Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

Wireless Network with Internet Sharing Using Dial Up

James B. Holladay

I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e. they
work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
connect to the internet.
According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) using
just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said I
have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.

James

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"James B. Holladay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
> dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
> problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
> they
> work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
> make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
> connect to the internet.
> According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
> using
> just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
> have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
>
> James

James B. Holladay

Jack,
Many thanks. I am currently using a 3COM/US ROBOTICS Courier external modem
and Linksys WRT54GS router.
My main computer is linked to the router via Ethernet cable all others are
wireless.
I was not aware of the modem/router combination.
I will keep this in mind. Maybe I can get my hand on one.

James

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi
This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"James B. Holladay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
> dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
> problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
> they
> work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
> make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
> connect to the internet.
> According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
> using
> just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
> have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
>
> James

James B. Holladay

Jack,
Is there any way to improve my experience with ICS using the equipment I
already have, 3COM/US ROBOTICS Courier external modem
and Linksys WRT54GS router?
Are you aware of any third party ICS overlay software that uses more up to
date code for accommodating ICS with a dial up connection? I guest I have
come to beleive you can find anything if you know how to phrase the
question or description of your needs. It does not seem an impossible feat
to write code for. It looks like MS's method is the only one available for
ICS for dial up connections, is this true or are there choices?

James

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi
This unfortunately the case with Dialup and sharing.
You can improve your Sharing if you use an External Modem and a Router.
Take a look at option 2 here, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html
http://www.provantage.com/data-56net~7BESD038.htm
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"James B. Holladay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have successfully connected two of the computers on my network using a
> dial up internet connection sharing feature of the Windows Network. The
> problem I am having is that these connections are very unreliable, i.e.
> they
> work fine when connected, but if I shut down I may or may not be able to
> make a trouble free connection the next time I boot up and attempt to
> connect to the internet.
> According to Microsoft you can setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
> using
> just one connection. Does anyone have any experience with this. As I said
> have been able to connect a network computer using ICS but not reliably.
>
> James

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
In the past when a lot of users were still on dialup, this ICS substitute
seemed to help in Wireless Sharing.
http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/down...work/proxy.htm