Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: ADSL 'failed installation'

Re: ADSL 'failed installation'

peterwn

On Jun 17, 7:32 pm, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> We are with Orcon and our ADSL should have been provisioned yesterday. The ADSL router doesn't connect and says the physical line is down. All phones and normal dial up modems work without ADSL filters.
>
> Orcon are now saying its a 'failed installation' where the ADSL has been setup at the exchange/cabinet and phones/modems work but the ADSL signal is not getting through for the router/adsl modem.
>
> I've never heard of this before though? The house is new (just a few months old) and has cat5 wiring for everything.
>
> They reckon someone has to come out to check it all & may have to install a special jackpoint.
>
> Can this happen? It sounds to me like the ADSL hasn't been setup properly at the exchange/cabinet etc.

Make sure that there is a filter on EVERY phone, fax machine, dial up
modem etc. Double and triple check this. To be on the safe side
unplug EVERYTHING (again double check) and see if the router
functions.

Also is there a monitored intruder alarm? This needs to be filtered
out as well. As far as I know, the phone wiring goes to the alarm box
first, then on to the first jackpoint (in this case it is necessary to
install a 'fixed' filter with the 'high pass' ADSL outlet to a
dedicated ADSL jackpoint and the 'low pass' ordinary phone outlet
feeding the alarm box and everything else).

Another trick is to go to the jackpoint nearest to the demarc. point
and disconnect the 'downstream' connections and see if this makes any
difference.

If speech and dial up data makes it to your house, it is very unlikely
that there is an 'external' fault which would completely block the
ADSL signal to the router.

I tried to help a woman get DSL going a while back and asked her two
or three times if she had shown me ALL jacks - she missed one and that
was the cause of the problem. I did not have time to start
segregating the wiring.

peterwn

On Jun 17, 9:54 pm, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Make sure that there is a filter on EVERY phone, fax machine, dial up
> > modem etc. Double and triple check this. To be on the safe side
> > unplug EVERYTHING (again double check) and see if the router
> > functions.

> I disconnected everything, including the network cables to the modified jackpoints and still no go.
>
> I notice in the 'patch panel' area (in our garage) the two network cables are simply patched directly together & no longer feed into the special phone jackpoint distribution section.
>
> > Another trick is to go to the jackpoint nearest to the demarc. point
> > and disconnect the 'downstream' connections and see if this makes any
> > difference.

> I attempted to do this by choosing the first set of wires in the patch panel nearest the input ones from the phoneline (they're all marked for us which is handy) - but still no go.
>
> I just can't fathom it - I reckon they haven't activated the ADSL yet....

You do seem to have done everything possible to eliminate any
potential hiccups at your end. At this point I would probably raise
the white flag and ask for technical help.

peterwn

On Jun 17, 9:38 pm, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Our alarm isn't phone monitored - we asked & were told it would cost extra to get the alarm wired into the phonelines.

OK, but are you sure that the phone line has not been connected via
the alarm box to allow for monitoring in the future (or because the
alarm installer accidentally did this). The cost of hooking it up
ready for monitoring may be 'peanuts' especially for a brand new house
- the real cost is the daily monitoring fee plus the risk of security
guard callouts. This is the time to consider and check out any crazy
thought.

> We did have two of the phone jackpoints converted over to RJ45 ports so that two rooms could be networked together (like a patch cable) - could this cause a problem with the router not detecting the ADSL signal?

As far as I know there should be no problem sharing phone and data
over the same cable - orange & green pairs for data and blue pair for
phone and brown for second phone line (I think). One leg of pair is
colour and other leg is colour/white. Each pair is twisted at a
different rate to minimise 'crosstalk' between the pairs. - this is
readily noticeable when you strip back say 150mm of cable. To be on
the safe side unplug the computer cables while trying to get things to
work.

peterwn

On Jun 17, 10:35 pm, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yeah I've already logged a call for the technician to come out. WHat I object to is the mandatory $150 fee which I won't feel happy paying if it turns out to be something wrong with the actual provisioning.

If the problem is on your side of demarc. you will have to lump it.
If it is on Telecom's side of demarc. you would seem to have a good
case to have it waived. Even more so if the exchange end work was
botched.

Sorry, but I would put my money on it that there is some 'gremlin' on
your side of demarc.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
peterwn did write:

> Make sure that there is a filter on EVERY phone, fax machine, dial up
> modem etc.

Unless you have more than four. In which case take them all out and install
a splitter.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "ofn01" typed:
> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Jun 17, 9:54 pm, "ofn01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> "peterwn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> messagenews:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I disconnected everything, including the network cables to the
>>> modified jackpoints and still no go.
>>>
>>> I notice in the 'patch panel' area (in our garage) the two network
>>> cables are simply patched directly together & no longer feed into
>>> the special phone jackpoint distribution section.

>>> I attempted to do this by choosing the first set of wires in the
>>> patch panel nearest the input ones from the phoneline (they're all
>>> marked for us which is handy) - but still no go.
>>>
>>> I just can't fathom it - I reckon they haven't activated the ADSL
>>> yet....

>> You do seem to have done everything possible to eliminate any
>> potential hiccups at your end. At this point I would probably raise
>> the white flag and ask for technical help.

> Yeah I've already logged a call for the technician to come out. WHat
> I object to is the mandatory $150 fee which I won't feel happy paying
> if it turns out to be something wrong with the actual provisioning.

I thought that they only charged you if the fault was found to be 'yours'?
--
Shaun.

me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...