Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony A-100 vs a-700

Sony A-100 vs a-700

william.morton@va.gov

I have the Sony A-100 camera. I believe I get great photos from this
camera. I take lots of photos. In fact I never leave home or anywhere
else without my camera. I have owned my Sony A-100 for about a year. I
would like to start making some money doing small jobs. I have already
been paid for a couple of small jobs. Kids birthday parties, 50
wedding adversary parties. The reason I want to start getting paid for
taking photos is not to get rich. Itís just that I have the knack or
feel to take great photos because I enjoy it so much. Okay, I'm
thinking about buying the Sony A-700. I thinking all my lenses,
batteries, and other thinks I have bought for my A-100 will fit the
A-700. So All I really need is the basic A-700 camera without anything
else. Has any body that is reading this way to long babble, gone from
the A-100 to the A-700? Or anybody who has any comment in general
about this topic or anything related. Please jump in. I can always use
the help from many many people who know way more than me. Iím ready to
learn. Thanks, Bill.
Note: for some reason I really like the Sony product

Dev/Null

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Minolta made good cameras, but I wouldn't waste money on Sony crap. They
(Sony) has said if they don't get 15% of the dSLR market by FY 2009 they
would withdraw from the market. They have about 2%, they are killing their
own market with too many dSLR choices, FY 2008 they launched the A200, A700,
A300, A350 ... two more consumer dSLRs by year's end, and their "so-called"
Pro full-frame toy. Having a pro featured camera doesn't get you
market-share~

Not mad, but nearly...

[...]

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the a700.

I didn't think much of mine when I bought it a few months ago - mainly
because of my high expectation regarding chroma noise.

Let no-one kid you - it's noisier than the 40D, especially at lower ISO's
(even as low as 200, sometimes) and that wasn't what I was expecting from a
CMOS sensor.

However, I then discovered Bibble. IMO Bibble is essential for any A700
owner, the built-in noise ninja feature performs absolute miracles with
those a700 files - enabling use of ISO's far in excess of anything the Canon
can muster.

The end results (after Bibble) as extremely similar to high ISO images from
the D300 - and, of course, the Sony also gives you a modicum of image
stabilisation. I say 'modicum' because the Sony system doesn't seem quite
as effective as the Pentax or Olympus versions - but still very worthwhile.

Had it not been for Bibble I'd have sold the A700 - but I have to say that
I'm now a very happy camper. Sure, it's not perfect, but it offers features
and performance that exceed my own skill love and (most importantly for me)
allows nice clean images at high ISO's. I've barely used the flashgun that
I bought with the A700 because of the A700/Bibble high ISO results.

Not mad, but nearly...

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Not mad, but nearly...
> says...
>>
>> the Sony also gives you a modicum of image
>> stabilisation. I say 'modicum' because the Sony system doesn't seem
>> quite
>> as effective as the Pentax or Olympus versions - but still very
>> worthwhile.

> What makes do you think so? Do you have any reviews?

I've owned and used a K10D, Samsung GX-10, Olympus 510, Sony A700

The Olympus was the best - but was shooting at shorter FL's due to the
maximum range of the lens I had 40-150 (80-300 with crop factor) it also
had a 'panning' mode.

Pentax was next - used with 70-300 (450mm equivalent)

Sony comes in last - used with similar FL's to the others - and, with the
Sigma 170-500 you really *do* need to get that shutter speed up, IS
notwithstanding.

As I said, the Sony system works - but just doesn't seem as good as the
other two (perhaps, given the shorter FL of the Olympus, it would be fairer
to say that it's not as good as the Pentax, for sure)