Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Add Wireless to our existing network

Add Wireless to our existing network

CK

Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
for visitors to our offices. Current network is DSL modem, connected
directly to firewall then switch which distributes to the network.
Two questions:

1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth. any
issues with that or advice?

2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?

I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
different subnet etc - is this advisable?

Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

If your firewall and switch can do VLAN, then you can have different subnets
for the private LAN and public LAN. Most Cisco firewall and switch can limit
bandwidth based on IP or subnet. router/modem with QoS may help some.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"CK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
> for visitors to our offices. Current network is DSL modem, connected
> directly to firewall then switch which distributes to the network.
> Two questions:
>
> 1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
> and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth. any
> issues with that or advice?
>
> 2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
> can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
> what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?
>
> I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
> different subnet etc - is this advisable?
>
> Thanks

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It is rather simple to do this with two Routers.
Here how; Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"CK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
> for visitors to our offices. Current network is DSL modem, connected
> directly to firewall then switch which distributes to the network.
> Two questions:
>
> 1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
> and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth. any
> issues with that or advice?
>
> 2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
> can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
> what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?
>
> I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
> different subnet etc - is this advisable?
>
> Thanks

CK

On 12 Jun, 13:45, "Frankster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
> > for visitors to our offices.

> This statement means nothing. Technically it doesn't matter if they are
> visiting or permenant. What do you mean? Do you mean you want them to have
> access to your network? No? *Access to the Internet only and not your
> network? What? I assume the latter, but, might they need to use your
> printers?
> > Current network is DSL modem, connected directly to firewall
> > then switch which distributes to the network.
> > Two questions:
> > 1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
> > and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth. *any
> > issues with that or advice?

> Security for what? Connecting to the DSL modem wirless would mean they would
> be on the same subnet as the outside interface of your firewall. If that's
> okay... you're done.
> > 2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
> > can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
> > what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?

> If you want a selective bandwidth limiting device be prepared to pay big
> bucks. Here's one:
>
> http://www.etinc.com/product_info.ph...&osCsid=67d76f....
>
> > I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
> > different subnet etc - is this advisable?

> Most folks probably do it this way.
>
> -Frank

Thanks Frank. Want them to connect to the internet only.
The external subnet wont be a problem as local network is shielded
behind firewall, with a different internal IP and subnet for local
network.
Thanks again.

CK

On 12 Jun, 22:21, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> It is rather simple to do this with two Routers.
> Here how; *Network Segregation - *http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "CK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Planning to add wireless capability onto our existing network purely
> > for visitors to our offices. *Current network is DSL modem, connected
> > directly to firewall then switch which distributes to the network.
> > Two questions:

> > 1. I want to connect the new wireless router directly to the DSL modem
> > and bypass our network completly - for security and bandwidth. *any
> > issues with that or advice?

> > 2. As the wireless will be directly connected to the DSL modem, how
> > can i limit the bandwidth being used on wireless? or put differently
> > what's a good wireless router that has feature to limit bandwidth?

> > I know I can connect the wireless router into the switch and have a
> > different subnet etc - is this advisable?

> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Robert, will have a look at my equipment and see if QOS is
available.
Thanks Jack, this was helpful. Think I have a better idea now.
Very grateful for all your help.