Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Blu-Ray sales tank for good reasons

Blu-Ray sales tank for good reasons

Gander

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...es-tank-reason

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...crack-released

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ou-might-think

Blu-Ray sales tank for good reasons

DRM, Price and BD-J

By Charlie Demerjian: Monday, 05 May 2008, 9:16 AM

BLU-RAY PLAYER SALES are sucking wind as well they should. According to
Cnet, sales of the DRM infected format players are dropping like rocks.

The not so bright people out there had expected sales to skyrocket once the
format war was done, but it didn't. They thought was people would ignore the
massive defects of Blu-ray and buy like the dumb sheep that they are,
handcuffing themselves to the Sony bank account.

Surprise, it didn't happen. US consumers are still dumb sheep, but this time
they are realizing what is being done to them and they aren't biting. Sony's
hope of having 50% of disc sales this year be Blu-ray are more likely to
happen because of falling DVD sales than rocketing Blu-ray.

The format has three problems, DRM infections, BD-J and greed. The greed
part is obvious, Sony won the format war and are trying to charge people
between 50 and 100% more for a product with marginally better quality. Sure,
it looks better, and the 0.07% of people with 7.1 channel audio setups will
be overjoyed, but for the rest, it is a small step at best over an
upconverting DVD.

Are you going to buy the DVD version for $16.99 on new release sale or
$29.99 for the BD? It doesn't take a genius to realize that the next
iteration of Hollywood Formula #7 with Big Stars #3 and #8 isn't worth it.
The movie studios have yet to convince me that The Water Horse is worth
spending my money on at all, much less at twice the price for DRM'd HD
versions.

That brings us to the next down side, there is no up, DRM. Every Blu-ray
disc is DRM infected even if the producer doesn't want it to be, in order to
get a company to manufacture it, it must be infected. Sony gets an infection
kickback fee as well, so don't think it is purely for protection unless you
mean it in the -racket sense.

Blu-ray DRM infections do not protect anything, Slysoft has cracked it with
their excellent AnyDVD HD product, something I can't recommend enough.
Basically, new DRM schemes are broken before you can buy discs with them on
it, protecting nothing. It will however prevent legitimate users from using
legally purchased media on legally purchased hardware. If you pirate though,
no more compatibility issues, once again making Piracy the Better Choice
(TM)(C)(R).

Basically the new format has DRM baked in and in your face. It costs you
money, hurts only legitimate users, and is laughably insecure. Until it is
abolished, just say no to Blu-ray and spend your money elsewhere, try books
for example. If you must stoop to the DRM infected media, crack it and run
it from your HD, it will save you immense frustration.

The last thing that makes people want to run for the hills is the badly
broken BD-J abomination. Basically, when Blu-ray was 'finished', it wasn't
close to done. HD-DVD on the other hand was well thought out and thorough,
HD had a robust virtual machine that did all the work it needed to, and BD
had none. Sony rushed a hacked BD v1.1 out, followed by 2.0, and instantly
obsoleted all the money spent by the early adopters. All except those who
bought Sony players of course.

There are two problems with this, other than the fact that morons spent
money on a Sony format, it works like crap and it phones home, both comprise
the third negative. Working like crap is the obvious one, to test it, look
at one of the flagship titles, Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Disney insists on
BD-J, customer be damned, and it shows. If you click on any of the options
from the title menu, it pauses, you hear the disc seek, you wait, it loads,
you wait more, and it decrypts, you wait a little more, and then the menu
animates. It is nothing short of a disaster that you can't skip. Unless you
pirate the title, once a gain making piracy the better choice (TM)(R)(C).

In any case, the BD-J support is so half-assed and broken that using it is
nothing less than misery, but you also get the BD benefits as well. That is
incompatibility and higher prices to soothe you while you wait and wait and
wait. Whoever forced this on people should be shot.

The other down side is that to support the so called Profile 2.0, you must
have internet capabilities and access. Anyone here trust Sony? Remember,
these are the people who unashamedly rootkit paying customers and then tries
as hard as they can to bury it, but never apologizes.

With the new BD Profile 2.0, they can run arbitrary code on your player,
download and install whatever they want (You read the EULA didn't you?), and
take any data they want. In return, you get the privilege of watching your
legally purchased media on your legally purchased players. Fair trade,
right? Once again, Piracy is the Better Choice(R)(TM)(C), it doesn't rat you
out to unrepentant rootkitters even if they have a EULA behind them this
time.

In the end, if you buy Blu-ray, you get a more expensive product that is
likely incompatible with your hardware, DRM'd to the hilt, slow as dirt and
it rats you out for good measure. All this for slightly better rez, be still
my beating heart. Player sales are tanking when they should be soaring and
Sony is probably wondering why. Caveat emptor.µ

Morgan

"Gander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news2JTj.116906$Cj7.51928@pd7urf2no

> Are you going to buy the DVD version for $16.99 on new
> release sale or $29.99 for the BD?

I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more for noticeable and
desired increase in picture quality. If you don't care about the difference
then you've got the choice to opt for a DVD instead. I don't see the big
deal.

RCE Defiant

"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news2JTj.116906$Cj7.51928@pd7urf2no
>
>> Are you going to buy the DVD version for $16.99 on new
>> release sale or $29.99 for the BD?

> I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more for noticeable and
> desired increase in picture quality. If you don't care about the
> difference then you've got the choice to opt for a DVD instead. I don't
> see the big deal.

The big deal is when they are obviously trying to take the **** with the
diff in price between BD and DVD on the exact same film. It's people's
choice though innit. If we don't buy it they won't charge it.

--
RCE Defiant

Klark Kent

In message news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed), "Morgan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> burned some brain cells writing:

> I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more

17 - 14 = 3.

Gotta love that British math. Almost as good as their cars and their food.

Morgan

"Klark Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)`> wrote in message
> In message
> news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed),
> "Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> burned some brain cells
> writing:
>
> > I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more

> 17 - 14 = 3.
>
> Gotta love that British math. Almost as good as their
> cars and their food.

A typeo rather than my maths. should have read £13.99.

Morgan

"RCE Defiant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Gander" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news2JTj.116906$Cj7.51928@pd7urf2no
> >
> > > Are you going to buy the DVD version for $16.99 on new
> > > release sale or $29.99 for the BD?

> > I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more for
> > noticeable and desired increase in picture quality. If
> > you don't care about the difference then you've got the
> > choice to opt for a DVD instead. I don't see the big
> > deal.

> The big deal is when they are obviously trying to take
> the **** with the diff in price between BD and DVD on the
> exact same film. It's people's choice though innit. If
> we don't buy it they won't charge it.

But is £4 really an extortionate amount for such a new format. Bearing in
mind they will currently sell far fewer units when compared to DVD. I
wouldn't pay full wack for an older film (unless it was a particular
favorite of mine) But I think £4 more on a new release is fair enough.

RCE Defiant

"Klark Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)`> wrote in message
> In message news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed), "Morgan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> burned some brain cells writing:
>
>> I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more

> 17 - 14 = 3.
>
> Gotta love that British math. Almost as good as their cars and their
> food.

LOL!

--
RCE Defiant

Michael C

"Klark Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)`> wrote in message
> In message news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed), "Morgan"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> burned some brain cells writing:
>
>> I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more

> 17 - 14 = 3.
>
> Gotta love that British math. Almost as good as their cars and their
> food.

You should see our teeth!

scoopex

Michael C wrote:
> "Klark Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)`> wrote in message
>> In message news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed), "Morgan"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> burned some brain cells writing:
>>
>>> I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more

>> 17 - 14 = 3.
>>
>> Gotta love that British math. Almost as good as their cars and their
>> food.

> You should see our teeth!

much better than fat americans.

Pantyhose

"Michael C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Klark Kent" <(E-Mail Removed)`> wrote in message
>> In message news:hlJTj.121375$(E-Mail Removed), "Morgan"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> burned some brain cells writing:
>>
>>> I'll but the £17.99 BR over a £14.99 DVD. £4 more

>> 17 - 14 = 3.
>>
>> Gotta love that British math. Almost as good as their cars and their
>> food.

> You should see our teeth!

Everyone on planet earth has the same teeth, it's just in N Amerika they
spend thousands to fill, straiten, cap, whiten, veneer, replace,
dentures..etc because were so vain and fake.
Not many have real original teeth left to nature.

Beta Ray sucks btw.