars.

He has a wireless router.

Can I connect the machine with the card in it to the wireless router via an
ethernet cable and install a wireless adaptor in another machine, then get
on the 'net from the second machine through the router and back to the first
machine with the Verizon card in it?

It seems to me that the plan ought to work, but I don't know how much
traffic the card can support, or if it can be networked at all. Frankly, I
know nothing about these cards except that they tend to be expensive so one
needs a very strong reason to get one. I think this business owner would
enjoy getting more work done, but right now a person has to leave a work
station to go to another one to perform tasks that the boss would like to be
done from wherever the person is sitting.

The machines have 10/100 cards in them, which begs the question, why not
connect everything with wires? That's a good question, and is a cheaper
solutioin than buying a wireless adaptor. The same hurdle vis a vis the
traffic that the Verizon card can handle remains.

Basically, I have Machine A that has an internet connection, Machine B which
does not, and a wireless router. I intend to connect Machine A to the
goes-into port on the router, and either connect Machine B to one of four
goes-outta ports on the router, or add a wireless adaptor to Machine B and
connect to the router that way. This will physically establish the network
via hardware, where my plan falls apart is on the software side.

This configuration is different than what is in my house, but I have a far
different environment. I get Verizon FiOS (fiber optic service) that has a
down-converter where the optic cable comes up. There is a CAT5 cable in the
converter that feeds the goes-into port on my router, then I have another
CAT5 cable in a goes-outta port that feeds my computer in the garage. I have
several other computers that wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn
to the fiber system.

Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server somewhere in the
system, but I have no server per se in my own system -- which means I don't
understand all that I know.

Baron

Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> Two computers, maybe more if this works.
>
> A business out in the wine country where there is no high speed
> service in the area. There is a need (a requirement) for high speed
> internet, so the owner bought a Verizon card for a connection. The
> card has a montly fee of 60-ish dollars.
>
> He has a wireless router.
>
> Can I connect the machine with the card in it to the wireless router
> via an ethernet cable and install a wireless adaptor in another
> machine, then get on the 'net from the second machine through the
> router and back to the first machine with the Verizon card in it?
>
> It seems to me that the plan ought to work, but I don't know how much
> traffic the card can support, or if it can be networked at all.
> Frankly, I know nothing about these cards except that they tend to be
> expensive so one needs a very strong reason to get one. I think this
> business owner would enjoy getting more work done, but right now a
> person has to leave a work station to go to another one to perform
> tasks that the boss would like to be done from wherever the person is
> sitting.
>
> The machines have 10/100 cards in them, which begs the question, why
> not connect everything with wires? That's a good question, and is a
> cheaper solutioin than buying a wireless adaptor. The same hurdle vis
> a vis the traffic that the Verizon card can handle remains.

Jeff, This is the thing I would look at first ! A wired connection
will always work with the minimum of fuss.

If you go down the wireless route you will probably have to use an
access point to distribute the signal and you will have to have a
wireless card in each machine that you want to connect.

As far as the traffic handling of the Verizon card is concerned I
wouldn't worry about it at all.... Unless you have a 100Mb Internet
feed !!!

> Basically, I have Machine A that has an internet connection, Machine B
> which does not, and a wireless router. I intend to connect Machine A
> to the goes-into port on the router, and either connect Machine B to
> one of four goes-outta ports on the router, or add a wireless adaptor
> to Machine B and connect to the router that way. This will physically
> establish the network via hardware, where my plan falls apart is on
> the software side.

Physical connections are virtually automatic ! The router hands out an
address and the machine talks to the router.

> This configuration is different than what is in my house, but I have a
> far different environment. I get Verizon FiOS (fiber optic service)
> that has a down-converter where the optic cable comes up. There is a
> CAT5 cable in the converter that feeds the goes-into port on my
> router, then I have another CAT5 cable in a goes-outta port that feeds
> my computer in the garage. I have several other computers that
> wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn to the fiber system.

From either point of view the router does the work of establishing
communications with the ISP. The other side of the router hands out
addresses to the machines as they request them via DHCP. This allows
the machine to communicate with the Internet. Any machine that is on
the same network can also communicate with any other machine on that
network.

> Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server somewhere
> in the system, but I have no server per se in my own system -- which
> means I don't understand all that I know.

Yes the server is in the router ! Its providing DHCP to the internal
network. In reality Wins provides so many server services that most
people don't know about.

--
Best Reagrds:
Baron.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

On Jun 17, 10:56*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Two computers, maybe more if this works.
>
> A business out in the wine country where there is no high speed service in
> the area. There is a need (a requirement) for high speed internet, so the
> owner bought a Verizon card for a connection. The card has a montly fee of
> 60-ish dollars.
>
> He has a wireless router.
>
> Can I connect the machine with the card in it to the wireless router via an
> ethernet cable and install a wireless adaptor in another machine, then get
> on the 'net from the second machine through the router and back to the first
> machine with the Verizon card in it?
>
> It seems to me that the plan ought to work, but I don't know how much
> traffic the card can support, or if it can be networked at all. Frankly, I
> know nothing about these cards except that they tend to be expensive so one
> needs a very strong reason to get one. I think this business owner would
> enjoy getting more work done, but right now a person has to leave a work
> station to go to another one to perform tasks that the boss would like to be
> done from wherever the person is sitting.
>
> The machines have 10/100 cards in them, which begs the question, why not
> connect everything with wires? That's a good question, and is a cheaper
> solutioin than buying a wireless adaptor. The same hurdle vis a vis the
> traffic that the Verizon card can handle remains.
>
> Basically, I have Machine A that has an internet connection, Machine B which
> does not, and a wireless router. I intend to connect Machine A to the
> goes-into port on the router, and either connect Machine B to one of four
> goes-outta ports on the router, or add a wireless adaptor to Machine B and
> connect to the router that way. This will physically establish the network
> via hardware, where my plan falls apart is on the software side.
>
> This configuration is different than what is in my house, but I have a far
> different environment. I get Verizon FiOS (fiber optic service) that has a
> down-converter where the optic cable comes up. There is a CAT5 cable in the
> converter that feeds the goes-into port on my router, then I have another
> CAT5 cable in a goes-outta port that feeds my computer in the garage. I have
> several other computers that wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn
> to the fiber system.
>
> Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server somewhere in the
> system, but I have no server per se in my own system -- which means I don't
> understand all that I know.

If it's a small network, can it not be set up with the Windows Home
Networking? I think that has an option for a computer having internet
access and other computers connecting to that computer to receive
their access?

Baron

Weyoun the Dancing Borg Inscribed thus:

> On Jun 17, 10:56*pm, "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Two computers, maybe more if this works.
>>
>> A business out in the wine country where there is no high speed
>> service in the area. There is a need (a requirement) for high speed
>> internet, so the owner bought a Verizon card for a connection. The
>> card has a montly fee of 60-ish dollars.
>>
>> He has a wireless router.
>>
>> Can I connect the machine with the card in it to the wireless router
>> via an ethernet cable and install a wireless adaptor in another
>> machine, then get on the 'net from the second machine through the
>> router and back to the first machine with the Verizon card in it?
>>
>> It seems to me that the plan ought to work, but I don't know how much
>> traffic the card can support, or if it can be networked at all.
>> Frankly, I know nothing about these cards except that they tend to be
>> expensive so one needs a very strong reason to get one. I think this
>> business owner would enjoy getting more work done, but right now a
>> person has to leave a work station to go to another one to perform
>> tasks that the boss would like to be done from wherever the person is
>> sitting.
>>
>> The machines have 10/100 cards in them, which begs the question, why
>> not connect everything with wires? That's a good question, and is a
>> cheaper solutioin than buying a wireless adaptor. The same hurdle vis
>> a vis the traffic that the Verizon card can handle remains.
>>
>> Basically, I have Machine A that has an internet connection, Machine
>> B which does not, and a wireless router. I intend to connect Machine
>> A to the goes-into port on the router, and either connect Machine B
>> to one of four goes-outta ports on the router, or add a wireless
>> adaptor to Machine B and connect to the router that way. This will
>> physically establish the network via hardware, where my plan falls
>> apart is on the software side.
>>
>> This configuration is different than what is in my house, but I have
>> a far different environment. I get Verizon FiOS (fiber optic service)
>> that has a down-converter where the optic cable comes up. There is a
>> CAT5 cable in the converter that feeds the goes-into port on my
>> router, then I have another CAT5 cable in a goes-outta port that
>> feeds my computer in the garage. I have several other computers that
>> wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn to the fiber system.
>>
>> Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server somewhere
>> in the system, but I have no server per se in my own system -- which
>> means I don't understand all that I know.

> If it's a small network, can it not be set up with the Windows Home
> Networking? I think that has an option for a computer having internet
> access and other computers connecting to that computer to receive
> their access?

It does ! The only downside is that the machine suppling the feed has
to be switched on.

--
Best Reagrds:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g3ajo4$aic$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>> my computer in the garage. I have several other computers that
>> wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn to the fiber system.

> From either point of view the router does the work of establishing
> communications with the ISP. The other side of the router hands out
> addresses to the machines as they request them via DHCP. This allows
> the machine to communicate with the Internet. Any machine that is on
> the same network can also communicate with any other machine on that
> network.
>
>> Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server somewhere
>> in the system, but I have no server per se in my own system -- which
>> means I don't understand all that I know.

> Yes the server is in the router ! Its providing DHCP to the internal
> network. In reality Wins provides so many server services that most

So, what I have to do is make Machine A and Machine B talk to each other,
and then get Machine B to get to the Internet through the card installed in
Machine A.

The router is a wireless router, but it has 5 ports on it as well. Obviously
one of the ports is the feed, and four of them are nodes. I think this makes
a router handle traffic sorta like a hub, or allows hub-like configuration.

The router at my house has a hard-wire coming from the downconverter (the
device that turns my fiber optic connecton into a wire connection). In my
Project, I _think_ I have to connect the computer that has the Verizon card
in it to the same port that the downconverter is connected to at my house,
then connect other computers either by CAT5 or through wireless.

In my Project, there is a computer that is connected to the 'net, and I want
to use that connection at other work stations. I plan on leveraging the
router, but I'm confused that I can make the connections as I want ...

Jeff Strickland

"Weyoun the Dancing Borg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> down-converter where the optic cable comes up. There is a CAT5 cable in
> the
> converter that feeds the goes-into port on my router, then I have another
> CAT5 cable in a goes-outta port that feeds my computer in the garage. I
> have
> several other computers that wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn
> to the fiber system.
>
> Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server somewhere in
> the
> system, but I have no server per se in my own system -- which means I
> don't
> understand all that I know.

If it's a small network, can it not be set up with the Windows Home
Networking? I think that has an option for a computer having internet
access and other computers connecting to that computer to receive

<JS>
It is my intent to do that. I'm struggling with architecture.

</JS>

Baron

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:g3ajo4$aic$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> Two computers, maybe more if this works.
>>>
>>> A business out in the wine country where there is no high speed
>>> service in the area. There is a need (a requirement) for high speed
>>> internet, so the owner bought a Verizon card for a connection. The
>>> card has a montly fee of 60-ish dollars.
>>>
>>> He has a wireless router.
>>>
>>> Can I connect the machine with the card in it to the wireless router
>>> via an ethernet cable and install a wireless adaptor in another
>>> machine, then get on the 'net from the second machine through the
>>> router and back to the first machine with the Verizon card in it?
>>>
>>> It seems to me that the plan ought to work, but I don't know how
>>> much traffic the card can support, or if it can be networked at all.
>>> Frankly, I know nothing about these cards except that they tend to
>>> be expensive so one needs a very strong reason to get one. I think
>>> this business owner would enjoy getting more work done, but right
>>> now a person has to leave a work station to go to another one to
>>> perform tasks that the boss would like to be done from wherever the
>>> person is sitting.
>>>
>>> The machines have 10/100 cards in them, which begs the question, why
>>> not connect everything with wires? That's a good question, and is a
>>> cheaper solutioin than buying a wireless adaptor. The same hurdle
>>> vis a vis the traffic that the Verizon card can handle remains.

>> Jeff, This is the thing I would look at first ! A wired connection
>> will always work with the minimum of fuss.
>>
>> If you go down the wireless route you will probably have to use an
>> access point to distribute the signal and you will have to have a
>> wireless card in each machine that you want to connect.
>>
>> As far as the traffic handling of the Verizon card is concerned I
>> wouldn't worry about it at all.... Unless you have a 100Mb Internet
>> feed !!!
>>
>>> Basically, I have Machine A that has an internet connection, Machine
>>> B which does not, and a wireless router. I intend to connect Machine
>>> A to the goes-into port on the router, and either connect Machine B
>>> to one of four goes-outta ports on the router,

Yes just plug machine "B" into one of the router "out" ports !

>>> or add a wireless
>>> adaptor to Machine B and connect to the router that way. This will
>>> physically establish the network via hardware, where my plan falls
>>> apart is on the software side.

>> Physical connections are virtually automatic ! The router hands out
>> an address and the machine talks to the router.
>>
>>> This configuration is different than what is in my house, but I have
>>> a far different environment. I get Verizon FiOS (fiber optic
>>> service) that has a down-converter where the optic cable comes up.
>>> There is a CAT5 cable in the converter that feeds the goes-into port
>>> on my router, then I have another CAT5 cable in a goes-outta port
>>> that feeds my computer in the garage. I have several other computers
>>> that wirelessly connect to the router, and in turn to the fiber
>>> system.

All your are doing is making a connection to the router. The router
does the hard work !

>> From either point of view the router does the work of establishing
>> communications with the ISP. The other side of the router hands out
>> addresses to the machines as they request them via DHCP. This allows
>> the machine to communicate with the Internet. Any machine that is on
>> the same network can also communicate with any other machine on that
>> network.
>>
>>> Where I go sideways on networks is that I envision a server
>>> somewhere in the system, but I have no server per se in my own
>>> system -- which means I don't understand all that I know.

>> Yes the server is in the router ! Its providing DHCP to the internal
>> network. In reality Wins provides so many server services that most
>> people don't know about.
>>

> So, what I have to do is make Machine A and Machine B talk to each
> other, and then get Machine B to get to the Internet through the card
> installed in Machine A.

If you want to go down the machine to machine route Yes ! Just plug in
a network cable its far easier and more reliable. It will work from
just plugging in the cable.

> The router is a wireless router, but it has 5 ports on it as well.
> Obviously one of the ports is the feed, and four of them are nodes. I
> think this makes a router handle traffic sorta like a hub, or allows
> hub-like configuration.

No its a router ! Each port can handle anything from one machine upto
the maximum for that router. My router "Draytec" has four ports. Each
port can handle upto the maximum number of computers that the router
has address space. In my case 1024 machines. Or 256 machines per port.

> The router at my house has a hard-wire coming from the downconverter
> (the device that turns my fiber optic connecton into a wire
> connection). In my Project, I _think_ I have to connect the computer
> that has the Verizon card in it to the same port that the
> downconverter is connected to at my house, then connect other
> computers either by CAT5 or through wireless.

I have not had the pleasure of a "Verizon Card" ! I assume that its
similar to an internal network card ?

> In my Project, there is a computer that is connected to the 'net, and
> I want to use that connection at other work stations. I plan on
> leveraging the router, but I'm confused that I can make the
> connections as I want ...

As I said, just plug in a network cable. If you need more connections
from the router then use a multi port switch.

--
Best Reagrds:
Baron.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 19 Jun, 11:22, Baron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip>
> > The router is a wireless router, but it has 5 ports on it as well.
> > Obviously one of the ports is the feed, and four of them are nodes. I
> > think this makes a router handle traffic sorta like a hub, or allows
> > hub-like configuration.

> No its a router ! *Each port can handle anything from one machine upto
> the maximum for that router. *My router "Draytec" has four ports. *Each
> port can handle upto the maximum number of computers that the router
> has address space. *In my case 1024 machines. Or 256 machines per port.

<snip>

he's right..
according to what I have heard, these routers being sold with many
ports , are not like cisco routers whose ports are router ports.

The ports are ports of a switch (a switch is of course similar to a
hub, so he's right in his general idea). I don't know where he gets
his terminology of "feed" and "node" from though, or how he figured it
out. It uses some kind of layer 3 switch, so it's not obvious. I only
know 'cos that's what I keep hearing when chatting to people.

Baron

> On 19 Jun, 11:22, Baron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <snip>
>> > The router is a wireless router, but it has 5 ports on it as well.
>> > Obviously one of the ports is the feed, and four of them are nodes.
>> > I think this makes a router handle traffic sorta like a hub, or
>> > allows hub-like configuration.

>> No its a router ! *Each port can handle anything from one machine
>> upto the maximum for that router. *My router "Draytec" has four
>> ports. *Each port can handle upto the maximum number of computers
>> that the router has address space. *In my case 1024 machines. Or 256
>> machines per port.

> <snip>
>

> he's right..
> according to what I have heard, these routers being sold with many
> ports, are not like cisco routers whose ports are router ports.
>
> The ports are ports of a switch (a switch is of course similar to a
> hub, so he's right in his general idea). I don't know where he gets
> his terminology of "feed" and "node" from though, or how he figured it
> out. It uses some kind of layer 3 switch, so it's not obvious. I only
> know 'cos that's what I keep hearing when chatting to people.

Hi James,

I think there is some confusion in interpretation here !
I suppose technically the ADSL/cable modem are both router and switch.
If it were a hub then you wouldn't get the full 100 Mbs on each port
where as with a switch you do. Having multiple ports is very
convenient.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On Jun 19, 9:36*pm, Baron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On 19 Jun, 11:22, Baron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> No its a router ! *Each port can handle anything from one machine
> >> upto the maximum for that router. *My router "Draytec" has four
> >> ports. *Each port can handle upto the maximum number of computers
> >> that the router has address space. *In my case 1024 machines. Or 256
> >> machines per port.

> > <snip>

> > he's right..
> > according to what I have heard, these routers being sold with many
> > ports, are not like cisco routers whose ports are router ports.

> > The ports are ports of a switch (a switch is of course similar to a
> > hub, so he's right in his general idea). *I don't know where he gets
> > his terminology of "feed" and "node" from though, or how he figured it
> > out. It uses some kind of layer 3 switch, so it's not obvious. I only
> > know 'cos that's what I keep hearing when chatting to people.

> Hi James,
>
> I think there is some confusion in interpretation here !
> I suppose technically the ADSL/cable modem are both router and switch. *
> If it were a hub then you wouldn't get the full 100 Mbs on each port
> where as with a switch you do. *Having multiple ports is very
> convenient.
>
> --

how did you discern that it was switch ports and not router ports?

some pro routers do have many (router) ports.