Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Digital Lenses

Nikon Digital Lenses

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

Ray Fischer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
>asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
>the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
>told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
>Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
>and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
>please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
>much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
>the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
>not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
>suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
>have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

That said, your real question is something along the lines of "will
this lens work as well with my digital camera as it did with my film
camera?", and the answer to that is approximately "yes".

--
Ray Fischer

Steve

On 15 Jun 2008 05:09:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
>>asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
>>the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
>>told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
>>Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
>>and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
>>please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
>>much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
>>the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
>>not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
>>suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
>>have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

>There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
>analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

There are, however, optimizations manufacturers can do to lenses for
digital cameras. Like the DX format, giving you a smaller, lighter
lens because the image circle doesn't have to be as big. Or improved
coatings or lens design to control abberations that show up more with
digital than film. For instance, my old 80-200 f/2.8 push-pull zoom
works great with a D200. But it has some chromatic abberation that
wouldn't show up as much if it wasn't designed long before digital
cameras. The CA with that lens is not as apparent on a film camera as
a digital.

>That said, your real question is something along the lines of "will
>this lens work as well with my digital camera as it did with my film
>camera?", and the answer to that is approximately "yes".

approximately.

Steve

Ray Fischer

Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 15 Jun 2008 05:09:00 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Five years ago, I bought a D-100. At the time, I had a Nikon 6006 35mm camera. I
>>>asked the salesperson when I bought the digital if I could use the lens I had on
>>>the 6006 I don't remember the specs on the lens other than it was a Nikon. He
>>>told me I should get a lens better suited to a digital camera and sold me a
>>>Nikon AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5 -4.5D. I was checking my camera equipment tonight
>>>and saw that my telephoto lens is a Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210mm 1:4 -5.6. Now
>>>please understand that while I bought quality equipment, I don't use it all that
>>>much. But I want it when I need it. Anyway, I really can't remember if I bought
>>>the telephoto lens, if that's what it's considered, after I got the D-100 or
>>>not, but since they're both Nikon AF Nikkor lenses is the longer lens also a
>>>suitable digital lens? I've used it and it seems okay, but I want to make sure I
>>>have the right lens. Thanks for any help.

>>There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
>>analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

>There are, however, optimizations manufacturers can do to lenses for
>digital cameras.

There are optmizations for the film/sensor size. The thing is, it's
very hard to till what size sensor the lens works best with.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

John Turco

Ray Fischer wrote:

<edited for brevity>

> There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
> analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

<edited>

Hello, Ray:

There's >no< difference, you claim? Well, not quite.

That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
some vignetting.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Ray Fischer

John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:

><edited for brevity>
>
>> There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
>> analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

><edited>
>
>Hello, Ray:
>
>There's >no< difference, you claim?

No, I said that there "is no such thing".

> Well, not quite.
>
>That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
>some vignetting.

It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Chris Malcolm

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Ray Fischer wrote:

>><edited for brevity>
>>
>>> There is no such thing as a "digital lens". They are all wholly
>>> analog and usually use glass to focus the light.

>><edited>
>>
>>Hello, Ray:
>>
>>There's >no< difference, you claim?

> No, I said that there "is no such thing".

>> Well, not quite.
>>
>>That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
>>some vignetting.

> It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

You could argue that a Fresnel lens is sort of digital I suppose.

--
Chris Malcolm (E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

ASAAR

On 20 Jun 2008 08:20:43 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

>> That is, using a "digital lens" on a film SLR, might result in
>> some vignetting.

> It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

Nope. My old film SLRs were fully analog, funneling light waves
to the film plane. My DSLRs are instead digital, transmitting only
light packets, (aka quanta) to the sensors. My first 2mp P&S
(purchased late last century) was not nearly as light sensitive as
today's cameras, but it was a true bridge camera, working as it did
with 'Hoffmann' wavicles. Sigma is working on a new design that
uses lens elements that have a good refractive index for phlogiston,
but it has one major limitation. Those physical properties are only
really effective right here, in the center of the known universe.

ASAAR

On 20 Jun 2008 10:21:47 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:

>> It's still an analog lens designed for a small sensor.

> You could argue that a Fresnel lens is sort of digital I suppose.

Then it may be possible to convert Nikon's Coolpix 8400 into a one
of the few truly digital cameras in existence. It's not very cost
effective though, and it must be a bear to clean.

http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp...&searchcatid=3