Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVDs --> hard drive? (Help-a-Newbie)

DVDs --> hard drive? (Help-a-Newbie)

Hank

My new Vista Business laptop has a very large hard drive
and long battery life.

Apparently I can watch movies on long flights by
in-advance pulling videos from DVDs and storing them in
some efficient format more suitable to the screen.
Therefore, I need some software that will read a DVD and
convert or compress it for viewing on a small screen.

I know absolutely nothing about the methods and tools
available.

???

Thanks,

Noguru

Hank

One more thing...

I'd like to preserve subtitles if possible.

Colon Terminus

"Hank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g1p0ng$s5u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My new Vista Business laptop has a very large hard drive and long battery
> life.
>
> Apparently I can watch movies on long flights by in-advance pulling videos
> from DVDs and storing them in some efficient format more suitable to the
> screen. Therefore, I need some software that will read a DVD and convert
> or compress it for viewing on a small screen.
>
> I know absolutely nothing about the methods and tools available.
>
> ???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Noguru

www.videohelp.com
www.doom9.org

Phisherman

On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:49:59 -0700, Hank <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My new Vista Business laptop has a very large hard drive
>and long battery life.
>
>Apparently I can watch movies on long flights by
>in-advance pulling videos from DVDs and storing them in
>some efficient format more suitable to the screen.
>Therefore, I need some software that will read a DVD and
>convert or compress it for viewing on a small screen.
>
>I know absolutely nothing about the methods and tools
>available.
>
>???
>
>Thanks,
>
>Noguru

Why do you think you need to "pull" a video from a DVD? Just play the
video straight from the DVD, no preparation is needed. Most PCs have
Windows Media Player already installed. It not the best software, but
it works. You can even stop a movie and start it the next day and it
will remember where it left off. For some reason unclear to me you
still want the video on your hard drive (why bother?), then DVD
decrypt will do it (free) or you can purchase DVDFab.

sandy58

On May 30, 2:49 pm, Hank <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My new Vista Business laptop has a very large hard drive
> and long battery life.
>
> Apparently I can watch movies on long flights by
> in-advance pulling videos from DVDs and storing them in
> some efficient format more suitable to the screen.
> Therefore, I need some software that will read a DVD and
> convert or compress it for viewing on a small screen.
>
> I know absolutely nothing about the methods and tools
> available.
>
> ???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Noguru

BlazeDVD Professional 5.0.0.1
http://www.blazevideo.com/dvd-player/
Register with any name and e-mail
Serials:
MWKJHPPDWGH3J3
MVX6AGMNJF35J3
6EGR47JJSQN4J3
6B33PDVJESM3J3
7HTJ89EQQMJ3J3
6B99C3W9CHE3J3
LECMKTW9SXL4J3
7VHHFNVBYHB4J3
6PJT8HXWPND4J3
Good Luck Guru

Hank

I want the videos on my hard drive because the DVD/CD
drive dissipates considerable energy, and battery life
is part of the equation. And, my laptop has an LED (not
LCD) screen that uses power proportional to the
illuminated area. The idea was that the DVD might be
converted to a lower-resolution/smaller display while
it's being pulled from the disc, thus saving further energy.

As an old (8th decade) software writer, I respect those
still in the business - but thanks for the serials anyway.

Hank

Hank

Colon Terminus wrote:

> www.videohelp.com
> www.doom9.org

Good resources -- thanks!
Hank

Hank

AnimalMagic wrote:

> A DVD drive spindle motor uses far less energy than a hard drive
> spindle motor does.
>
> I would sleep the hard drive and watch by DVD.

Whoa!!
How do I "sleep the hard drive"???

Hank

AnimalMagic wrote:

> How many YEARS have you been using windows

Weeks and weeks. I'm an old mainframe guy with a PDP-8
in the living room, then Mac, then Linux. I'll apologize
for my ignorance if you'll consider your (lack of) courtesy.

And I do thank you for the pointer to "sleeping" the
hard drive. It's voluntary ignorance that's a sin.

Hank

AnimalMagic

On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:21:23 -0700, Hank <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want the videos on my hard drive because the DVD/CD
>drive dissipates considerable energy, and battery life
>is part of the equation. And, my laptop has an LED (not
>LCD) screen that uses power proportional to the
>illuminated area. The idea was that the DVD might be
>converted to a lower-resolution/smaller display while
>it's being pulled from the disc, thus saving further energy.
>
>As an old (8th decade) software writer, I respect those
>still in the business - but thanks for the serials anyway.
>
>Hank

A DVD drive spindle motor uses far less energy than a hard drive
spindle motor does.

I would sleep the hard drive and watch by DVD.

If you do not believe me, you can test it. Put a live Linux distro
onto a thumb drive, and remove the hard drive. Boot the dongle, and time
how many DVD play-time hours you get.

Then, put the drive back in, and playback a huge downloaded video file.

I'll bet your up-time is about the same.

Dedicated "laptop styled" DVD players are cheap, and run for 4 to 8
hours per charge.