Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Leica M8 field test; pretty good read.

Leica M8 field test; pretty good read.

Jufì

Michael Kamber, a working PJ with great credentials, reviews the Leica M8:

http://web.mac.com/kamberm/Leica_M8_...aq/Page_1.html

Don't write that check just yet...

Jeff R.

"Jufì" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:k1V4k.4284$Mu.2747@trndny07...
> Michael Kamber, a working PJ with great credentials, reviews the Leica M8:
>
> http://web.mac.com/kamberm/Leica_M8_...aq/Page_1.html
>
> Don't write that check just yet...

I'll say.

It sure highlights the M8 as a fashion-conscious show pony, rather than a
serious tool.

Glad I chose the Canon G9 instead. Not perfect - but closer at 1/10 the
price.

(and BTW - I wish that man would include "next page" links at the *bottom*
of each page! I bet he'd whine if Leica wrote pages like that.)

--
Jeff R.

Paul Furman

Jeff R. wrote:

> "Jufì" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Michael Kamber, a working PJ with great credentials, reviews the Leica
>> M8:
>>
>> http://web.mac.com/kamberm/Leica_M8_...aq/Page_1.html
>>
>> Don't write that check just yet...

> I'll say.
>
> It sure highlights the M8 as a fashion-conscious show pony, rather than
> a serious tool.
>
> Glad I chose the Canon G9 instead. Not perfect - but closer at 1/10 the
> price.
>
> (and BTW - I wish that man would include "next page" links at the
> *bottom* of each page! I bet he'd whine if Leica wrote pages like that.)

Ha, that bugged me too <g>. He makes some excellent points, though to be
fair my D200 & D70 have some problems with switches flipping that's
crazy to have to menu dive to adjust exposure compensation.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Jeff R.

"Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T4%4k.8490$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff R. wrote:
>> (and BTW - I wish that man would include "next page" links at the
>> *bottom* of each page! I bet he'd whine if Leica wrote pages like that.)

> Ha, that bugged me too <g>. He makes some excellent points, though to be
> fair my D200 & D70 have some problems with switches flipping that's crazy
> to have to menu dive to adjust exposure compensation.

He does make some excellent points. Quite a few, actually. Certainly
enough to nail the lid onto any ideas I may have had for getting an M8
myself. I loved my IIIF and lusted after my father's M4, so I am in the
prime demographic for Leica's marketer's. Got enough spare cash to plonk
out, too.

But - not anymore.

I've got my G9 at hand, and I just did a quick test. It took just under 2
seconds to go from off to taking a perfectly exposed and focused *flash*
shot of the room to my left. Exposure compensation is via one push-button,
then a ring-dial. ISO adjust through a dial on top. I can replace the SD
card in about three seconds. It shoots RAW. It cost me peanuts - by
comparison to an M8, at least. It fits in my (admittedly large) pocket.
(etc. etc. ad nauseum)

Did I mention I like my G9?

--
Jeff R.

Jufí

"Jeff R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:48546d32$0$30465$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Jufì" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Michael Kamber, a working PJ with great credentials, reviews the Leica
>> M8:
>>
>> http://web.mac.com/kamberm/Leica_M8_...aq/Page_1.html
>>
>> Don't write that check just yet...

> I'll say.
>
> It sure highlights the M8 as a fashion-conscious show pony, rather than a
> serious tool.

And that's the bottom line, it isn't a serious photographic tool, and that's
a crime. All that money and the 5D produces better results? Huh?

> Glad I chose the Canon G9 instead. Not perfect - but closer at 1/10 the
> price.

I chose the G9 as well as an adjunct to my SLR kit, and I really love it.
No, it won't replace the 5D, but for about 90% of what I shoot, it's a nice
setup. And I don't need an external hot filter...

> (and BTW - I wish that man would include "next page" links at the *bottom*
> of each page! I bet he'd whine if Leica wrote pages like that.)
>
> --
> Jeff R.

Jufí

"Jeff R." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4854ac14$0$17507$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Paul Furman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:T4%4k.8490$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jeff R. wrote:
>>> (and BTW - I wish that man would include "next page" links at the
>>> *bottom* of each page! I bet he'd whine if Leica wrote pages like
>>> that.)

>> Ha, that bugged me too <g>. He makes some excellent points, though to be
>> fair my D200 & D70 have some problems with switches flipping that's crazy
>> to have to menu dive to adjust exposure compensation.

> He does make some excellent points. Quite a few, actually. Certainly
> enough to nail the lid onto any ideas I may have had for getting an M8
> myself. I loved my IIIF and lusted after my father's M4, so I am in the
> prime demographic for Leica's marketer's. Got enough spare cash to plonk
> out, too.
>
> But - not anymore.
>
> I've got my G9 at hand, and I just did a quick test. It took just under 2
> seconds to go from off to taking a perfectly exposed and focused *flash*
> shot of the room to my left. Exposure compensation is via one
> push-button, then a ring-dial. ISO adjust through a dial on top. I can
> replace the SD card in about three seconds. It shoots RAW. It cost me
> peanuts - by comparison to an M8, at least. It fits in my (admittedly
> large) pocket. (etc. etc. ad nauseum)
>
> Did I mention I like my G9?

Yes, but keep on doing so. Those of us who also purchased one love the
positive reinforcement. All kidding aside, when the G7 was announced, I was
of the "no RAW no way" school. I picked up a Panny FZ50, and while it is a
nicely spec'd camera, I didn't care for the images. They were OK. If the G9
hadn't come out, I'd probably still have it, but the IQ from the G9 just
blew it away, and the RAW mode in the G9 is way more useable thatn any other
P&S out there. Best travel rig I've ever had.

the M8 was something I did consider briefly, but after the hot filter
debacle, I passed. Unreal that they'd release it. Kamber's review, of the
unit as a photographic tool, just put the final nail in the coffin. Leica
apologists will always find a way to rationalize it, but forget it...