Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Fast image browser

Re: Fast image browser

me@mine.net

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:54:30 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron Hunter
>says...
>
>> I have never noticed Faststone being slow on any image, even on my
>> 1.4GHz 512 meg laptop. Could you have something loaded that is
>> competing for CPU cycles?

>That does not explain why Compupic is so fast on the same machine...

If it does what you want then use it. If it doesn't do what you want
then it's not necessarily a fair comparison. It takes more
computations to apply an embedded ICC profile.

me@mine.net

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:56:06 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, says...
>
>> If it does what you want then use it. If it doesn't do what you want
>> then it's not necessarily a fair comparison. It takes more
>> computations to apply an embedded ICC profile.

>Maybe, but does applying an embedded ICC profile make the software six
>times slower? A bit hard to believe.

No Alfred it is hard to believe what an idiot you are to make such
illogical statements as you have in this thread. You have no idea of the
accuracy of the algorithms used to decode the jpeg in either program (I'm
assuming this as your OP didn't have the courtesy to even mention the image
format your are dealing with), nor mention how each was configured to
display the image. Did it need to be resized? Was it resampled? Were there
any other settings in the programs which might have affected the time it
takes to render to the screen? Did you even get off your fat ass and change
the CMS option in FastStone Image Viewer to use/not use CMS? The default is
not, doing so might have actually allowed you to look at the effect of
using CMS at least in a single application. Did you even look at the
FastStone MaxView application? It is a supposedly leaner image viewer which
also can use CMS if you set it up appropriately?

Dave Martindale

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Maybe, but does applying an embedded ICC profile make the software six
>times slower? A bit hard to believe.

It could, depending on the algorithm and its implementation. During
a transform from one 3-colour space into another, you're evaluating
three different 3-paramater functions. If the colour transform is
linear, this is "merely" multiplying a 3-vector by a 3x3 matrix. But
the more general case involves something like three 3D interpolations
between values in a table.

How fast is FastStone at decoding a same-size image with no colour
profile attached?

Dave

Paul Furman

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <g2utl6$6ir$(E-Mail Removed)>, Dave Martindale says...
>
>> It could, depending on the algorithm and its implementation. During
>> a transform from one 3-colour space into another, you're evaluating
>> three different 3-paramater functions. If the colour transform is
>> linear, this is "merely" multiplying a 3-vector by a 3x3 matrix. But
>> the more general case involves something like three 3D interpolations
>> between values in a table.
>>
>> How fast is FastStone at decoding a same-size image with no colour
>> profile attached?

> I didn't try that, but it turns out that ACDSee Pro 2 is capable of
> displaying correctly AdobeRGB images very quickly, only 20% slower than
> Compupic. Still a factor 5 faster than Faststone.

ACDSee is a pretty good browser. The last version I used had the handy
ability to maintain zoom and position while flipping through a set
comparing and it was quite speedy.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net