Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Linksys wireless adapter stopped working in win98se

Linksys wireless adapter stopped working in win98se

ntradd@yahoo.com

I've been using a Linksys WUSB54g v.4 USB wireless adapter on an old
Thinkpad running win98se. This setup had been working great for
connecting the Thinkpad to our home network. But then just randomly
the wireless adapter stopped working right. It powers up and connects
to the router and the internet when the computer boots up, but then
the power light just goes off after about 2 minutes, and the
connection is dropped. Same exact pattern every time I boot the
laptop. I've done everything I can think of to fix this. I've
uninstalled everything I've installed recently; I've tried unplugging
and reconnecting the adapter's USB cable; I've tried the wireless
adapter on another computer, and it works fine; I've tried different
USB ports. Any help would be appreciated.

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

My guess would be that the USB hub in that ThinkPad is dying. All of
the USB ports on that laptop are undoubtedly powered thru the same USB
hub so it wouldn't matter which port you used. Do you have any other
USB powered devices you could plug into it to test? One of those USB
LED lamps would be perfect.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I've been using a Linksys WUSB54g v.4 USB wireless adapter on an old
> Thinkpad running win98se. This setup had been working great for
> connecting the Thinkpad to our home network. But then just randomly
> the wireless adapter stopped working right. It powers up and connects
> to the router and the internet when the computer boots up, but then
> the power light just goes off after about 2 minutes, and the
> connection is dropped. Same exact pattern every time I boot the
> laptop. I've done everything I can think of to fix this. I've
> uninstalled everything I've installed recently; I've tried unplugging
> and reconnecting the adapter's USB cable; I've tried the wireless
> adapter on another computer, and it works fine; I've tried different
> USB ports. Any help would be appreciated.

> Checked by AVG.

Checked by AVG.
6/13/2008 6:33 AM

ntradd@yahoo.com

Actually I use an acomdata 160GB portable USB drive with do problem. I
thought maybe it was sucking power, so I disconnect it when I use the
wireless adapter, but I've had no problem with the USB drive; just
used it this morning in fact.