Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cannon v Nikon lens

Cannon v Nikon lens

gary@justservices.com

On Jun 16, 1:55*am, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>

> *(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Jun 16, 1:27*am, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > For me, the "need" behind buying Canon instead of Nikon lenses is very
> > > simple. Nikon lenses are not compatible with my Canon dSLR, while Canon
> > > lenses are compatible.

> > Is this why, you and others 'skip around', cos you don't know ?

> > Your way out? Put the question back on the punter?

> > Is this group full a ****? I read this stuff (like your reply) MORE
> > than once in here, someone must give answers surly???

> You asked a question and several people provided interesting responses.
> I do not see what more you can expect.- Hide quoted text -

YOU are a total dip!

RE-Read the thread!

Do not tell people ****, like you do!

YOU HAVE no reply,
gARY

PS, No wonder you want to lose this message in 6 days??

gary@justservices.com

On Jun 16, 2:00*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jun 16, 1:55*am, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > *(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> > > Is this why, you and others 'skip around', cos you don't know ?

> > > Your way out? Put the question back on the punter?

> > > Is this group full a ****? I read this stuff (like your reply) MORE
> > > than once in here, someone must give answers surly???

> > You asked a question and several people provided interesting responses.
> > I do not see what more you can expect.- Hide quoted text -

> YOU are a total dip!
>
> RE-Read the thread!
>
> Do not tell people ****, like you do!
>
> YOU HAVE no reply,
> gARY
>
> PS, No wonder you want to lose this message in 6 days??- Hide quoted text -

I try again....

"the type of photography you expect to do most frequently"

So Canon is what type?

Nikon is what type?

Someone tell me please!!!!
gARY

Paul Furman

> On Jun 15, 10:19 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Thank you all for the response, I will reply to this post only at the
>> moment because this is still the question and takes it yet one step
>> further (without actually answering my point) and clearly the winner
>> for being nearly there, please see below:-
>>
>> On Jun 15, 12:50 pm, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> In article
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
>>> shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
>>> actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
>>> type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
>>> decision on your particular needs.

>> So, with regard to the lenses available
>>
>> What would my needs be if I chose Canon
>>
>> Nikon, same question?
>>
>> This is the total point of my post.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> gARY- Hide quoted text -

> OK, someone is going to pick up on my first post "(and forget range
> of lenses!)", the reason was I didn't want anyone saying that 'I
> decided to buy Canon' because they have more options.
>
> The 'Particular Needs' is what I would like to hear about.

Excellent, affordable, fast, long, wide, compact & sturdy MF lenses
which all meter perfectly on a D200 & above.

There are lots of specific comparisons to be made depending what's
important to you for old & new lenses:

If you don't mind stop down metering, Canon with an adapter is fine.
Compared to a budget Nikon body, Canon will do more. D200 & above will
do more than Canon with Nikkors.

Wide Angle
-for Fx, Nikon's new 14-24 is reason alone to choose that brand if it
fills a primary need for you. For me that's too big & clunky for where I
want wide angle. Canon has a nice 10-20 which Nikon lacks but the
Sigma's supposed to be OK. Nikon has a 10.5mm Dx fisheye that Canon lacks.

Nikon 28mm f/1.4 AF
Nikon 35mm f/1.4 vs Canon AF 35mm f/1.4
Nikon 50mm f/1.2 vs Canon AF 50mm f/1.2
Nikon 58mm f/1.2
Nikon 85mm f/1.4 vs Canon 85mm f/1.2
-budget plays a role in this decision, the smart choice is Nikon 35/1.4
& 85/1.4 unless you can afford more and have very very specific needs
and Nikon still might win with the 28/1.4 & 58/1.2. A Canon shooter
might never consider such lenses but it's not a big deal to afford old
Nikkors.

Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR vs Canon 70-200/2.8 IS
-recently the Canon has been discovered better on Fx (not on Dx though).
Canon has an f/4 version and a non-IS I think, which is nice. Nikon has
old variations in that range.

Super Macro
Canon has a modern lens for up to 5:1 Nikon has great old klunky
scientist gear that'll work just as well on a Canon.

Super Telephoto
I think they are about equal now that Nikon has new long VR models. And
you can save thousands going with an old manual focus Nikkor (some real
jewels) or old 3rd party lens. Canon has the option of IS on moderate
speed super-teles like 400mm f/5.6 IS.

Tilt/Shift
-Nikon has some killer new lenses in this category. Canon had more
options before but they aren't the best optically & this type of lens is
for super picky studio work so Nikon has them beat for tabletop product
work & architecture.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

David J Taylor

Shawn Hirn wrote:
[]
> At the end of the day, all brands of dSLR camera work exactly the same
> way; allowing light into a box. they both rely on the physics of
> light, such as aperture, shutter sped, and depth of field. In my
> opinion, it really is, six of one, half dozen of the other.

Quite right - it is a pity that "gARY" cannot see this, and only insults
those who try and help.

David

Chris H

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
>
>1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……
>
>2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……
>
>The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
>have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
>question.

Both have a range of lenses to cover almost anything
Both have a range of bodies to cover almost anything

Both Nikon and Canon tend to leapfrog each other with their equipment
every 6-18 months

Some times in some areas Canon predominate
Some times in some areas Nikon predominate.
Some times the areas they predominate in changes

I use a Nikon because a friend did and I tried his and liked it.

He said at the time Nikon had just brought out the camera and Canon did
not have anything similar (until 12 months later when Canon brought out
something slightly better than the Nikon but then 12 months later
Nikon....
SO both he and I could have wound up using Canon

What sort of photography do you want to do?

Oh to hell with it... after all this is rec.phot.digital....

USE NIKON because God Uses Nikon.

God Uses Nikon because they are Much Better(tm) than Canon and will
take far better pictures even if you don't know how to operate them...

Canon users are all going to ROT In HELL

I feel better now

gary@justservices.com

On Jun 16, 7:35*am, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-
this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
> []
>
> > At the end of the day, all brands of dSLR camera work exactly the same
> > way; allowing light into a box. they both rely on the physics of
> > light, such as aperture, shutter sped, and depth of field. In my
> > opinion, it really is, six of one, half dozen of the other.

> Quite right - it is a pity that "gARY" cannot see this, and only insults
> those who try and help.
>
> David

Hey, firstly guys I must apologies for my outburst (however the above
posts just gave me the answer I was looking for).

I, overall, like David here honest and true he is, and I now seen
two of his posts!

I never did ask whether to chose Canon or Nikon as a camera body but
I see too many of you chucking that in the pool of emotions (some of
you are better at reading than others).

I already have my dslr and I really thank you for the help albeit my
(as usual) long winded approach.

I apologies yet again and thank you all,
gARY

gary@justservices.com

On Jun 15, 6:37*am, "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-
this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

> > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at

> > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at

> > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
> > have a function better than the other so what is it, IS the
> > question.

> > TIA,
> > gARY

> One answer might be:
>
> - Nikon because the kit-lens (18 - 55mm) has higher image quality
>
> - Nikon because they offer an 18 - 200mm image-stabilised carry round lens
>
> - Nikon because they offer a better selection of Macro lenses
>
> - Nikon because they offer more useful tilt-and-shift lenses
>
> but I actually bought Nikon because the camera felt better to handle than
> its Canon equivalent.
>
> David

I thank you for your reply.

Good luck,