Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > SPA3102 - Poor Call Quality if Called User is in a Noisy Environment

SPA3102 - Poor Call Quality if Called User is in a Noisy Environment

Mike Sun

Running an SPA3102 with default settings on 5.1.7 (GW) firmware, call
quality is generally good. However, if the called number is in a more noisy
environment, that call recipient often complains of bad call quality.

I assume that the problem is due to echo cancellation not working so well in
noisy places and was wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues and
perhaps made any improvement by tweaking some parameters such as in the
"Audio Configuration" section of the "Line 1" tab.

Avoiding using the handsfree mode on the handset usually improves matters
slightly but not completely.

Any comments most welcome - Cheers from Mike

Sinna

Mike Sun wrote:
> Running an SPA3102 with default settings on 5.1.7 (GW) firmware, call
> quality is generally good. However, if the called number is in a more noisy
> environment, that call recipient often complains of bad call quality.
>
> I assume that the problem is due to echo cancellation not working so well in
> noisy places and was wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues and
> perhaps made any improvement by tweaking some parameters such as in the
> "Audio Configuration" section of the "Line 1" tab.
>
> Avoiding using the handsfree mode on the handset usually improves matters
> slightly but not completely.
>
> Any comments most welcome - Cheers from Mike

The same issue here.
When I'm calling my parents, the first thing I have to ask it to switch
off hands-free, otherwise there's no conversation at all.

Sinna

Theo Markettos

Sinna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The same issue here.
> When I'm calling my parents, the first thing I have to ask it to switch
> off hands-free, otherwise there's no conversation at all.

I get a buzzing sound from a SPA3102 when calling it via Sipgate from a
landline, which doesn't happen when using a softphone. I've tried two
(basic, wired, no handsfree) phones and it's still there. It's a few metres
away from the fridge, but wouldn't have thought that would be close enough
to cause problems, and there's no significant background audio. I haven't
tried fiddling with any of the audio settings (not knowing which to fiddle).

Theo

Sinna

Theo Markettos wrote:
> Sinna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The same issue here.
>> When I'm calling my parents, the first thing I have to ask it to switch
>> off hands-free, otherwise there's no conversation at all.

> I get a buzzing sound from a SPA3102 when calling it via Sipgate from a
> landline, which doesn't happen when using a softphone. I've tried two
> (basic, wired, no handsfree) phones and it's still there. It's a few metres
> away from the fridge, but wouldn't have thought that would be close enough
> to cause problems, and there's no significant background audio. I haven't
> tried fiddling with any of the audio settings (not knowing which to fiddle).
>
> Theo

What do you mean with 'buzzing'? Like a buzzer? English is not my native
language...
If like a buzzer, I don't experience the same using VoipCheap.

Sinna

Theo Markettos

Sinna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What do you mean with 'buzzing'? Like a buzzer? English is not my native
> language...

Yes. The noise a bee makes when it's flying (but lower in pitch).

> If like a buzzer, I don't experience the same using VoipCheap.

I don't really know where to start in tracking it down as I think I've
eliminated the hardware options. It's on VoipCheap outbound so I suppose I
could try that.

Theo

Sinna

Theo Markettos wrote:
> Sinna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What do you mean with 'buzzing'? Like a buzzer? English is not my native
>> language...

> Yes. The noise a bee makes when it's flying (but lower in pitch).
>
>> If like a buzzer, I don't experience the same using VoipCheap.

> I don't really know where to start in tracking it down as I think I've
> eliminated the hardware options. It's on VoipCheap outbound so I suppose I
> could try that.
>
> Theo

I had a much better voice quality when setting the impedances of the
FXO-port correctly. It depends on the telecom provider (and I think also
on the country).
Perhaps you can take a look on that.

Sinna

Sound/call quality tweaks (on an SPA3102)... Jose UK VOIP 13 04-03-2008 11:55 AM
SPA3102 PSTN Audio quality Jono UK VOIP 3 09-07-2007 10:01 PM
noisy cpu fan, I replaced with another and it is still noisy Ed Computer Support 3 01-23-2007 07:08 PM
SPA3102 PSTN quality Oldie UK VOIP 15 10-10-2006 02:45 PM
THE Difference Between Good Quality and Poor Quality Pictures! N.E.1. Digital Photography 4 09-23-2003 02:43 AM

Advertisments