Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Disabling XP firewall

Disabling XP firewall

Geoff

I have a 3Com ADSL modem wireless router with a built in firewall, I'm
having problems in that since I upgraded the firmware I keep getting kicked
off my internet connection. 3Com support have suggested disabling my
'software firewall' and trying that. I assume they mean XP's firewall.
Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without bothering
with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
Thanks

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
I would leave the Firewall On.
Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a 3Com ADSL modem wireless router with a built in firewall, I'm
> having problems in that since I upgraded the firmware I keep getting kicked
> off my internet connection. 3Com support have suggested disabling my
> 'software firewall' and trying that. I assume they mean XP's firewall.
> Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without bothering
> with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
> Thanks

bearman

"Geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a 3Com ADSL modem wireless router with a built in firewall, I'm
> having problems in that since I upgraded the firmware I keep getting

kicked
> off my internet connection. 3Com support have suggested disabling my
> 'software firewall' and trying that. I assume they mean XP's firewall.
> Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without

bothering
> with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
> Thanks

Check your firewall's network settings. Maybe they're too stringent.
--
Bearman
If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

Luap

Geoff wrote:
> I have a 3Com ADSL modem wireless router with a built in firewall, I'm
> having problems in that since I upgraded the firmware I keep getting kicked
> off my internet connection. 3Com support have suggested disabling my
> 'software firewall' and trying that. I assume they mean XP's firewall.
> Is it sufficient to reply simply on the router's firewall without bothering
> with XP's firewall? I'm a little concerned at disabling XP's firewall.
> Thanks

Aside from the fact that we are virtually forced to use Windows, I
wouldn't trust Micro$oft products one bit. Junk the Firewall and
download Zonealarm (Zonelabs.com). Also think about getting Mozilla's
excellent Firefox and Thunderbird (Mozilla.org).
Lua

Brian McMullen

Firefox isn't the end-all to internet browsing, it has security flaws just
like IE. firefox just hasn't been out long enough for the codemonkeys to
compromise it.
http://www.computerworld.com/securit...100060,00.html