Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network Management

Wireless network Management

Jayant patil

I recently installed wireless networking (802.11g) in my workplace.

How can i come to know who is connected to my wireless AP at present?
Similarly can i come to know who( MAC address ) was connected to AP in
past , or who tried to connect this AP?

AP is acting as DHCP server also.Can anyone suggest suitable wireless
network mgmt tool which can help me.

Brian McMullen

You can usually access this info from the admin/config page of the wireless
router. Look under the DHCP settings for the current IP's being used and the
mac addy's being used by each.

-Brian

"Jayant patil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
>I recently installed wireless networking (802.11g) in my workplace.
>
> How can i come to know who is connected to my wireless AP at present?
> Similarly can i come to know who( MAC address ) was connected to AP in
> past , or who tried to connect this AP?
>
> AP is acting as DHCP server also.Can anyone suggest suitable wireless
> network mgmt tool which can help me.

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

There are ways to know, but it might be complicated, expensive, and not necessarily
working with all Hardware. Peeking into the Wireless Routerí DHCP list usually provides
the current IP and MAC of the current users. However you can Not spend your days peeking
every few minutes into the Routerís DHCP list.

The common Approach to Wireless (unless you want to provide a free hot spot) is to
secure the system and make it so that only computers with permission can log on.

WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

Or and to isolate your main Network from the Wireless.

Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Brian McMullen" <brianmataetnadotcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can usually access this info from the admin/config page of the wireless
> router. Look under the DHCP settings for the current IP's being used and the
> mac addy's being used by each.
>
> -Brian
>

> "Jayant patil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> >I recently installed wireless networking (802.11g) in my workplace.
> >
> > How can i come to know who is connected to my wireless AP at present?
> > Similarly can i come to know who( MAC address ) was connected to AP in
> > past , or who tried to connect this AP?
> >
> > AP is acting as DHCP server also.Can anyone suggest suitable wireless
> > network mgmt tool which can help me.

Jeff Liebermann

On 3 Apr 2005 23:45:27 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jayant
patil) wrote:

>I recently installed wireless networking (802.11g) in my workplace.
>
>How can i come to know who is connected to my wireless AP at present?
>Similarly can i come to know who( MAC address ) was connected to AP in
>past , or who tried to connect this AP?

Well, if your unspecified hardware supports SNMP, the list of
connected MAC addresses is easily available. If not, there are ways
of sniffing the LAN for new MAC addresses such as Ethereal.

>AP is acting as DHCP server also.Can anyone suggest suitable wireless
>network mgmt tool which can help me.

Search Google for "Wireless Intrusion Detection". There are quite a
few listed. If you just want something simple for Windoze, see:
http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/
I don't have a huge amount of experience with AirSnare, but it does
seem to work. My main complaint is that it requires that a monitoring
PC be turned on all the time. I prefer sending the collected data to
a syslog server, and analyzing the results at my non-existent leisure.

I'm not sure you would want "who tried to connect". When I do that, I
get every passing wireless PDA, neighbor, war driver, and such. It
also requires that the sniffing be done on the wireless side of the
bridge. A connection attempt, with no success, will not show up with
any packets on the wired LAN side. Basically, the MAC address
sniffers only detect successful connections (those with correct
WEP/WPA keys).

--
Jeff Liebermann http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

myWIFIzone

You can block access using our free WIFI internet access blocker
software - see http://www.myWIFIzone.com When you have blocking turned
on, you get a message showing IP and MAC address of blocked computer.
It doesn't log anything yet - maybe a later version.