Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Editing VOB files?

Editing VOB files?

anthony

I often make my personal 'highlights' single DVD disc of best bits
from various discs -- for instance, best musical excerpts by one
singer, taken from a dozen disc sources. Stops me having to stop
viewing to try to remember what clip came next from what movie....
I use DVDDecrypter to rip the VOB files. Then I use a snazzy program
called Video Redo to edit that file, so only the music segment
remains.
Problem is, often one excerpt will be spread across two VOB files. I
cut each VOB file to keep just what I want, and then use the Video
Redo 'Join' function to rejoin those two segments.
My problem is that no matter what I do, I lose almost a second at each
join-point. That'd be no drama in most material, but it really stands
out in the context of music and dance. Are there any programs out
there as intuitive and easy to use as Video Redo but without this
drawback? I've looked at Adobe Premiere but it's as intuitive as bat-
s*** -- you need a PhD to use it!

anthony

On May 7, 7:57 pm, "Raymond Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you are using NTFS file system you can tell DVD Decrypter (IFO mode) to
> not split the file so you get one large VOB file. No joining required. If
> not NTFS then create a partition that is or add a hard drive formatted in
> NTFS.
>
> --
>
> cheers,
>
> Raymond Jones
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> "anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I often make my personal 'highlights' single DVD disc of best bits
> > from various discs -- for instance, best musical excerpts by one
> > singer, taken from a dozen disc sources. Stops me having to stop
> > viewing to try to remember what clip came next from what movie....
> > I use DVDDecrypter to rip the VOB files. Then I use a snazzy program
> > called Video Redo to edit that file, so only the music segment
> > remains.
> > Problem is, often one excerpt will be spread across two VOB files. I
> > cut each VOB file to keep just what I want, and then use the Video
> > Redo 'Join' function to rejoin those two segments.
> > My problem is that no matter what I do, I lose almost a second at each
> > join-point. That'd be no drama in most material, but it really stands
> > out in the context of music and dance. Are there any programs out
> > there as intuitive and easy to use as Video Redo but without this
> > drawback? I've looked at Adobe Premiere but it's as intuitive as bat-
> > s*** -- you need a PhD to use it!

That sounds a great and simple solution -- I'm sure at least one of my
partitions is using NTFS, so it should be plain sailing ...
Thanks for that -- it sounds perfect.

anthony

On May 7, 8:25 pm, anthony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 7, 7:57 pm, "Raymond Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > If you are using NTFS file system you can tell DVD Decrypter (IFO mode) to
> > not split the file so you get one large VOB file. No joining required. If
> > not NTFS then create a partition that is or add a hard drive formatted in
> > NTFS.

> > --

> > cheers,

> > Raymond Jones
> > (E-Mail Removed)

I've had a try, after checking to make sure the relevant partition is
NTFS. Trouble is, it still came up as separate VOB fils as I can't
locate on Decrypter in IFO mode the way to select it to not split the
file. Could you tell me the process for that?
thanks

steam3801

On Wed, 7 May 2008 04:12:49 -0700 (PDT), anthony
<(E-Mail Removed)> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
wrote:

>On May 7, 8:25 pm, anthony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On May 7, 7:57 pm, "Raymond Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> > If you are using NTFS file system you can tell DVD Decrypter (IFO mode) to
>> > not split the file so you get one large VOB file. No joining required. If
>> > not NTFS then create a partition that is or add a hard drive formatted in
>> > NTFS.

>> > --

>> > cheers,

>> > Raymond Jones
>> > (E-Mail Removed)

>I've had a try, after checking to make sure the relevant partition is
>NTFS. Trouble is, it still came up as separate VOB fils as I can't
>locate on Decrypter in IFO mode the way to select it to not split the
>file. Could you tell me the process for that?
>thanks

Tools menu -> Settings -> IFO Mode -> Options : File Splitting ->
change the pull down box from the default 1Gb to "None"
--
steam3801
God hates homos .... but he likes tabouli.

anthony

On May 8, 7:51 am, steam3801 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2008 04:12:49 -0700 (PDT), anthony
> <(E-Mail Removed)> - in a blinding flash of brilliance -
> wrote:

> >I've had a try, after checking to make sure the relevant partition is
> >NTFS. Trouble is, it still came up as separate VOB fils as I can't
> >locate on Decrypter in IFO mode the way to select it to not split the
> >file. Could you tell me the process for that?
> >thanks

> Tools menu -> Settings -> IFO Mode -> Options : File Splitting ->
> change the pull down box from the default 1Gb to "None"
> --
> steam3801
> God hates homos .... but he likes tabouli.

My version of Decrypter has different tabs and no pull-down boxes but
I did find the location to specify file-size.
Thanks heaps. Should work just fine now.

Martin van derPoel

Hi There,
Use Womble video editor.

Regards,

Martin

VOB editing Cubzilla Computer Support 1 05-19-2004 08:38 PM
how to convert VOB files to MPEG-2 serge Computer Support 1 04-28-2004 04:30 AM
Req: Proggy to convert VOB files to AVI files any help out there guys Duke Computer Support 2 10-13-2003 11:03 AM
Vob editing question Donald Love DVD Video 0 09-13-2003 09:41 PM

Advertisments