Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > WXP Pro x64 SP3

WXP Pro x64 SP3

RichardAinz

Greetings,
been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install
my much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).

Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.

I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and
had some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.

To my question
- I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to
run the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest
applied. IMHO.

Thanks

Bobby Johnson

No rumors of a Service Pack 3 for Server 2003/XP x64 have
been posted here yet.

Since Server 2008 is out I really wouldn't expect an update
for Server 2003.

RichardAinz wrote:
> Greetings,
> been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install
> my much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).
>
> Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
> answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.
>
> I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and
> had some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
> thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.
>
> To my question
> - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
> least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
> service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to
> run the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest
> applied. IMHO.
>

> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

I wouldn't expect anything soon. SP2 was a solid update, and I haven't seen
any noise about an SP3 for Server (or XP x64) so far. I'd expect one,
possibly next year, just on the basis of when things happen, but that would
likely be the last SP. And it's possible that there might not be another one
at all. But certainly there's nothing happening soon.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"RichardAinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
> been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install my
> much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).
>
> Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
> answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.
>
> I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and had
> some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
> thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.
>
> To my question
> - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
> least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
> service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to run
> the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest applied.
> IMHO.
>

> Thanks

Michael

RichardAinz wrote:
> Greetings,
> been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install
> my much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).
>
> Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
> answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.
>
> I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and
> had some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
> thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.
>
> To my question
> - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
> least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
> service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to
> run the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest
> applied. IMHO.
>

> Thanks

There has been no Windows Server 2003 SP3 yet now. Use SP2.

Colin Barnhorst

XP64 goes out of mainstream support around April of next year so if there is
going to be an SP3 we should be seeing a beta announcement pretty soon. If
not then service pack level two will be the supported version to the end of
extended support in 2014. There is no entry for SP3 in the lifecycle table
for XP Pro x64 or Windows Server 2003 x64 so there is no way of knowing for
sure what will happen.

"RichardAinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
> been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install my
> much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).
>
> Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my questions
> answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.
>
> I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and had
> some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded much
> thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.
>
> To my question
> - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
> least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
> service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to run
> the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest applied.
> IMHO.
>

> Thanks

RichardAinz

Thank you all for answers!
Even if it may not have been what I wanted to hear, its better than a
no. Very enlightening.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> XP64 goes out of mainstream support around April of next year so if
> there is going to be an SP3 we should be seeing a beta announcement
> pretty soon. If not then service pack level two will be the supported
> version to the end of extended support in 2014. There is no entry for
> SP3 in the lifecycle table for XP Pro x64 or Windows Server 2003 x64 so
> there is no way of knowing for sure what will happen.
>
> "RichardAinz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Greetings,
>> been a while since I last posted here and I do it intending to install
>> my much used XP64 on a new machine. (Phenom - Giga-byte - Nvidia, etc..).
>>
>> Browsed this Newsgroup pretty thoroughly and I haven't seen my
>> questions answered, some relation perhaps, but not exactly.
>>
>> I am very content with XP64, use to run it on my Turion HP laptop and
>> had some difficulty getting the sound driver right, but I succeeded
>> much thanks to http://www.planetamd64.com/ forums.
>>
>> To my question
>> - I am aware that XP64 follows Server 2003 regarding core updates (at
>> least that is what I have read in several places) so I wonder when a
>> service pack 3 might be available? Not that I consider it essential to
>> run the system, but a core update is always a core update and safest
>> applied. IMHO.
>>

>> Thanks

Colin Barnhorst

You're welcome.

I'm not sure what you wanted to hear, but there would be no relationship to
the fixes and enhancements that were made to XP x86 anyway so maybe no SP3
will be needed.